GKOS as an iPhone App

seb

May 24, 2009, 5:12:38 PM5/24/09
to GKOS
Hi All,

first of all: Thanks a lot for the nice documentation on the internet
about the keyboard. I really like the idea although it looks like
there is no big interest for a better, newer keyboard design - in
general. People got used to T9 (and loved it), maybe one day, GKOS
will work out.

A couple of month ago I bought an iPhone. I really love it, but you
can not type while walking. Even if you are sitting in the bus, it is
quite hard to type. I have just started with an GKOS keyboard for the
iPhone as a native App. Though you do not get direct feedback of what
you are typing (because the touchscreen shows into the other
direction), I already like it. Thanks to jdhard for his code. It has
helped especially with "alphaChords" and the other arrays.

As soon as I have got the charset complete (at least english, german
and the control pattern) and a little more of a user interface (i.e.
post to mail app or maybe as a bluetooth keyboard?!?) I will let you
know.

Sebastian

seppo

May 25, 2009, 5:59:10 PM5/25/09
to GKOS
Sebastian,

I have several friends who have iPhones and they are thrilled with the
applications there are available (like the fishing game etc). I heard
about an application where you blow to the microphone to create a
tone, like on a flute, and then play notes on the touch sensitive
display with your fingers. This immediately brought to my mind the
idea of using the iPhone as a GKOS keyboard, exactly as what you
described here (I think). It would be most interesting to try your
application. Using iPhone as a Bluetooth keyboard is also a great
idea.

Please stick to the GKOS alphabet layout as much as possible because a
harmonized approach is the way to success! There is always the
learning curve but once you have it in your bones, it's child's play
to type.

seppo

pks kolkata

May 26, 2009, 1:03:41 AM5/26/09
to gk...@googlegroups.com
"...Thanks to jdhard for his code..."

can we have some more info of this pls ?

2009/5/25 seb <sebast...@gmail.com>

--
[  GovtOf India(CDAC) के debianLinux based मुफ्त और मुक्त BharatOSS  मे Firefox द्वारा खुले gMail में   अ आ हिन्दी keyboard से टंकित  ]

seb

May 26, 2009, 5:51:38 AM5/26/09
to GKOS
Hi,

I was talking about this entry:
http://groups.google.com/group/gkos/browse_thread/thread/81d816d6ff77fcd0/2c1204d2346ce253?hl=en#2c1204d2346ce253

On May 26, 7:03 am, pks kolkata <pksharmakolk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "...Thanks to jdhard for his code..."
> can we have some more info of this pls ?

seb

May 27, 2009, 5:21:39 PM5/27/09
to GKOS
Seppo,

you can be sure that I will stick to the GKOS approach about the key
and character layout. Don't worry. I am not that smart to invent a new
keyboard the world just waited for ;-)

Let me give you a first screen-shot: http://irtp.de/IMG_0002.PNG of
the current version - looks like candy. During the last days I have
showed it to some friends and collegues and while ready your answer,
the idea is as simple and obvious (and a collegue of mine proposed it,
too). "...it's child's play to type". The learning curve is the real
bad thing about the whole approach. ... After some more keys-feature,
I will focus on implementing it as a game where you learn the typing,
e.g. letter will come flying into the screen and you have to type
them. level 1 is a-f, level 2 includes gkos, and so on...

It is a game...being a keyboard is only a byproduct (although it is
the other way round).

Sebastian

pks kolkata

May 29, 2009, 8:43:50 AM5/29/09
to gk...@googlegroups.com
i too have an iphone

how does the program get loaded to the iphone  ?
can i type using the six blocks as shown in the picture ?

seb

Jun 2, 2009, 3:17:47 AM6/2/09
to GKOS
Hi,

as soon as I have a stable state (with some functionality, e.g. use
typed text for email) I will upload it to the App Store. Then you can
download it from there. During development I have a software and a
cable to get it loaded on the iPhone.

About typing: I thought about holding the iPhone across and the
display away of your body (though you don't get visible feed of what
has been typed). I have already added some descriptive letters (no
design yet!!!!). See Files area iPhone-GKOS-draft.jpg You probably get
the idea.

On May 29, 2:43 pm, pks kolkata <pksharmakolk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i too have an iphone
> how does the program get loaded to the iphone  ?
> can i type using the six blocks as shown in the picture ?

peekay

Jun 2, 2009, 4:11:55 AM6/2/09
to GKOS
can we have this as an additional option :

iPhone-GKOS-draft2.jpg in the files area of this group