file upload, blobstore...billing?

Soren Aalto

Feb 23, 2011, 9:46:59 AM2/23/11
to gae...@googlegroups.com
I've been planning to put something on appengine
for ages, and finally got as far as deploying the
Gaelyk template app today...

Now, I recall from ages ago that appengine
provided it's own nice file upload facility that
uses the blobstore API -- and there seems to be
some sample code in the template app.

However, when I try and run it, it doesn't work
and I get an exception in the logs saying
that the blobstore API is disabled until I
enable billing for the app.

Is this so?  Do I have to use Apache commons
FileUpload or something instead to upload
files?

--
Soren Aalto
Director: ICT

Guillaume Laforge

Feb 23, 2011, 9:54:26 AM2/23/11
to gae...@googlegroups.com
Hi Soren,

If you want to use the blobstore, then you definitely have to enable billing.
But enabling billing doesn't mean you actually have to pay anything.
Unless of course your application is very popular and you're going above some quota.

That said... for file uploads, I don't know if Apache Commons FileUpload works on App Engine.
It definitely won't work in a mode where you'd use temporary files (since you can't create files on App Engine), that said, perhaps it may work with their streaming API or something like that.

Please tell us if you go that way and try that, I'd be interested in knowing how it goes.

Anyhow, you'll have to store the file you're uploading somehow... and the question is then where and how.

Guillaume

--
You've received this message because you've subscribed to the Gaelyk Google Group.
To send an email to the group, please write to: gae...@googlegroups.com

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager

Tomas Lin

Feb 23, 2011, 10:22:24 AM2/23/11
to gae...@googlegroups.com
You need to use streaming support if you're going the Apache Commons route -

http://mrhaki.blogspot.com/2009/11/add-file-upload-support-to-groovlets-in.html

But you still need a place to store them since there is no filesystem.

Jeremy Brown

Feb 23, 2011, 2:36:22 PM2/23/11
to gae...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, you don't have to pay anything. You have to enable billing, give them your credit card, and enable a standard max payment per week of $14. But, if you then wait 10 minutes or so, you can adjust your maximum billling per week to be $0. You still get 1GB of blob storage. So that is probably plenty of space to test your app. I've done this with two different apps and it works fine.

Jeremy

Vinny

Feb 23, 2011, 2:45:04 PM2/23/11
to gae...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I've enabled billing myself a while back and noticed that you
could also get 3 "always on" for $0.30/day a day which I'm taking
advantage of.
--
biz: http://www.linkedin.com/in/vincentstoessel/

Soren Aalto

Feb 24, 2011, 12:40:46 AM2/24/11
to gae...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Guillaume Laforge <glaf...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Soren,

If you want to use the blobstore, then you definitely have to enable billing.
But enabling billing doesn't mean you actually have to pay anything.
Unless of course your application is very popular and you're going above some quota.

Thanks -- I've enabled billing, but was suprised that it took about 12
hours between the credit card transaction for "$0.00 now" and
billing actually being enabled in the dashboard.  But the blob upload
works now.