[Postfix] Unable to open server

.

Aug 17, 2012, 1:05:44 AM8/17/12
Hello there,

I want to read email via Gnus. My MTA is Postfix.
Gnus is started on the same machine as MTA.

Here is what I have in my .gnus.el:

(setq user-mail-addres "foo")
(setq user-full-name "Foo Bar")

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))

(eval-after-load "mail-source"
'(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(maildir :path "~/Maildir/"
:subdirs ("cur" "new"))))

Gnus has successfully created a "~/Mail" dir that has all content from
"~/Maildir," but when I'm starting Gnus I get the error.
How to fix this?

I guess that I should add my "~/Mail" dir as a group but I'm not sure
how to do it.

Thanks

William Gardella

Aug 17, 2012, 2:57:24 AM8/17/12
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
Hi,

"." <nkw...@gmail.com> writes:

> Gnus has successfully created a "~/Mail" dir that has all content from
> "~/Maildir," but when I'm starting Gnus I get the error.
> How to fix this?
>
> I guess that I should add my "~/Mail" dir as a group but I'm not sure
> how to do it.
>

> Thanks

If that's your entire Gnus config, the error you are seeing is because
`gnus-select-method' is not set to anything yet, and Gnus expects to see
a main select method in addition to the secondary select methods (yes,
this is an instance of Gnus acting like a newsreader and expecting to
connect to an NNTP server). There are a few solutions:

- Set up an NNTP server as `gnus-select-method' (I use news.gmane.org here,
because I actually find the Gmane service incredibly useful anyway).

- Set up some other kind of group as 'gnus-select-method'; this could
even be your mail/nnml setup, perhaps on the lines of
http://eschulte.me/emacs24-starter-kit/starter-kit-gnus.html which
demonstrates this, albeit with IMAP and not local maildir mail.

- Start up gnus with the tricky command M-x gnus-no-server instead of
M-x gnus. `gnus-no-server' simply skips the step of checking for a
primary select method/news server.

.

Aug 17, 2012, 7:48:19 AM8/17/12
> - Start up gnus with the tricky command M-x gnus-no-server instead of
>   M-x gnus.  `gnus-no-server' simply skips the step of checking for a
>   primary select method/news server.

I've already tried this. Gnus didn't show the error. And it didn't
show emails too. (I have several unread messages.)
I think that it should show them in the *Group* buffer. Is this
correct?
Why they don't appear?

William Gardella

Aug 17, 2012, 12:42:49 PM8/17/12
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
Hey hey,
Aha! You probably also need to "subscribe" to at least one "group"
containing your mail. Enter A A to see your "active list," i.e. list of
possible groups to subscribe to. Then select your inbox and whatever
else with M-x gnus-subscribe-group on the line(s) containing the group(s).

.

Aug 17, 2012, 9:44:58 PM8/17/12
> Aha!  You probably also need to "subscribe" to at least one "group"
> containing your mail.  Enter A A to see your "active list," i.e. list of
> possible groups to subscribe to.  Then select your inbox and whatever
> else with M-x gnus-subscribe-group on the line(s) containing the group(s).

It worked. Thanks.

One more thing...
This buffer shows three groups:

nndraft:drafts
nndraft:queue
nnml:mail.misc

The first two are empty, the last is my inbox.

I'd also like to have a group for sent messages. How to implement
this?

William Gardella

Aug 18, 2012, 3:54:07 AM8/18/12
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
"." <nkw...@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd also like to have a group for sent messages. How to implement
> this?

Please see (info "(gnus) Archived Messages"). Gnus can do some pretty
complex things with sent mail, but the default is to automatically
create a new mail folder for each month,
e.g. `nnfolder+archive:sent.2012-08'. There are many other
possibilities, however, as detailed on the Info page.

But, basically, if you are not seeing a sent messages group, it's
probably because you haven't sent any messages yet.