polyhedra database

and...@plan9.att.com

Aug 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/30/95
excuse the double posting, but i am unsure of who
would be interested in this request.

i ``own'' a database of polyhedra that is freely available
by email and anonymous ftp. it includes flattened net descriptions,
3D coords, dihedral angles, names, Schafli[sic?] symbol amongst
other stuff. for many solids, it has analytic values as well
as high resolution floating point numbers.
it covers all the regular polyhedra, archimedean
solids, a number of prisms and antiprisms, and all the Johnson polyhedra
(all convex polyhedra with regular polygonal faces) and some odd
solids including the echidnahedron (my name; its actually the final
stellation of teh icosahedron). this database has existed essentially
untouched for several years and has been reasonably popular (at least,
quite a few people asked for entries from teh databse).

there are, however, some bugs and things to fix; namely,
some nets are wrong and several solids have no 3D information.
unfortunately, i am unable to work on this stuff for various
reasons (mainly real work for my employer!). i am looking for
a volunteer to take over the database and finish/fix it,
and maybe introduce it to the WWW.
i have a bunch of data and programs to help do this, but
these may well be overtaken by the current state of symbolic
mathematic systems (as a point of reference, when i first did this,
mathematica had not been invented).

if you would like to do this, or want more information,
please email me at and...@research.att.com, or if you prefer,
call me at +1 908-582-6262. please feel free to forward this note
or repost it to other relevant audiences.

andrew hume

p.s. maybe this would make a good (though largish) class project?