20% buffer

harshid

Jan 28, 2008, 3:36:05 PM1/28/08
to gecko-mediaplayer
Hi,
I have a small feature request. Would it be possible to have the 20%
buffer in gecko-mediaplayer be configurable. Now i did read somewhere
in this newsgroup that you don't want this exposed though the
preferences panel. I understand why you wouldnt want this but how
about having it exposed just in gconf but not through the main
preference panel. Basically creating a hidden setting.

Please take this request into consideration.

Thanks

Kevin DeKorte

Jan 28, 2008, 3:53:37 PM1/28/08
to gecko-me...@googlegroups.com

harshid

Jan 29, 2008, 3:14:07 PM1/29/08
to gecko-mediaplayer
First of all thank you for taking my request under consideration. The
reason i want this is because, i have good/decent connection speed of
about 2mbits/sec actual. This is fast enough to comfortably stream a
400MB-45min video at roughly 1.5x real-time but not fast enough for me
to not notice the buffer period. 20% of a 400MB video takes roughly
5mins to download. 5mins is along time, especially when you're just
skimming through a pile of videos, just so that you can find something
good to watch. Those 5mins add up to me using totem instead and then
pulling my hair out because it sucks (sorry totem devs).

Thanks

On Jan 28, 8:53 pm, Kevin DeKorte <kdeko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> harshid wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a small feature request. Would it be possible to have the 20%
> > buffer in gecko-mediaplayer be configurable. Now i did read somewhere
> > in this newsgroup that you don't want this exposed though the
> > preferences panel. I understand why you wouldnt want this but how
> > about having it exposed just in gconf but not through the main
> > preference panel. Basically creating a hidden setting.
>
> > Please take this request into consideration.
>
> > Thanks
>
> I'm curious as to the use case of this. I am considering do this, but
> I'm curious as to why you want to change it.
>
> Kevin
>
> - --
> Get my public GnuPG key fromhttp://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x7D0BD5D1
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Fedora -http://enigmail.mozdev.org

Kevin DeKorte

Jan 29, 2008, 3:42:41 PM1/29/08

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 12:14 -0800, harshid wrote:
> First of all thank you for taking my request under consideration. The
> reason i want this is because, i have good/decent connection speed of
> about 2mbits/sec actual. This is fast enough to comfortably stream a
> 400MB-45min video at roughly 1.5x real-time but not fast enough for me
> to not notice the buffer period. 20% of a 400MB video takes roughly
> 5mins to download. 5mins is along time, especially when you're just
> skimming through a pile of videos, just so that you can find something
> good to watch. Those 5mins add up to me using totem instead and then
> pulling my hair out because it sucks (sorry totem devs).

Ok, I made a change to the CVS code that works like this...

It opens the file if the amount downloaded is > 20% or is twice the
cache size. So if you leave the cachesize to the default, it will open
at 4MB. However, at this point the autopause feature of gnome-mplayer
MAY kickin and make you wait just a few more seconds.

I have a 13Mbit pipe here and even I can't stream an Apple HD trailer at
720p without a delay.

Also, if you lower the cache as low as it will go, most likely mplayer
will fail on you and it could affect playback.

Never the less, give CVS of gecko-mediaplayer a try and see if it works
better for you.

BTW, I totally understand the dislike of totem, why do you think that
gnome-mplayer was made.

Kevin

signature.asc