[ANN] Msglite - lightweight messaging daemon with a built-in http server

Will Conant

Jun 28, 2010, 6:35:42 PM6/28/10
to golang-nuts
I'm happy to announce Msglite:

http://github.com/willconant/msglite

Msglite is a simple messaging daemon written in Go and designed to
allow processes to communicate over TCP or Unix Domain Sockets using
something quite similar to Go's channels.

Msglite also includes an HTTP server that relays HTTP requests to
Msglite clients acting as HTTP request handlers. In this respect,
Msglite is meant to replace solutions like FastCGI or Unicorn, sitting
between Nginx and traditional web-app code written in Perl/Ruby/
Whatever. The primary advantages of such a setup are:

1. An HTTP request handler can reply to requests in an order other
than the order in which they were received. It can even forward a
request to another Msglite client which can handle the reply on its
own. This opens up all sorts of possibilities for adding real-time
comet-y behavior to existing applications.

2. HTTP request handlers can gracefully restart without dropping
queued requests. This is great for those memory-leaky Perl processes.

Wrapping existing web-applications in a Msglite HTTP handler is
surprisingly easy, and in the near future, I'll have Plack, Rack, and
WSGI wrappers for Perl, Ruby, and Python, respectively.

There is plenty more information about Msglite (and why I wrote it) in
the wiki:

http://wiki.github.com/willconant/msglite/

Cheers!

--