Go App Engine SDK 1.6.4 released

Andrew Gerrand

Mar 28, 2012, 12:03:46 PM3/28/12
to google-appengine-go, golang-nuts, golang-...@googlegroups.com
We have just released version 1.6.4 of the Go App Engine SDK.
You can download it from the App Engine downloads page:
http://developers.google.com/appengine/downloads

This release is based on Go 1, the latest release of Go.
For information about updating your apps to work with Go 1,
and to learn more about Go 1 generally, read the release notes:
http://golang.org/doc/go1.html

This release also includes changes to the Go App Engine APIs
that may require code changes. Some of these changes can be
made mechanically with the 'gofix' tool included in the SDK.
For example:
/path/to/sdk/gofix /path/to/your/app

The changes are summarized in the Go SDK release notes:
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/wiki/SdkForGoReleaseNotes

This new SDK also uses a new api_version string: go1.
You will need to update your app.yaml accordingly.

We have deprecated api_version 3. Go apps that use api_version 3
will stop working after May 31 2012. Please update your apps to
use api_version go1 before then.

Please direct any questions about the new SDK to the Go App Engine
discussion group:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine-go

For more information see the Go SDK announcement blog post:
http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2012/03/go-version-1-now-on-app-engine.html
and the Go 1 announcement blog post:
http://blog.golang.org/2012/03/go-version-1-is-released.html

Cheers,
Andrew

andre....@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2012, 1:07:16 PM3/28/12
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, golang-nuts, golang-...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:03:46 PM UTC-4, Andrew Gerrand wrote:
We have just released version 1.6.4 of the Go App Engine SDK.
You can download it from the App Engine downloads page:
  http://developers.google.com/appengine/downloads

Maybe I missed some info, but it seems the Go SDK is still tagged experimental. Does it mean we have to expect breaking changes before it goes out of its experimental state and that api_version go1 will become deprecated in a near future (as will be api_version 3 on May 31st) ? Or can we trust go1 app engine apps to live on without fear of being taken down when a new version comes out?

Remi Gillig

Mar 28, 2012, 1:14:46 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Congrats to the Go team and all the contributors! I've been on this list for around a year now (mainly watching) and I'm amazed by this community, keep up the good work all!

Remi Gillig.

Abiola Ibrahim

Mar 28, 2012, 2:09:01 PM3/28/12
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, golang-nuts, golang-...@googlegroups.com
With the Go1 support on Appengine and official support of Go 1 on Windows, is there any plan for a Windows SDK in the nearest future?

Brandon Thomson

Mar 28, 2012, 3:02:41 PM3/28/12
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, golang-nuts, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Huzzah, a Go 1 release!

Congrats, and thanks for this fantastic app engine runtime.

On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:03:46 PM UTC-4, Andrew Gerrand wrote:
On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:03:46 PM UTC-4, Andrew Gerrand wrote:
On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:03:46 PM UTC-4, Andrew Gerrand wrote:

Jens-Uwe Mager

Mar 28, 2012, 3:21:26 PM3/28/12
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, golang-nuts, golang-...@googlegroups.com

I was using html.Parse et. al. These do not appear to be part of the go1 appengine SDK, any pointers how to get that functionality back?

Nigel Tao

Mar 28, 2012, 3:40:45 PM3/28/12
to Jens-Uwe Mager, google-ap...@googlegroups.com, golang-nuts, golang-...@googlegroups.com
On 29 March 2012 06:21, Jens-Uwe Mager <jum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was using html.Parse et. al. These do not appear to be part of the go1
> appengine SDK, any pointers how to get that functionality back?

HTML parsing wasn't 100% complete, so it moved to exp/html, and the
experimental packages are not part of Go 1.

However, you should be able to just copy the
$GOROOT/src/pkg/exp/html/*.go files into your app's directory (in its
own directory) and use it as before.

David Symonds

Mar 28, 2012, 5:46:22 PM3/28/12
to andre....@gmail.com, google-ap...@googlegroups.com, golang-nuts, golang-...@googlegroups.com

Go is indeed still formally experimental, but we hope to bring it out
of that state soon. We do not anticipate making any
non-backward-compatible changes to api_version go1, nor deprecating it
any time soon.

Dave.

André Paquet

Mar 28, 2012, 6:31:42 PM3/28/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, google-ap...@googlegroups.com, golang-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your answer, and congratulations again on v1. I have a small project that I planned doing in Java on GAE. I might do it in Go now.

Nigel Tao

Mar 28, 2012, 11:22:26 PM3/28/12
to Abiola Ibrahim, google-ap...@googlegroups.com, golang-nuts
On 29 March 2012 05:09, Abiola Ibrahim <abio...@gmail.com> wrote:
> With the Go1 support on Appengine and official support of Go 1 on Windows,
> is there any plan for a Windows SDK in the nearest future?

A Windows SDK would obviously be nice to have. We don't have anything
to announce yet.