Updating a Spreadsheet with JavaScript

ciferec...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2008, 6:30:40 PM1/14/08
to Google Data API
Hi-
I have read through the Google Spreadsheets API several times, and
I'm kind of confused - I can't tell whether it provides the
functionality I need or not. I want to update specific rows and
columns in a particular spreadsheet from an external webpage (I assume
using JavaScript, unless there's a better way I don't know about).
I'm not sure how to make a webpage issue a PUT request... and I'm also
really unclear on what I'm supposed to be PUTting where. An actual
example with the proper syntax would be great - I know there are
examples on the website, but they all seem to be read-only (that is,
they only issue GET requests). Thanks!
-Nicole

Jeff Fisher (Google)

Jan 14, 2008, 6:45:41 PM1/14/08
to Google Data API
Hi Nicole,

There is not currently a JavaScript API for Google Spreadsheets. Since
authentication in JavaScript is tricky, I would recommend waiting
until the JS API is released if you must use JavaScript. Of course,
you are still able to use Java, .NET, PHP, and Python if you can use
server-side code.

Cheers,
-Jeff

On Jan 14, 3:30 pm, "cifereca.kuk...@gmail.com"

ciferec...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2008, 11:12:43 AM1/15/08
to Google Data API
When is the JavaScript API going to be realeased?

On Jan 14, 6:45 pm, "Jeff Fisher (Google)" <api.jfis...@google.com>

Jeff Fisher (Google)

Jan 15, 2008, 5:09:58 PM1/15/08
to Google Data API
Hi,

We can't comment as to when new JS APIs will be released, but we hope
to release more in the near future.

Cheers,
-Jeff

On Jan 15, 8:12 am, "cifereca.kuk...@gmail.com"

ciferec...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2008, 7:19:40 PM1/15/08
to Google Data API
Ok... so is there currently a way for me to update the contents of a
private spreadsheet from an external web page? I guess it doesn't
have to be JavaScript, though that's the language I'm most comfortable
with.

On Jan 15, 5:09 pm, "Jeff Fisher (Google)" <api.jfis...@gmail.com>

Jeff Fisher (Google)

Jan 16, 2008, 12:06:26 PM1/16/08
to Google Data API
Hi,

If the website is based on ASP, PHP, or one of the other languages we
have client libraries for, then yes.

Cheers,
-Jeff

On Jan 15, 4:19 pm, "cifereca.kuk...@gmail.com"