Droid x Gingerbread update broke my skymaps?

Roger

Jun 2, 2011, 12:21:31 AM6/2/11
to Google Sky Map
Bought my Droid x new from Verizon last week. Skymaps worked great
until last night. Updated to 2.3 OTA per Verizon, and skymaps now
flips out (I move the phone from north to west on horizon and skymaps
moves to the east and twitches. Recalibrated compass, reinstalled
skymaps, turned on all location services, even entered my location
manually and same thing. Any ideas? Sure would like to get this fixed,
as the app is great!

Harshad RJ

Jun 2, 2011, 10:48:11 AM6/2/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
The update affects a lot of apps. It doesn't seem to affect the Compass app (by catch.com).

My hunch is that the getRotationMatrix API in some versions of GingerBread has regressed. The apps that only use the magnetometer are working fine.

Checkout these links for reference:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-general-discussion/22721-map-compass-backwards-3.html

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=336f954f1aaca3b8&hl=en

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=1aba537e3b9714e0&hl=en
--
Harshad RJ
http://twitter.com/h__r__j

Roger

Jun 2, 2011, 10:57:07 AM6/2/11
to Google Sky Map
Thanks for the info. Well, I did the whole tech support thing to no
avail (they were very helpful, but could not fix the problem). Using
stock 2.3 (no additional apps) after factory reset, I open
maps...point north to horizon, all is well, it shows me facing north.
Lift phone 45 degrees above horizon and it jumps all over and then
flips to south (while still pointing north)!! It's seems almost as if
the phone thinks it's pointing straight up overhead when really it's
not, but that's just a guess on my part. Anyways, it worked fine
before June 1,now it doesn't...oh well. Wondering if anyone else has
tried this yet?

On Jun 2, 10:48 am, Harshad RJ <harshad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The update affects a lot of apps. It doesn't seem to affect the Compass app
> (by catch.com).
>
> My hunch is that the getRotationMatrix API in some versions of GingerBread
> has regressed. The apps that only use the magnetometer are working fine.
>
> Checkout these links for reference:
>
> http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-general-discussion/2272...
>
> http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=336f95...
>
> http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=1aba53...

Martial Purdy

Jun 2, 2011, 11:00:53 AM6/2/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Google, I dont know why I keep getting everyones tech support emails for google skymap but I sure wish it would stop. Thank you
--
Dhyan Jayananda Martial Purdy  ~Jai Ayurvedic Technician, C.M.T., Kunlun Nei Gung Method Apprentice

Life is but a Dream

Kevin Serafini

Jun 7, 2011, 12:02:17 PM6/7/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Roger,

We did a bit of experimentation this morning, and the problem seems to be in the sensor code in the Droid X's Gingerbread implementation. We are in touch with our partner rep and are working through the problem. I'll keep the list informed as new information becomes available.

The bad news is that if it requires an system update, it will have to come over the air from Verizon, which means that it will probably take a while. Again, I'll let you know as much as I can.

Later,
Kevin

PS: I am a Droid X user, too. :-(

Jai

Jun 7, 2011, 1:02:24 PM6/7/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Why did I get this message? I have nothing to do with this discussion.
From the JaiDroid

Jérémy Naegel

Jun 7, 2011, 1:09:08 PM6/7/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Well, I suppose you did join the Skymap group at some point, otherwise you wouldn't be on the mailing list...

Anyway, if you don't want to receive those emails, simply go to https://groups.google.com/group/google-sky-map/subscribe?hl=en
From this page, choose "No Email" and save the settings (or click Unsubscribe to fully leave the group).

Jai

Jun 7, 2011, 2:01:05 PM6/7/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Nope. Never did.
From the JaiDroid

kenc3dan

Jun 24, 2011, 7:59:22 AM6/24/11
to Google Sky Map
Can confirm same behavior here. 2.3, calibrated compass, Droid X.
Seems like axial sensors have some crosstalk, up-down affecting left-
right etc.

On Jun 2, 12:21 am, Roger <bullwhip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bought myDroidxnew from Verizon last week. Skymaps worked great

Harshad RJ

Jul 1, 2011, 8:21:52 AM7/1/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Kevin,

It seems like Google Maps 5.6 fixed the East-West reversal issue for itself:
http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/Google-Maps-update-5-6-possible-east-west-compass-fix/m-p/560562

(I don't have a Droid X so can't confirm)

If it is true, you could try it in Sky Map, and also let other developers know what the solution is?

cheers,

Kevin Serafini

Jul 9, 2011, 9:18:38 AM7/9/11
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Harshad,

Bad news. I spent all day yesterday trying to get the work around to work in Sky Map and failed. :-(

Turns out that the compass is broken in a pretty weird way. In fact, its broken differently in landscape and portrait mode. That means that there is a big discontinuity when the phone switches between the two (which happens at arbitrary times), and it looks pretty bad. Also, the Maps guys are only worried about azimuth (i.e., compass direction), whereas we need both azimuth and altitude. Sigh.

I'm going to try to play around with it a bit more over the weekend and see what I can do.

Later,
Kevin

kenc3dan

Aug 2, 2011, 11:59:24 PM8/2/11
to Google Sky Map
Just no getting around it. Google Sky Map, arguably the coolest
Android app, does not work on a benchmark phone like the Droid X. So
sad.