Screw Social. How do I just get RSS + Note in Reader?

Nathan Smith

Oct 31, 2011, 10:03:45 PM10/31/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
A lot of the posts here and elsewhere seem to have people using Reader in different ways. What it was to me was a "read this later" filing place like Instapaper with all my RSS feeds that I could get to in one click from my mail. I never shared with anybody on there, just kept a starred list of things to read.

Does anyone know of any feed readers with a Note In Reader or Instapaper type of feature? Any other ideas on apps that do this?

Thanks,

Nathan

Steve Conover

Oct 31, 2011, 11:00:49 PM10/31/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
You could probably just star items in the new interface.

If you weren't in it for the social stuff then it's probably still a
good tool for you.

Leah Libresco

Oct 31, 2011, 11:03:58 PM10/31/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
No, what I think Nathan is missing is the same thing I'm also missing.  I used to use 'Note in Reader' to share things, but I'd also use it to clip and tag articles that I wasn't sharing.  I used 'Note in Reader' to do most of my filing for my thesis and now I can't!

Nathan Smith

Oct 31, 2011, 11:26:23 PM10/31/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
That's right. What I thought would work is to grab the RSS feed from Delicious, Instapaper, or Read it Later, but that's not working for me.

I just emailed Instapaper support, Opened a discussion (http://support.readitlaterlist.com/discussions/problems/2356-rss-feed-not-working-in-new-google-reader) on Read it Later's support, and made a sad face when reading "a note on freshness" on http://delicious.com/help/feeds.

I might try pinboard or a self-hosted service to get my links into Reader. I really don't mind the new redesign, and I want all my RSS somewhere easy to get to, but the ability to store things to read I come across is really important.

Nathan

j38us

Nov 1, 2011, 1:50:33 AM11/1/11
to Google Reader Diaspora
Pinboard's bookmarklet records the selected text (no formatting
information is recorded), but the data isn't POSTed, it's just a query
parameter. This limits the size of the clipped text. They support
RSS feeds for any combination of tags on your account.

For Leah, Evernote's web clipper has something much more like Note In
Reader, but the export is pretty weak (you can't seem to export to an
RSS feed).

Both of these services are awesome, IMHO, though neither is quite what
Nathan is looking for.

- Lucas

On Oct 31, 8:26 pm, Nathan Smith <nllo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's right. What I thought would work is to grab the RSS feed from
> Delicious, Instapaper, or Read it Later, but that's not working for me.
>
> I just emailed Instapaper support, Opened a discussion (http://support.readitlaterlist.com/discussions/problems/2356-rss-feed...)
> on Read it Later's support, and made a sad face when reading "a note on
> freshness" onhttp://delicious.com/help/feeds.

j38us

Nov 1, 2011, 2:06:20 AM11/1/11
to Google Reader Diaspora

Juan Luis Chulilla

Nov 1, 2011, 4:34:55 AM11/1/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com

Leah, i suffered a similar experience with other software in 2000 with my thesis. Paranoia and redundancy are your loyal allies with your thesis: use redundant pieces of software. For instance, after del.icio.us affair, I use both diigo and evernote

hmtechnology

Nov 1, 2011, 7:26:49 AM11/1/11
to Google Reader Diaspora
I have a similar problem...
I used the "Note in Reader" bookmarklet a lot...and now it doesn't
work anymore...it was a gold function because you could tag an article
you were reading (outside gReader) and it automatically put that
article in your gReader with the tag.
Now this is utopia....

On 1 Nov, 04:03, Leah Libresco <leah.libre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, what I think Nathan is missing is the same thing I'm also missing.  I
> used to use 'Note in Reader' to share things, but I'd also use it to clip
> and tag articles that I wasn't sharing.  I used 'Note in Reader' to do most
> of my filing for my thesis and now I can't!
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Steve Conover <scono...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You could probably just star items in the new interface.
>
> > If you weren't in it for the social stuff then it's probably still a
> > good tool for you.

Steve Conover

Nov 1, 2011, 10:15:58 AM11/1/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
Tumblr has quoting capabilities plus a bookmarklet, might be worth trying.

Juan Luis Chulilla

Nov 1, 2011, 10:50:54 AM11/1/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
Tumblr is not a direct replacement. We (our little community of sharers) are using posterous as a stopgap measure, but we are looking for a good and simple replacement of the old experience of buzz / social reader. We will bet for a Open Source solution if possible: Reader has revealed that The Cloud can turn itself really bad for users.
--
------

Dr. Juan Luis Chulilla Cano
Director, Online and Offline, S.L.
Telf.: 91 5233401
www.onlineandoffline.net

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
I don't think a greater genius has walked the earth. Of the 3 great composers Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us what it's like to be Beethoven and Bach tells us what it's like to be the universe.

Douglas Adams

Alex Chaffee

Nov 1, 2011, 10:56:29 AM11/1/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
> I used the "Note in Reader" bookmarklet a lot...and now it doesn't
> work anymore...it was a gold function because you could tag an article
> you were reading (outside gReader) and it automatically put that
> article in your gReader with the tag.

I used tumblr for that. Its bookmarklet works pretty well (though I'm
annoyed at some of its limitations).

I added my own tumblog at the top of my RSS feed list, and when I'd
tumbled a quote or link or photo I wanted to share, I opened it in
Reader and hit Shift-S for "Share".

Note that I didn't *always* do this; I knew a few friends subscribed
to my tumblog directly. This was just for the stuff I wanted to rile
up the beehive!

(I love how Google, intending to drive people to Plus, will drive
people to Tumblr and Posterous and other services that actually solve
their problems. Sweet irony!)
---

Changing topics slightly... (and I maybe should make a new top-level
post for this)

I'm on a jury right now -- yes, it has been a crazy couple of weeks,
thanks for asking -- but when the trial ends I will take some time and
write some code and revive some of these useful yet cruelly
assassinated Reader features. At this point I'd like to gather feature
requests. I'm thinking of a couple of things:

* unify the various terms (share, note, item) around "share" (a la "sharebro")

* a "share" bookmarklet
* that automatically grabs the useful text of the page
* or what's selected
* and publishes a new item to...

* an RSS feed of a person's shares
* that can be subscribed to in any RSS reader e.g. Nootered Reader
* sort of like tumblr or posterous
* and may in fact *be* a tumblr or posterous blog, or be synced to it

* a chrome extension and/or firefox plugin
* that munges the new Reader UI HTML
* adds a "Share" button to sit next to the hideous "Share on Google+" button
* easily pulls in your friends' shares as RSS subscriptions in a new
"shares" Reader folder
* also syncs Plus comments somehow and displays them inside Reader
* Comment View might be tough but it's also on the bluesky list.

BTW my ninja page is still there.
http://www.google.com/reader/shared/alexch

Possible implementations...

* https://plus.google.com/u/0/106783479174075930723/posts/hvAMgzHXRgx
describes using a "bundle" which is a Reader feature

* http://www.ridllr.com/implementation_details creates a "public tag"
and uses google signin (and its app is also called Stream Pool)
"ridllr is requesting permission to:
Manage your data in Google Reader
View and manage your subscriptions, likes, and shares"

I think ridllr and I have basically the same idea, but we may disagree
on the details. I've emailed the author and haven't heard back yet. I
wonder/worry if his stuff is open source, too.

* any more thoughts?

--
Alex Chaffee - al...@stinky.com
http://alexchaffee.com

yog

Nov 1, 2011, 11:18:00 AM11/1/11
to Google Reader Diaspora
If you have your own web hosting you can try shaarli :
http://sebsauvage.net/wiki/doku.php?id=php:shaarli
an open source project doing the same thing except the sharing stuff
(but you can publicly display your sharing + you can have a multi
contributor option)

I use it both as a "read it later" tool and as an advanced bookmark
manager I can access from everywhere without having to rely on a third
party company server.
Worth a look
> *https://plus.google.com/u/0/106783479174075930723/posts/hvAMgzHXRgx
> describes using a "bundle" which is a Reader feature
>
> *http://www.ridllr.com/implementation_detailscreates a "public tag"
> and uses google signin (and its app is also called Stream Pool)
>   "ridllr is requesting permission to:
>   Manage your data in Google Reader
>   View and manage your subscriptions, likes, and shares"
>
> I think ridllr and I have basically the same idea, but we may disagree
> on the details. I've emailed the author and haven't heard back yet. I
> wonder/worry if his stuff is open source, too.
>
> * any more thoughts?
>
> --
> Alex Chaffee - a...@stinky.comhttp://alexchaffee.comhttp://twitter.com/alexch

Steve Conover

Nov 1, 2011, 3:21:05 PM11/1/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
> We will
> bet for a Open Source solution if possible: Reader has revealed that The
> Cloud can turn itself really bad for users.

Along with OSS often comes fragmentation, and there's no central
operator you can trust (with your identity, to keep the service
running).

Just my opinion - but I think a Pinboard/Instapaper model (small
operator that can at least support themselves using proceeds from the
service) is more ideal.

Juan Luis Chulilla

Nov 1, 2011, 3:35:07 PM11/1/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
I don't see how fragmentation is assured by FOSS, when there are plenty of counterexamples.

I don't have problem in paying for support a project, but an open source license assures that you are not goint to suffer more arbitrarieties from your service provider.

JT Olds

Nov 1, 2011, 3:39:26 PM11/1/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
Dunno how HiveMined will turn out, but I've started work on an AGPLv3
GReader clone. My /current/ plan is to essentially make an OSS
single-user App Engine/SuperFeedr app that can talk to other
single-user App Engine apps via some sort of federated sharing. That
way each user has their own source, own App Engine quotas, own
SuperFeedr quotas, etc.

It's possible that with the pricing models of SuperFeedr/App Engine it
will still make sense to make it a multi-user hosted service, but
we'll see.

-JT

Alex Chaffee

Nov 1, 2011, 3:57:50 PM11/1/11
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM, JT Olds <he...@jtolds.com> wrote:
> Dunno how HiveMined will turn out, but I've started work on an AGPLv3
> GReader clone. My /current/ plan is to essentially make an OSS
> single-user App Engine/SuperFeedr app that can talk to other
> single-user App Engine apps via some sort of federated sharing. That
> way each user has their own source, own App Engine quotas, own
> SuperFeedr quotas, etc.

This is a nice model, and I've been thinking of something similar for
a (still on the drawing board) version on http://testfirst.org --
where each student will spawn his own Heroku (or AppEngine or whatever
cloud) instance with his own load quota and database. I would maintain
a central server, probably running different code, that would collect
stats and possibly push updates.

My current "OMG MUST REPLACE READER BUT HOW" plan is to not *replace*
Nooter (*) but to augment it via JS hacks. But whatever I do would
rely on open standards (RSS, Atom), open APIs, and open source code,
even if I do end up deciding to get paid for some parts of it someday.

(*) Neutered Google Reader = Nooter

I'm concerned for Francis since the underlying technical problem of
tracking the entire blogosphere, assigning unique ids to posts,
managing updates, caching items that have scrolled off the current
feed, etc. etc. is pretty hard, and so is writing a responsive full
HTML5 GUI.

- A

JT Olds

Nov 1, 2011, 4:03:40 PM11/1/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
> I'm concerned for Francis since the underlying technical problem of
> tracking the entire blogosphere, assigning unique ids to posts,
> managing updates, caching items that have scrolled off the current
> feed, etc. etc. is pretty hard, and so is writing a responsive full
> HTML5 GUI.

I don't know what technology stack he's using, but things like
http://superfeedr.com and http://ayup.us/ should help the "tracking"
aspect tremendously, in fact, it's kind of already done.

As for HTML5, jQuery is pretty awesome.

Jeremiah Jacobs

Nov 1, 2011, 4:15:30 PM11/1/11
to Google Reader Diaspora
I use Reader as a curated search pile.

My thousands upon thousands of "shares" were little more than a pool
of articles to search when say, needing to win a political argument on
FB.

The social aspect usually consisted of people ten times smarter than
me writing comments on shares in their respective fields (in one case,
a CO2 researcher would comment on my climate shares... talk about
getting schooled..) I also used Reader to shave roughly $1k off an
auto-repair bill due to the leveling of an information-asymmetry
between myself and the retailer.

In short - this thing had VALUE.

But the new thing, not so much at all.

Did anyone else use Reader as a curator / pre-qual search tool?

Jeremiah Jacobs

Nov 1, 2011, 4:15:45 PM11/1/11
to Google Reader Diaspora
Is there a way to search your starred items? other people's?

Steve Conover

Nov 1, 2011, 6:07:34 PM11/1/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
Is what you guys are talking about useful beyond Reader users who are
also determined coder types?

colin j

Nov 1, 2011, 7:49:24 PM11/1/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
JJ - That's about half of how I use Reader.  I'm a blogger at various venues, so it's basically my archive of research to fall back on whenever I'm doing a research-heavy post or am asked anything by my readers.  It's my second brain.  Seems like the archives are intact and remain searchable.  The redesign makes it harder to use of course.

Jeremiah Jacobs

Nov 1, 2011, 9:32:35 PM11/1/11
to Google Reader Diaspora
"It's my second brain."

This. A thousand times, this.

Somebody carved out a piece of my (extended) brain. I don't even know
how to cope with that. It's like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless
Reader. I've lost a proverbial Library at Alexandria of curated links.

On Nov 1, 4:49 pm, colin j <colin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> JJ - That's about half of how I use Reader.  I'm a blogger at various
> venues, so it's basically my archive of research to fall back on whenever
> I'm doing a research-heavy post or am asked anything by my readers.  It's
> my second brain.  Seems like the archives are intact and remain searchable.
>  The redesign makes it harder to use of course.
>

> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Steve Conover <scono...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is what you guys are talking about useful beyond Reader users who are
> > also determined coder types?
>
> > > Alex Chaffee - a...@stinky.com
> > >http://alexchaffee.com
> > >http://twitter.com/alexch

j38us

Nov 1, 2011, 9:57:23 PM11/1/11
to Google Reader Diaspora
Yeah, definitely. And it's so stupid: they could have just put all
your shared items into a tag "shared", and then the search-in-shared
functionality would work just like their current search-in-tag
functionality.

It would not be hard at all to turn the shared-items.json file into a
file which could be imported into Pinboard or Delicious. I pay for
Pinboard's full-text searching functionality (something like $25/
year), which would almost give me the functionality I used to have*.
I'm planning to give this a shot this weekend. I'll post the script.

- Lucas

* I am in no way opposed to paying for web services, which to me makes
the whole Reader debacle even sadder. After using it for years, it
was easily worth $100/year to me. I wish I could pay Google money for
the product they used to have. This is the biggest problem with cloud/
SaaS type of products: even if you're paying, you have no control; if
you're not paying, you have no leverage.

JT Olds

Nov 3, 2011, 12:11:14 AM11/3/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
lol @ eternal sunshine of the spotless reader

i just found a working google +1 bookmarklet. it's not quite the note
in reader feature, but it at least serves to mark your page somewhere

http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-plus-one-bookmarklet/19474/

JT Olds

Nov 3, 2011, 12:12:08 AM11/3/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
of course, that's probably what google is trying to get us to do
anyway, so i think there's a good chance +1ing various websites is
here to stay.

JT Olds

Nov 3, 2011, 12:13:39 AM11/3/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
okay sorry for the spam. you actually probably want
https://gist.github.com/1070803 instead of my first link so you don't
have to rely on someone's hosted javascript.

Arpit G

Nov 3, 2011, 9:51:11 AM11/3/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
I used it as an annotated bookmarking tool.
Used the share feature to share specific tags with selected folk.

I've found a sort-of work around using 'bundles' to wrap around tags.

I've written up a quick post explaining this in detail here:

Hopefully this will help some of you :)