1.6.0 Prerelease SDKs are out

Johan Euphrosine

Oct 31, 2011, 9:28:34 PM10/31/11
to Google App Engine
Hi,

We've just uploaded the 1.6.0 Prerelease SDKs:

Please note that new features are not available in production until the final release, and documentation for these features will be available at this time as well. Let us know if there are any issues found.

Below are the release notes for this release.

Thanks,
Marzia

App Engine Python SDK - Release Notes

Version 1.6.0
===============================
- On November 7th, App Engine will be out of Preview. The new Terms of Service
  and previously announced pricing changes will be in effect. Additionally, all
  paid apps are now covered by our SLA.
    http://www.google.com/enterprise/cloud/appengine/pricing.html
- Paid apps can now specify the maximum pending latency for instances and the
  minimum number of idle instances for your application in the Admin Console.
- We have released an experimental utility, available in the Admin Console, to
  assist in migrating your application to the High Replication datastore. This
  utility allows you to copy the bulk of your data in the background, while the
  source application is still serving. You then need a brief read-only period to
  migrate your application data while you copy the data that has changed from
  the time the original copy started.
- Blobstore, which was previously limited to apps with billing enabled, is now
  available for all apps.
- We have published a new article on Datastore Index Selection and Advanced
  Search which explains our recent improvements to the query planner that make
  exploding indexes unnecessary.
    http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/indexselection.html
- Applications can now receive xmpp error stanzas at /_ah/xmpp/error.
- In the Admin Console data viewer, you can now filter by namespace from a drop
  down menu, if applicable.
- In the Admin Console's Datastore Statistics, we now offer namespace suggest
  for filtering stats.
- We have released as experimental the full MapReduce framework.
- The mail_stub.get_sent_messages() call now returns EmailMessage instances.
- Fixed an issue when setting an initial_value in memcache.incr unexpectedly
  returned a string.
    http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=2012
- Fixed an issue where DoS stats in the Admin Console didn't work for High
  Replication apps.
    http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=5237
App Engine Java SDK - Release Notes

Version 1.6.0
=============
[...]
- Added API functionality for making calls to the Memcache API asynchronously.
- In the Memcache API, getIdentifiable() and putIfUntouched() now support
  batch operations.
- We've added a page, /_ah/admin/capabilitiesstatus, to the dev console that
  allows you to configure the capability state of the local API implementations
  when running locally.
- We've added LocalCapabilitiesServiceTestConfig to the testing API, which
  allows you to configure the capability state of the local API implementations
  in your tests.
- The Datastore API now supports callbacks that can execute before or after
  put() and delete() calls.
- The queue-name argument is now optional for async-session-persistence in
  appengine-web.xml.
- Fixed a ClassNotFound error when using async-session-persistence.
    http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=5774
- Fixed an issue with memcache serialization when using a entity key with a name
  that points to the same reference as the key's parent.
    http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=2088
--
Johan Euphrosine (proppy)
Developer Programs Engineer

Gopal Patel

Nov 1, 2011, 12:19:32 AM11/1/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
does python sdk now works with py2.7 ?

Timofey Koolin

Nov 1, 2011, 4:18:15 AM11/1/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Increase max size for incoming email please - some customers send .bmp attachments and application can't receive it.

2011/11/1 Gopal Patel <patel...@gmail.com>

--
С уважением,
Кулин Тимофей.

Телефон: +7 (4852) 974793
ICQ: 114902104
email: tim...@koolin.ru
Blog: http://timofey.koolin.ru

Robert Schuppenies

Nov 1, 2011, 12:55:08 PM11/1/11
On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Gopal Patel <patel...@gmail.com> wrote:
does python sdk now works with py2.7 ?

Yes.

Waldemar Kornewald

Nov 1, 2011, 4:03:39 PM11/1/11
to google-appe...@googlegroups.com, Google App Engine, google-app...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marzia,
there is a little bug in the SDK. Django-nonrel users put the "django" package directly in the project folder. However, when I try to import django the dev_appserver's import hook says that I have to add django to the libraries section in app.yaml. It doesn't even try to import the package in the first place. The same happens with jinja2 and other packages. The correct behavior would be to only raise an exception if the import would fail.

Could you or someone else from Google please take a look at this bug before the final 1.6.0 release? Thanks!

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald

Roberto Saccon

Nov 1, 2011, 7:21:54 PM11/1/11
to google-app...@googlegroups.com, Google App Engine, google-appe...@googlegroups.com
to migrate an existing app to HDR with the new tool, can I keep now the app-id ?

--
Roberto

Michael Quartly

Nov 1, 2011, 11:04:59 PM11/1/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Is the memory allocation going to be limited to 128MB on November 27?

Marc Nieper-Wißkirchen

Nov 2, 2011, 7:18:16 AM11/2/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com, google-app...@googlegroups.com, google-appe...@googlegroups.com
I am also interested in an answer to this question as I would like to have my old app id with the new HRD.

Is it true that Jinja2 is not bundled with the prerelease? As the production system supports this, it should be included in the SDK as well.

Message has been deleted

Kyle Finley

Nov 2, 2011, 12:55:58 PM11/2/11
to google-appe...@googlegroups.com, Google App Engine, google-app...@googlegroups.com
Sorry if this is a duplicate.

The development server seems to be ignoring content-type headers when using the python27 runtime.
Posting application/json is read as application/x-www-form-urlencoded in python27, but runtime: python reads it as application/json.

Is this a know issue or am doing something wrong in my setup?

Thanks,

Kyle

Guido van Rossum

Nov 2, 2011, 1:09:01 PM11/2/11
to google-appe...@googlegroups.com, Google App Engine, google-app...@googlegroups.com
That's a known issue and it will be fixed in the final 1.6 SDK.

--Guido

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)

Jim

Nov 2, 2011, 6:42:43 PM11/2/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I'd like that, too.    Even if I have to delete all the data before doing the transfer, it'd be much easier than moving my small apps.

Xar

Nov 2, 2011, 7:24:30 PM11/2/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com, google-appe...@googlegroups.com, google-app...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guido, I have found and fixed an error regarding encoding, sqlite, and the generation of indexes with python 2.7.

appengine\datastore\datastore_sqlite_stub.py, lines 707 - 708 currently say:
    conn.execute('UPDATE Apps SET indexes = ? WHERE app_id = ?',
                 (app, indices.Encode()))

Please consider changing them to:
    conn.execute('UPDATE Apps SET indexes = ? WHERE app_id = ?',
                 (app, buffer(indices.Encode())))

I attach my log before and after the patch.
Thanks, and greetings from spain
before.png
after.png

Steve Sherrie

Nov 3, 2011, 6:55:42 AM11/3/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com, google-appe...@googlegroups.com, google-app...@googlegroups.com
I'm seeing incorrect parsing of multipart/form-data request bodies with 2.7. Is this due to the same issue?

Steven Sherrie

anatoly techtonik

Nov 3, 2011, 11:56:38 AM11/3/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I don't know how many projects with enabled AppStats use unit testing, but in 1.6.0 they are broken - http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=6238

Xar

Nov 5, 2011, 12:28:34 PM11/5/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I think I've found another critical encoding error: I can succesfully log any unicode character, but a UnicodeDecodeError is raised when the log flushing mechanism kicks in. Please see the attached images.
Note that some apis such as the mail one print logs automatically, which means my app fails every time I send a mail to, for example, 'Íñigo Fernández'
error flushing the logs.png
the error and the mail api.png
Message has been deleted

Дмитрий Лисовский

Nov 1, 2011, 3:18:23 PM11/1/11
to google-appe...@googlegroups.com, Google App Engine, google-app...@googlegroups.com
And what about «threadsafe: true»?

Guido van Rossum

Nov 7, 2011, 11:33:02 PM11/7/11
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:18, Дмитрий Лисовский <liso...@gmail.com> wrote:
And what about «threadsafe: true»?

You can put it in your app.yaml, but the dev_appserver.py will not handle multiple requests in parallel, sorry.

Greg Coladonato

Nov 10, 2011, 6:54:20 PM11/10/11
to google-appe...@googlegroups.com, Google App Engine, google-app...@googlegroups.com
I have a nagging fear that this is a stupid question, but after reading release notes and FAQs I still haven't found an answer.

I just installed Python 2.7 on a new laptop. When I try to install the new Python SDK, I get a warning that I need Python 2.5 installed in order to run the SDK. Is that expected behavior?

I ignored the warning and pressed on. Then, when I try to run the SDK, I get a "python not found" type of error.

I had assumed that 'support for Python 2.7' meant that Python 2.5 was no longer needed by the SDK, is this a valid assumption?

Thanks everyone,
Greg

nkzawa

Nov 7, 2011, 11:20:45 PM11/7/11
to google-appe...@googlegroups.com, Google App Engine, google-app...@googlegroups.com
An error occurs when I prints multibyte strings by logging module on Python SDK 1.6.0.
What's wrong?

  File "/Applications/GoogleAppEngineLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/GoogleAppEngine-default.bundle/Contents/Resources/google_appengine/google/appengine/api/datastore_types.py", line 1138, in __new__

    return super(Text, cls).__new__(cls, arg, encoding)

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe6 in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

Guido van Rossum

Nov 13, 2011, 7:13:16 PM11/13/11
to google-appe...@googlegroups.com, Google App Engine, google-app...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, no, that's not what we meant when we announced Python 2.7 support. We meant that we now support both the Python 2.5 and Python 2.7 runtimes. The default remains 2.5; in order to use the 2.7 support you must put "runtime: python27" in your app.yaml file; and you still have to arrange to run the dev_appserver using Python 2.7, e.g. by using "python2.7 <path-to-sdk>/dev_appserver.py".

Separately, it sounds like you installed Python 2.7 in such a way that it is not found as "python" on the default path.

--Guido

Thanks everyone,
Greg