Win32 (experimental) build of release 2011-02-01.1

Joe Poirier

Feb 2, 2011, 4:39:17 AM2/2/11
to golang-nuts
Download it here: http://gomingw.googlecode.com/files/gowin32_2011-02-01.1.zip

The zip file contains the pre-built Go tools (e.g. the compiler
and linker, etc.) as well as the library files (i.e. imports).
It's also a snapshot of the Go source tree, excluding the
repository metadata, therefore un-versioned from mercurial's
point of view.

Check out Mateusz Czaplinski's gowin-env package, "a Minimal
companion environment to make canonical Makefiles of the
Google Go project work in vanilla Windows," that you can use
in conjunction with the Go tool. /No/ installation
required: https://bitbucket.org/akavel/gowin-env

If you'd like to download the Go source code in order to build
the Go tools on your own, and I encourage you to do so, you'll
need a build environment and the dependencies (e.g. make, hg,
gcc, etc.) to do so. Here's a complete, /no/ installation
required, package that comes with some really cool *nix command
line tools and a nifty *nix like shell to play with-thanks to
the fine MinGW/MSYS folks-have a peek at the readme to get
going: https://bitbucket.org/jpoirier/go_mingw/downloads/MinGW-01092011.zip

If you're just starting out with Go on windows I have a short
screen-cast entitled "Beginner's Guide Using Go On Win98/2K/XP"
that you may find helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1VHXwhlDmo

-joe

PS You'll need to delete an un-versioned Go folder, no .hg
subfolder, before you can the run hg clone command if the
cloned Go folder has the same destination as the un-versioned
one.

Tarmigan

Feb 2, 2011, 12:12:25 PM2/2/11
to golang-nuts
On Feb 2, 1:39 am, Joe Poirier <jdpoir...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Download it here:http://gomingw.googlecode.com/files/gowin32_2011-02-01.1.zip

Thanks Joe and everyone else whose been working on the windows port!

Any hints on getting cgo to work on windows?

I am just beginning with Go on windows, so I may have set something up
wrong.

I have installed your 2011-02-01.1 package and am using it with gowin-
env. I have tested this by doing a 'make test' in some of the go
pkgs. Sometimes it works great, but about every other time something
doesn't work. Sometimes 8l.exe has crashed (with the Microsoft
src/pkg/json, it sometimes succeeds and sometimes 8l.exe crashes and
sometimes I get a dialog that says
"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on
OK to terminate the application"
and sometimes make fails in the command window with
stream_test.go:73: internal compiler error: fault

I have also installed your MinGW and added bin/ to my path.

When I try to make clean + make + make in go/misc/cgo/stdio I get:

C:\gowin-env\go\misc\cgo\stdio>make clean
CGOPKGPATH= cgo -- align.go file.go test.go test1.go
wait: The parameter is incorrect.
rm -rf *.o *.a *.[568vq] [568vq].out hello fib chain run.out *.cgo1.go
*.cgo2.c
_cgo_defun.c _cgo_gotypes.go _cgo_export.* _cgo_.c _cgo_import.c
_cgo_main.c _cg
o_flags _cgo_run *.so _obj _test _testmain.go *.exe

C:\gowin-env\go\misc\cgo\stdio>make
CGOPKGPATH= cgo -- align.go file.go test.go test1.go
wait: The parameter is incorrect.
make: *** No rule to make target `_cgo_flags', needed by
`_cgo_defun.c'. Stop.

C:\gowin-env\go\misc\cgo\stdio>make
../../../src/Make.pkg:123: _cgo_flags: No such file or directory
8g -o _go_.8 align.cgo1.go file.cgo1.go test.cgo1.go test1.cgo1.go
_cgo_gotypes
.go
open align.cgo1.go: No such file or directory
make: *** [_go_.8] Error 1

Any hints?

Thanks,
Tarmigan

Tarmigan

Feb 2, 2011, 1:25:48 PM2/2/11
to golang-nuts
On Feb 2, 9:12 am, Tarmigan <tarmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 1:39 am, Joe Poirier <jdpoir...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Download it here:http://gomingw.googlecode.com/files/gowin32_2011-02-01.1.zip
>
> Thanks Joe and everyone else whose been working on the windows port!
>
> Any hints on getting cgo to work on windows?
>
> I am just beginning with Go on windows, so I may have set something up
> wrong.
>
> I have installed your 2011-02-01.1 package and am using it with gowin-
> env.  I have tested this by doing a 'make test' in some of the go
> pkgs.  Sometimes it works great, but about every other time something
> doesn't work.  Sometimes 8l.exe has crashed (with the Microsoft
> src/pkg/json, it sometimes succeeds and sometimes 8l.exe crashes and
> sometimes I get a dialog that says
> "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on
> OK to terminate the application"
> and sometimes make fails in the command window with
> stream_test.go:73: internal compiler error: fault

Please ignore this report. I just reinstalled windows onto a new HD
and had yet to install all of the windows updates. After installing
all of the updates, I have now run 'make test' in the go/src/pkg/json
directory (and others) 10 times in a row with no problems.

Any help with cgo would still be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tarmigan

brainman

Feb 2, 2011, 5:38:45 PM2/2/11
to golang-nuts
On Feb 3, 5:25 am, Tarmigan <tarmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Any hints on getting cgo to work on windows?

I'm not sure about "getting cgo to work on windows", but the problem
you're seeing is related to failing execute external program from Go -
cgo.exe is trying to execute gcc.exe and failing to get result of the
execution. The problem is documented here http://code.google.com/p/go/issues/detail?id=1460,
and there is a fix being developed for it http://codereview.appspot.com/4029053/.

This is just one step, I'm not sure what else needs to be fixed to get
cgo working on windows.

Alex