bottom post lab feature

веско

Feb 4, 2009, 5:28:01 AM2/4/09
to Gmail-Users
Is it possible to get a lab feature for bottom post reply option in
the near future?

I find it very irritating to delete the two empty lines and go to the
bottom of the conversation every time I have to reply.. from all my
long time discussions I have only one that is top-posting..

Ryan Morehart

Feb 4, 2009, 9:35:04 AM2/4/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Maybe they'll make a Lab for it someday, but for now you could try a
Greasemonkey script: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/35866

Don't actually know it works as of the latest update, but it's worth a
shot. Might a different out there that works if that particular one is
broken.

Ryan

веско

Mar 30, 2009, 7:50:57 AM3/30/09
to Gmail-Users, Ryan Morehart
I'll pray for a lab feature (not that it will help) :D

anyway, can you tell me how to use this script. I mean, do I have to
paste it somewhere or what?

On Feb 4, 5:35 pm, Ryan Morehart <moreh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe they'll make a Lab for it someday, but for now you could try a
> Greasemonkey script:http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/35866
>
> Don't actually know it works as of the latest update, but it's worth a
> shot. Might a different out there that works if that particular one is
> broken.
>
> Ryan

Ryan Morehart

Mar 30, 2009, 8:38:27 AM3/30/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
If you have Firefox, just install Greasemonkey
(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748), restart firefox,
then go to the page I gave in my other post and click the "Install"
button. If it doesn't work, Gmail has likely been update to the point
the it's simply broken the script and you're out of luck for now.

Ryan

Веселин

Feb 22, 2010, 4:30:25 AM2/22/10
to Gmail-Users
ok. there is still no lab feature for bottom post replies. how is this
possible? there are tons of useless functionality added by gmail labs
but this one thing that has been missing since the beginning is still
missing. I don't get it.

JohnW

Feb 22, 2010, 7:28:51 AM2/22/10
to Gmail-Users
Use this url (http://groups.google.com/group/gmail-labs-suggest-a-labs-
feature/topics) to suggest a Labs experiment. It's given at the bottom
of the Labs page (as is the invitation to write your own!)
Google staff don't read these (less official) forums, so unless you
use the above location your requests won't get heard!!

Ryan Morehart

Feb 22, 2010, 8:15:27 AM2/22/10
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
It's just not how most email clients work by default and Gmail doesn't
see much point in breaking that mold. It might be more better for
mailing lists because then a message can just be read straight down,
but for a conversation where every person has already read the

Ryan

Marko Vukovic

Feb 22, 2010, 1:43:13 PM2/22/10
to gmail-users
On 22 February 2010 15:15, Ryan Morehart <more...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's just not how most email clients work by default and Gmail doesn't
> see much point in breaking that mold. It might be more better for
> mailing lists because then a message can just be read straight down,
> but for a conversation where every person has already read the

I'll have to disagree with you there Ryan. Bottom-posting is generally
considered good Netiquette and encourages one to quote relevant bits,
add one's own text and crop the rest while top-posting generally
encourages one to simply type one's own text and leave the rest
(including every single preceeding quoted email).

Anyhoo, this topic has been argued before but like Vesselin I would
like to have the choice.

Cheers
--
Marko

Zack (Doc)

Feb 22, 2010, 4:00:28 PM2/22/10
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
You disagree with Ryan's assertion that most email clients work that way by default?!?

He's simply stating that most e-mail clients do work that way, and given my experience with mail clients, I'd have to agree.  Unless you provide me with documented proof with a list of all (or most) known e-mail clients and indicate that each provide bottom-posting "by default", I'm not inclined to change that viewpoint.

I'm not disinclined to agree with a choice, as even the most prolific e-mail client "Microsoft Outlook" which DOES default to top-posting, allows the option to bottom-post.  Thunderbird does as well (default and option).

Per Ryan's statement, GMail is an e-mail client, albeit an online one, so why should it operate that much differently.  Bottom posting is typically only the default in usenet groups and readers.

And to your point... According to RFC1855 "Netiquette Guidelines", top posting is standard for e-mail/business communications and is encouraged.

Most good usenet readers, and threaded e-mail programs, display the original message at the top with replies further down, often recognizing quoting (when not interleaved) and hiding that text (which GMail does), so bottom posting only really makes sense when using a pure text reader, and/or when you join a conversation in the middle/end.  If you've been involved all along, then you're already read everything before, and would either scroll to the bottom to read, or if top posting, just read the top.

Adrian Mitchell  - "Most people ignore most poetry / because / most poetry ignores most people."

Marko Vukovic

Feb 22, 2010, 4:21:20 PM2/22/10
to gmail-users
On 22 February 2010 23:00, Zack (Doc) <za...@tnan.net> wrote:
> You disagree with Ryan's assertion that most email clients work that way by
> default?!?

Are you telling me or asking? Either way... no.

> He's simply stating that most e-mail clients do work that way, and given my
> experience with mail clients, I'd have to agree.  Unless you provide me with
> documented proof with a list of all (or most) known e-mail clients and
> indicate that each provide bottom-posting "by default", I'm not inclined to
> change that viewpoint.

I know what he stated about 'how most email clients work', I wasn't
arguing that. Google doesn't seem to me like a company that 'doesn't
see much point in breaking that mold'.

> Per Ryan's statement, GMail is an e-mail client, albeit an online one, so
> why should it operate that much differently.  Bottom posting is typically
> only the default in usenet groups and readers.

Gmail does not function like any other mail client I've ever seen.

--
Marko

веско

Feb 23, 2010, 7:14:09 AM2/23/10
to Gmail-Users
On Feb 22, 2:28 pm, JohnW <john.westb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Google staff don't read these (less official) forums, so unless you
> use the above location your requests won't get heard!!

I am starting to think that google doesn't hear that much from its
users

On Feb 22, 3:15 pm, Ryan Morehart <moreh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It might be more better for
> mailing lists because then a message can just be read straight down,
> but for a conversation where every person has already read the

imagine I'm posting a lot more to mailing lists rather than private
conversations

now using the gmail interface and groups interface is all very cute.
and it doesn't really make much difference bottom or top replies
because gmail organizes everything for you. but there are people who
don't use gmail. there are people who use gmail but use onother
client.

I believe it is not a big deal for them to add an option to place the
carriage at the bottom in case anyone need it. I mean there is a
feature to place a 'beta' badge on the gmail logo...

On 22 February 2010 23:00, Zack (Doc) <z...@tnan.net> wrote:
> You disagree with Ryan's assertion that most email clients work that way by
> default?!?

so is it a matter of 'what other's do' or 'what's the right thing to
do'?

I will suggest a lab feature. but I am almost certain that I once did.

--
Vesselin

Fossil fuel is green

Mar 4, 2010, 6:34:38 AM3/4/10
to Gmail-Users

On Feb 22, 5:15 am, Ryan Morehart <moreh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's just not how most email clients work by default

For a much older variant of this top v bottom issue refer to

and subsequent replies