Multiple target pattern error with GNU Make 3.78.1

bloo...@my-deja.com

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
All,

I am trying to build gcc 2.95.1, however GNU Make 3.78.1 will not
process the Makefile created by configure. The following is the error
message I get:

Makefile:1724: *** multiple target patterns. Stop.

Line 1724 of the Makfile is as follows:

Makefile: Makefile.in configure.in $(host_makefile_frag)
$(target_makefile_frag) $(gcc_version_trigg
er)

I have spent a number of days trying to circumvent this so any help
would be greatly appreciated!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Paul D. Smith

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
to bloo...@my-deja.com
%% psm...@baynetworks.com (Paul D. Smith) writes:

pds> _foo := $(shell echo '"$(host_makefile_frag)" "$(target_makefile_frag)" "$(gcc_version_trigger"')

Argh. I meant:

_foo := $(shell echo '"$(host_makefile_frag)" "$(target_makefile_frag)" "$(gcc_version_trigger"' 1>&2)

Sorry.

Paul D. Smith <psm...@baynetworks.com> Network Management Development

Paul D. Smith

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
to bloo...@my-deja.com
%% bloo...@my-deja.com writes:

b> I am trying to build gcc 2.95.1, however GNU Make 3.78.1 will not
b> process the Makefile created by configure. The following is the error
b> message I get:

b> Makefile:1724: *** multiple target patterns. Stop.

The GNU make manual ("Errors Generated by Make") sez:

`missing target pattern. Stop.'
`multiple target patterns. Stop.'
`target pattern contains no `%'. Stop.'
These are generated for malformed static pattern rules. The first
means there's no pattern in the target section of the rule, the
second means there are multiple patterns in the target section,
and the third means the target doesn't contain a pattern character
(`%'). *Note Syntax of Static Pattern Rules: Static Usage.

So, you have an extra colon in your target definitions line, so make
thinks you're trying to define a static pattern rule.

b> Line 1724 of the Makfile is as follows:

b> Makefile: Makefile.in configure.in $(host_makefile_frag)
b> $(target_makefile_frag) $(gcc_version_trigg
b> er)

I assume it doesn't _really_ look like that, that it's all in one line,
and it's your mailer which is "helpfully" reformatting it for you.

The problem is one or more of the values of those variables contains a
colon. Not a good idea. You can find out which one by adding something
like this just before that line in the makefile:

_foo := $(shell echo '"$(host_makefile_frag)" "$(target_makefile_frag)" "$(gcc_version_trigger"')

then see what the values of those variables are. Presumably you're
doing something on the configure line or somewhere that's adding a colon
to the value(s) of one or more of these variables; the standard
configuration for GCC won't do that. What options did you give to the
"configure" command to configure GCC?