A sample gitorious.yml file is needed.

Ramprasad G

Feb 16, 2010, 5:37:33 AM2/16/10
to Gitorious
I am getting too messy with gitorious.yml under /gitorious/config.Can
anyone help me with a sample gitorious.yml file.I wanted to run
gitorious under production mode.When I run sudo rake gems:install, It
throws error:
(in /var/www/git.myserver.com/gitorious)
rake aborted!
syntax error on line 10, col 23: ` repository_base_path: "/tmp/git-
repos"'

Even I tried by changing the repository_base_path to some other
location,but NO luck.

Thanks!

Marius Mårnes Mathiesen

Feb 16, 2010, 9:13:57 AM2/16/10
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Ramprasad G <moorthyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am getting too messy with gitorious.yml under /gitorious/config.Can
anyone help me with a sample gitorious.yml file.

Ramprasad,
There is a sample gitorious.yml shipping with Gitorious:

Maybe this is of help?

I wanted to run
gitorious under production mode.When I run sudo rake gems:install, It
throws error:
(in /var/www/git.myserver.com/gitorious)
rake aborted!
syntax error on line 10, col 23: `  repository_base_path: "/tmp/git-
repos"'

I suspect this is a YAML parser error; you should make sure you use the same indentation throughout the file (spaces vs tabs, number of spaces etc.). Your editor probably has a switch for displaying spaces/tabs, this should be of help...

Cheers,
- Marius

Ramprasad Gurumoorthy

Feb 17, 2010, 12:44:24 AM2/17/10
to gito...@googlegroups.com
Marius,
Worked perfectly ! But now the problem shifted to login.I unable to login into gitorious from the home page after starting git-deamon,poller,etc.,No errors found in production.log file.
I followed this:
http://cjohansen.no/en/ruby/setting_up_gitorious_on_your_own_server
to setup gitorious.
Is there a cool way to install Gitorious?

Thanks!
Ramprasad G

Regards
Ramprasad G
Associate - Systems
Artha42 Technology Solutions Pvt. Ltd.,
http://www.artha42.com
E-mail: rampr...@artha42.com
+91 9894987623
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ramprasadgurumoorthy

Will Daniels

Feb 17, 2010, 1:53:50 AM2/17/10
to Gitorious
On Feb 17, 7:44 am, Ramprasad Gurumoorthy <moorthyrampra...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Marius,
> Worked perfectly ! But now the problem shifted to login.I unable to login
> into gitorious from the home page after starting git-deamon,poller,etc.

I had what might be the same problem with logging in when I first
installed gitorious and the problem had to do with cookies. Are you
using localhost for the domain? Gitorious tries to set this as the
cookie domain which is invalid without a subdomain, so the session
cookie doesn't stick in the browser (except some browsers like Opera I
think). If you change the domain to have a subdomain like git.local it
should work. Or you could use my patch:

http://gitorious.org/~wdaniels/gitorious/wgd-mainline/commit/c21a0c21129a48b25f3b656085689960d2892eed

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Will

Marius Mårnes Mathiesen

Feb 17, 2010, 3:17:13 AM2/17/10
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Ramprasad Gurumoorthy <moorthyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Worked perfectly ! But now the problem shifted to login.I unable to login into gitorious from the home page after starting git-deamon,poller,etc.,No errors found in production.log file.

Could it be that your site redirects to SSL when you go to the login page? In that case you should either install an SSL certificate and enable this for the site - or disable SSL in Gitorious (there are a couple of posts on the mailing list about this).

I followed this:
http://cjohansen.no/en/ruby/setting_up_gitorious_on_your_own_server
to setup gitorious.
Is there a cool way to install Gitorious?

For Debian/Ubuntu systems, Christian's guide (above) is probably the best resource at the moment. He regularly reads this list and updates his article based on feedback like yours.

A better way to install Gitorious unless you enjoy doing the manual work would probably be if there were packages for the various Linux distributions out there. To my knowledge noone has created such packages for Debian based systems, but just the last few days I've heard of packages for two other Linux distributions:

Anyone else on the list working on packages for Gitorious?

Cheers,
- Marius

Will Daniels

Feb 17, 2010, 5:14:36 AM2/17/10
to Gitorious
On Feb 17, 10:17 am, Marius Mårnes Mathiesen

<marius.mathie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Ramprasad Gurumoorthy <
>
> Anyone else on the list working on packages for Gitorious?

In Christian's guide he says "As far as I know, a .deb package is on
it's way, which will make this whole process alot easier" though I
cannot find any more about this besides the debian WNPP bug #527162
with an initial request[1].

I could perhaps have a go if nobody else has started yet. Does anybody
have more information on the status of a Debian package?

Cheers,
Will

Ramprasad Gurumoorthy

Feb 17, 2010, 5:31:02 AM2/17/10
to gito...@googlegroups.com
A .deb package is very vital to overcome this daunting task of installing too many things to make Gitorious up and running!

I had what might be the same problem with logging in when I first
installed gitorious and the problem had to do with cookies. Are you
using localhost for the domain? Gitorious tries to set this as the
cookie domain which is invalid without a subdomain, so the session
cookie doesn't stick in the browser (except some browsers like Opera I
think). If you change the domain to have a subdomain like git.local it
should work. Or you could use my patch:

http://gitorious.org/~wdaniels/gitorious/wgd-mainline/commit/c21a0c21129a48b25f3b656085689960d2892eed

Will Daniels,
I did apply your patch but no luck.

Thanks!

Regards
Ramprasad G
Associate - Systems
Artha42 Technology Solutions Pvt. Ltd.,
http://www.artha42.com
E-mail: rampr...@artha42.com
+91 9894987623
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ramprasadgurumoorthy
Sent from Chennai, TN, India

Will Daniels

Feb 17, 2010, 5:52:53 AM2/17/10
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On 17 February 2010 12:31, Ramprasad Gurumoorthy <moorthyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I did apply your patch but no luck.

Oh well, sounded like the same problem.

So did you check the SSL virtual host config in Apache as Marius said? Are you setting *both* gitorious_client_host and gitorious_host? What _exactly_ is the result after login? Can you see the session cookie in the browser under the domain you're using?

Regards,
Will

Marius Mårnes Mathiesen

Feb 17, 2010, 6:15:21 AM2/17/10
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Will Daniels <daniel...@googlemail.com> wrote:
In Christian's guide he says "As far as I know, a .deb package is on
it's way, which will make this whole process alot easier" though I
cannot find any more about this besides the debian WNPP bug #527162
with an initial request[1].

I think he may have referred to something I started but never finished. On my spare time I've been reading all the great Debian documentation and I have created some packages for activemq and Gitorious (pulling in a deb for Ruby Enterprise edition which provides the Apache documentation). However, this was my first shot at creating a deb ever, and I really don't know all the tools that exist. The preinst/postinst hooks don't work with upgrades the way they should, files are probably put in all the wrong places, you know...

I could perhaps have a go if nobody else has started yet. Does anybody
have more information on the status of a Debian package?

It would be really great if you would. I suspect that quite a lot of the folks installing Gitorious would choose a package if one existed, but I realise it's too much work for me to build and maintain something like that. We should probably discuss which packages Gitorious should consist of at some point. There are parts of Gitorious that aren't required in all cases (the git deamon, http cloning etc.) - these should probably be separate packages that depend on gitorious-base? Also, we would probably have to come up with a plan for handling versions of Gitorious so that we tag Gitorious itself after implementing new feature sets etc. And there are probably thousands of things I haven't thought of...

Also I hear that openSUSE's build service can build .debs too, would that be a good idea?

Cheers,
- Marius

Will Daniels

Feb 17, 2010, 6:51:51 AM2/17/10
to gito...@googlegroups.com
On 17 February 2010 13:15, Marius Mårnes Mathiesen <marius.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think he may have referred to something I started but never finished. On my spare time I've been reading all the great Debian documentation and I have created some packages for activemq and Gitorious (pulling in a deb for Ruby Enterprise edition which provides the Apache documentation). However, this was my first shot at creating a deb ever, and I really don't know all the tools that exist. The preinst/postinst hooks don't work with upgrades the way they should, files are probably put in all the wrong places, you know...

Hi Marius,

I'm in much the same situation to be honest, which is why I wasn't going to interfere if somebody else was already doing it. I have been building quite a large package (virtuoso server) with a couple of Debian developers recently though and I've learned quite a lot about the tools and processes that way.

Perhaps if we work together a bit we could at least get it to a state where we can submit it - they'll soon point out all the mistakes :D The important thing is to get something working decently to get the ball rolling with I think...

Also I hear that openSUSE's build service can build .debs too, would that be a good idea?

As I understand it, this will only construct binary debs, so it's no substitute for building a "proper" Debian package. Though perhaps just the binary packages would be welcomed by some people struggling to install. I don't know how well the conversion process works...I'm assuming it's along the lines of the Alien RPM<->DEB tool? It might be worth looking into as an interim solution but that would need to be a job for someone else I'm afraid :P

Any chance you could send me your initial efforts on the packaging? I will see what I can do over the weekend.

Thanks,
Will