[Gfs-devel] gerris libraries clarification

Jonathan Underwood

Dec 5, 2011, 10:52:27 AM12/5/11
to gfs-devel
Hi,

While putting together the Fedora packages, I had a mind to split the
gerris package into gerris, gerris-libs and gerris-devel. My thinking
being that gerris would require gerris-libs. And that gfsview would
require gerris-libs, but not gerris.

However, there seems to be two sets of libraries - those under
/usr/lib{64} and those under /usr/lib{64}/gerris. In the packages on
the gerris website, the latter are part of the devel package.

Could you clarify what the libs under /usr/lib{64}/gerris are intended for?

Cheers,
Jonathan.

Stephane Popinet

Dec 5, 2011, 2:54:53 PM12/5/11
to GFS developper discussion list
Hi Jonathan,

> While putting together the Fedora packages, I had a mind to split the
> gerris package into gerris, gerris-libs and gerris-devel. My thinking
> being that gerris would require gerris-libs. And that gfsview would
> require gerris-libs, but not gerris.

Yes, that sounds OK. But see my points above "runtime" and "devel"
below. I think you should also look at what the gerris Debian package
maintainers are doing:

http://packages.debian.org/source/wheezy/gerris

They also have a serial and a parallel version but I think this may be
a bit much: the "parallel" version runs fine in serial. It would also
be nice if your RPM packages were called something similar to the
debian packages i.e. libgfs, libgfs-dev etc...

Note also that I use opensuse buildservice to provide my own snapshots
(although the Red Hat 6 package is currently broken), see:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=gerris-snapshot&project=home%3Apopinet
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=gfsview-snapshot&project=home%3Apopinet

The corresponding rpm specfiles are in the rpm/ directory of the
source distributions for Gerris and GfsView. You could use them as a
starting point.

> However, there seems to be two sets of libraries - those under
> /usr/lib{64} and those under /usr/lib{64}/gerris. In the packages on
> the gerris website, the latter are part of the devel package.
>
> Could you clarify what the libs under /usr/lib{64}/gerris are intended for?

They are dynamically loadable modules. See:

http://gfs.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Object_hierarchy#Modules

Note also that the gerris runtime also requires the header files
(normally part of the "devel" package) because it does on-the-fly
compilation of functions etc.... This is one of the reasons I don't
bother to split my packages into "runtime" and "devel" since they are
not independent anyway.

cheers

Stephane