What happened to Gmail snippets?

jon cotner

Sep 17, 2010, 1:15:06 PM9/17/10
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Is anyone else puzzled by the change affecting Gmail snippets?

Now, instead of showing a fragment from the most recent email in a chain, the snippet comes from a chain's -- or "conversation's" -- first email.

Is there some way I can show snippets from my most recent emails?

Thanks.

Andy

Sep 19, 2010, 6:12:30 PM9/19/10
to gmail...@googlegroups.com

My snippets always seem to come from the first (oldest) unread email
in the conversation. I haven't seen a change with that.

But others are seeing differences in how their conversations are
sorted, so Gmail doesn't seem to be behaving the same for everyone.

Andy

CaptainC

Sep 20, 2010, 9:12:21 AM9/20/10
to Gmail-Users
Yeah, I'm having the same problem!

I much prefer to see the snippet from the most recent e-mail, not from
the first e-mail that was sent.

And the only Option I can find under Gmail Settings is to turn it off
altogether, not switch it from oldest email snippet to newest.

Weird how it just changed all of a sudden and there isn't more debate
or conversations about it.

Come on Gmail team - at least give us the option to switch it back!

dancap

Sep 20, 2010, 6:00:11 PM9/20/10
to Gmail-Users
Same here, if this change was intentional I'd like an option in
Settings to change it back.

Sarah A

Sep 20, 2010, 4:37:39 PM9/20/10
to Gmail-Users
Agreed - allow us to switch it back!

Andy

Sep 20, 2010, 11:23:46 PM9/20/10
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I'm still thinking this is a bug, not an intentional change.

Sarah Hill

Sep 21, 2010, 10:48:47 AM9/21/10
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I'm suspicious about the timing - people compaining about snippets and people complaining about order of mail both appeared very close to date of implemetation of the priority inbox.
And a number of people have commented that priority inbox orders mail differently than their standard inbox.

Are any of the people commenting here using prioriy inbox?

I wonder if some of the features (and changes) that have been implemented with prioroy inbox are causing  some of this unexpected behaviour in gmail, regardless of whether priority inbox is enabled?

One thing flagged my attention when I was reading Gmail's information about proprity inbox; mMaybe it is just my interpretation; but the way it is worded suggests that priority inbox behaviour and categorizing may not be limited to the priority inbox:
This is what gmail says............... "
Too timid to take the plunge? Some people find that just using their regular Inbox and training the system from there is a good way to get Gmail to learn what’s important to them without diving into Priority Inbox right away. Once you think Gmail is doing a good job identifying important messages, come back to Priority Inbox and check it out."

Sarah

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 4:23 AM, Andy <AI.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm still thinking this is a bug, not an intentional change.

Schleppy

Sep 29, 2010, 8:50:11 PM9/29/10
to Gmail-Users
I also noticed that my inbox snippets are now showing the first
message in the chain, not the most recent, as it used to. I miss that
feature very much. It lets me know at quick glance where I left the
conversation.

tenvolt

Oct 4, 2010, 1:29:49 PM10/4/10
to Gmail-Users
Add me to the list of people who would like the snippet to always show
the newest message in the thread. It's very annoying having to click
on a thread to see what the most recent message was rather than seeing
it at a glance in the Inbox, as it used to be. This should be switched
back or made an option as other people have suggested... As far as
Priority Inbox goes, it is available to me under options, but I have
not turned it on, so it shouldn't be causing the problem.

Just_Joe

Oct 5, 2010, 5:27:14 PM10/5/10
to Gmail-Users
My accounts are now [as of today] showing the most recent message for
the snippets again... bug fixed? :D