Earth Browser Plug-in and Google Chrome

Roman N

Sep 2, 2008, 9:15:21 PM9/2/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
As you may have heard, Google released Chrome, a new web browser,
today at around 12pm PDT.

The Earth Browser Plug-in doesn't yet work in Chrome, although we will
soon release an updated version that does. The update will, as usual,
be completely transparent to users.

I'll post again when the update is released.

- Roman

P.S. If you haven't yet tried Chrome for yourself, you're missing out!
Check it out at http://www.google.com/chrome

mickmel

Sep 3, 2008, 7:10:04 AM9/3/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
Thanks for the info! I was just wondering about that...

fraser

Sep 3, 2008, 8:33:47 AM9/3/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
Lol, the first thing i tried with Chrome was the Earth api!
...Chrome looks really clean, nice and simple. Another great, free,
Google product!

F.

Valery

Oct 30, 2008, 1:06:00 PM10/30/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
Any news about Google Earth Browser Plugin support in Chrome?

Roman N

Oct 31, 2008, 3:04:56 PM10/31/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
Hi all,

There is still one blocking issue related to balloon contents that
we're still working on. Here is the public issue in Chrome that, once
fixed and released, should allow us to turn on Chrome support in the
Earth API:

In the meantime, we have implemented a *temporary* hack that allows
you to bypass our browser detection process. To test your Earth API
page in Chrome (everything but balloons should be functioning), append
#geplugin_browserok to the end of your URL, i.e.:

http://code.google.com/apis/earth#geplugin_browserok

WARNING: Do not use this hack for anything but testing purposes, as it
is subject to change or removal at any time.

Just to reiterate, even with this *temporary* hack, balloons will not
work until the Chrome issue mentioned above is resolved. Once it's
resolved and end users receive the update, we will enable Chrome
support in the Earth API.

- Roman

Roman N

Oct 31, 2008, 3:05:36 PM10/31/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin

Roman N

Dec 3, 2008, 12:36:19 PM12/3/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
Has anyone found any issues with their sites in Chrome (and not other
browsers)?

If so, please report them here.

Reminder: to try an Earth API site in Chrome append
#geplugin_browserok to the URL as shown in the posts above. If your
site uses anchors/location.hash, you can use
#foo=bar,geplugin_browserok=1

Thanks!
- Roman

Markw65

Dec 3, 2008, 1:04:10 PM12/3/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
It seems to work quite nicely - except for balloons.

Also, the "iframe shim" technique - which Im relying on - doesnt work
either (presumably thats why balloons dont work too).

Mark

Junior Bonetti

Oct 13, 2012, 11:17:05 PM10/13/12
to google-earth-...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone else find it odd that a multi-million dollar company like GOOGLE cant even make their OWN WEB BROWSER work with THEIR OWN PLUGIN?!?!?!

I ask as a DOD cartographer because we use this a lot at work and the fact this browser cant even support its own product is ridiculous

barryhunter (KML Guru)

Oct 14, 2012, 6:17:32 PM10/14/12
to google-earth-...@googlegroups.com
I do however find it odd that you are reading a message from 2008, and expecting it to still be correct.

The plugin does now work in Chrome fine.

Patrick Tucker

Oct 15, 2012, 6:50:45 AM10/15/12
to google-earth-...@googlegroups.com
You may just have an outdated version of the browser??

Kyle Douglass

Oct 16, 2012, 11:01:25 AM10/16/12
to google-earth-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not a developer, just a Chrome user that may have the same source of frustration as Junior. I continually get Chrome error messages that say "Chrome cannot load the Google Earth plug-in..." in the yellow drop down error box. I don't have a Google Earth plug-in/extension installed and I can't seem to find an "official" Google Earth extension. I did however find one that is supposed to disable that error message but it doesn't work. If someone wouldn't mind taking the time to show me how to prevent that message, I'd be grateful.

Using Chrome Version 22.0.1229.79.

Kyle Douglass

Oct 16, 2012, 11:22:30 AM10/16/12
to google-earth-...@googlegroups.com
After checking my version for the post above, I noticed I hadn't updated to the latest version of Chrome. I am now updated and running Version 22.0.1229.94. However, that did not fix the issue.