AdMob mediation & refresh rate

Markus Wiederkehr

Aug 22, 2012, 5:50:32 PM8/22/12
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
When using mediation it is possible to specify a refresh rate in two places: for the mediation placement and for the AdMob publisher ID. Most third party ad networks probably also have a refresh rate setting.

The question is how do these refresh rates interfere? Is it important that the ad network's auto refresh is turned off? If so, will I have to create a new publisher ID to be used for mediation (because I don't want to disable auto refresh for older versions of my app)?

Markus

Rajkumar Parameswaran

Aug 22, 2012, 7:15:39 PM8/22/12
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

You are correct in that the two refresh rates can interfere with each other so we recommend that people turn off the ad network's refresh rate.

Also, unfortunately in your particular situation you will have to create another publisher ID if you don't want apps that already use that publisher ID to stop refreshing.

Markus

Jona

Aug 23, 2012, 11:44:16 AM8/23/12
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
This is a great question. I'm also interested in this. I'm wondering if adapters for InMobi and Millennial Media honor the refresh values sent by Admob by turning off their refresh rates?

Rajkumar Parameswaran

Aug 23, 2012, 11:49:33 AM8/23/12
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Don't think that the adapters turn off those refresh rates so you probably will need to explicitly do that.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Jona <visualb...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is a great question. I'm also interested in this. I'm wondering if adapters for InMobi and Millennial Media honor the refresh values sent by Admob by turning off their refresh rates?

Jona

Aug 23, 2012, 12:37:45 PM8/23/12
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Really? Mmm... I'm currently asking InMobi that question.  I would assume they would try to work sync with Admob mediation. Otherwise everyone using mediation would have a bad quality inventory, no?

Rajkumar Parameswaran

Aug 23, 2012, 12:55:37 PM8/23/12
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Whoops sorry, I was wrong about this. We actually do turn off the refresh for InMobi and Millennial, sorry about the misinformation there.

Jona

Aug 23, 2012, 1:03:48 PM8/23/12
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the refreshed info Raj! :) and sorry Markus for taking over your post a bit! :P

Markus Wiederkehr

Aug 23, 2012, 3:54:55 PM8/23/12
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
If that is possible why don't you turn it off for AdMob, too?

Rajkumar Parameswaran

Aug 23, 2012, 4:58:08 PM8/23/12
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
It's because with AdMob the refresh rate is configurable only on the server, there aren't any hooks in the code to change the refresh rate.

Markus Wiederkehr

Aug 24, 2012, 1:15:46 PM8/24/12
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Since AdMob SDK and AdMob mediation SDK always come bundled in a single release it should not be a problem to add such a hook. It wouldn't even have to be a public API.

I just think this would really make sense for many people who might otherwise overlook this small detail.

Markus

jj

Jul 8, 2013, 11:46:40 PM7/8/13
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I am curious if any of this post is still applicable? I ask because from what I see, you can not set for admob the ability to use the default refresh rate in the client code. Also, with Millennial Media, I see that in the latest SDKs you actually don't have that hook anymore to disable refresh....unless I am missing something?

Rajkumar Parameswaran

Jul 19, 2013, 4:50:21 PM7/19/13
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean by whether it's applicable? We still don't turn off refresh rates for AdMob in mediation, you've got to explicitly do that unfortunately.

--

---

Sandro Stricker

Dec 2, 2013, 2:49:16 PM12/2/13
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if this is the right place, but I'm experiencing similar issue. I'm using SDK version 6.6.1 and when I use the new publisher-id (
ca-app-pub-6998281994211642/8011610xxx) the banner won't refresh. With my old mediation id (
e4cd7b1f5bd84xxx) everything is working fine. What is the problem here?

Eric Leichtenschlag

Dec 5, 2013, 1:57:47 PM12/5/13
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
With the new AdMob, the legacy publisher ID and mediation ID now form into one ad unit ID with one refresh rate. It looks to be set to 45 seconds in your account, so you should see a 45 second refresh rate with the new ad unit ID.

Sandro Stricker

Dec 5, 2013, 2:50:00 PM12/5/13
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Yes, but no refresh ever happens I waited a few minutes. No refresh happened. I would love to switch to the new AdMob Adunit-id, but as long as the id is not working correctly, I can't.

Eric Leichtenschlag

Dec 6, 2013, 8:29:38 PM12/6/13
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Weird. I tried your ad unit and saw a refresh. Can you provide a sample app where you see this not refreshing?

Thanks,
Eric

Steven Haggerty

May 31, 2017, 6:22:58 AM5/31/17
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Did you figure this out? I've got the same issue. I use Admob mediation With Milllenial Media, as and mediated banners don't refresh.

Eric Leichtenschlag (Mobile Ads SDK Team)

Jun 8, 2017, 7:51:59 PM6/8/17
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hey Steven,

This thread is quite old, so the issue you're having is probably unrelated to the issue 3 years ago. The first thing I recommend is checking your ad unit settings to make sure refresh is enabled.

Thanks,
Eric

Steven Haggerty

Jun 9, 2017, 4:08:29 AM6/9/17
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

See this thread. There is a problem and it hasn't been resolved as of Play Services 11.0.0

Steve.

--

---

Ivan Bautista (Mobile Ads SDK Team)

Jun 9, 2017, 5:22:10 AM6/9/17
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi Steve,

It would be best to keep all succeeding communication in this thread to have a single reference of communication and for easier tracking. Rest assured that someone from our team will keep that thread updated once we get an official feedback about the issue.

Regards,
Ivan Bautista
Mobile Ads SDK Team