Undocumented quota: "Log Records Received"

Alexis

Jan 19, 2012, 5:08:27 AM1/19/12
to Google App Engine
Hi

We noticed a few days ago that starting from the middle-end of the
day, a new quota line now appears in one of our app dashboard:
"Log Records Received - 95% - 946,267 of 1,000,000"

This line is not there in other apps or at the beginning of the day.
So it must appear only because we are going to reach the quota limit.
That's fine, but this quota does not appear in the "Quota details"
section of the dashboard, and is not mentioned in the quotas
documentation neither in the LogService documentation. In other words
I have no clue of what is it and could not anticipate it.

We only have an average 15 requests/sec so it's more than 1 million
requests a day, the quota can't be that we can't log more that 1M
requests right?

I think it may be linked to the new LogService API that we are
starting to use. Is it because we read too many records using this
API?

Can someone shed some light on this? Did I miss something?
Thanks

Robert Kluin

Jan 19, 2012, 1:07:29 PM1/19/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I'd also like to see every quota and limit documented, ideally in one
easy to reference spot.
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=5677

Also, to go along with that, having a list of quotas your apps hit
logged in some persistent way:
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=6296

Robert

333...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2012, 10:25:32 AM1/24/12
to Google App Engine
I've spent two days working on a feature based on the LogService, it
seems it
all comes to nothing :\

You could at least leave a small note on the documentation related to
it.
here for example: http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/logservice/

Do you plan to make it billable?

Daniel C. <http://theosp.me/>

Robert Kluin

Jan 24, 2012, 2:34:25 PM1/24/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
You may want to mention why it "all comes to nothing."

Robert

Andrin von Rechenberg

Feb 16, 2012, 5:29:32 AM2/16/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
@Google: Is this a hard limit that will stay around? Can it be increased?

I'm planning to implement prodeagle using the logservice instead of memcache.
But 1000000 reads per day is just too low if you have more than 1000000 queries
per day. Are there any other alternatives?

Cheers,
-Andrin

Robert Kluin

Feb 17, 2012, 3:07:45 AM2/17/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
It is not a hard limit. I suspect they will let you pay for more once
it is out of experimental status.

I've found the log service to be a little slow when fetching a lot of
records in a row. In my tests it can take 15 minutes of looping (max
batch size) to fetch 1000000 records. So if you're using this on an
app with a lot of requests you probably want to scan "often." (ie
don't pull once a day on an app with 20000000 requests per day.)

Robert

Alexis

May 28, 2012, 7:00:48 PM5/28/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I just got another undocumented quota...
This one is more critical for us as it's not used for debugging like the logs one was.

It's called "File Call Count" and the limit is 8,640,000 daily. I hope it can be increased.

I opened a ticket about these undocumented quotas:

It'd be nice if we could build the list together until AppEngine team decides to provide it to us...