Access violation exception when trying to run starter sample

Lane

Nov 13, 2010, 10:14:39 AM11/13/10
to G3D Users
I'm running Windows 7.

I followed these instructions: http://g3d.sourceforge.net/binary.html

I opened the starter sample project with MS Visual Studio 2008
Professional.

I compiled the project and ran it in the debugger and got the
following:

Unhandled exception at 0x00000000 in starter.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
violation reading location 0x00000000.

Here's the stack trace:

00000000()
starter.exe!G3D::Framebuffer::create() + 0x57 bytes C++
starter.exe!G3D::Film::init() + 0x30d bytes C++
starter.exe!G3D::Film::Film() + 0x105 bytes C++
starter.exe!G3D::Film::create() + 0x63 bytes C++
> starter.exe!G3D::GApp::GApp() + 0x155a bytes C++
starter.exe!App::App(const G3D::GApp::Settings & settings={...})
Line 32 + 0x50 bytes C++
starter.exe!main(int argc=1, char * * argv=0x003f4c60) Line 28 +
0x12 bytes C++
starter.exe!G3D_WinMain() + 0xe4 bytes C++
starter.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInst=0x00400000, HINSTANCE__ *
hPrev=0x00000000, char * szCmdLine=0x002b5dd6, int sw=1) Line 5 +
0x33 bytes C++
starter.exe!__tmainCRTStartup() Line 574 + 0x35 bytes C
starter.exe!WinMainCRTStartup() Line 399 C
kernel32.dll!762b3677()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for
kernel32.dll]
ntdll.dll!77479d42()
ntdll.dll!77479d15()

Let me know what other info you might need. Thanks.

Corey Taylor

Nov 13, 2010, 11:37:19 PM11/13/10
to g3d-...@googlegroups.com
Hrm, what are your graphics cards specs from the log.txt file?

I'll have to check what line that is in the 8.0 release.

corey

Lane

Nov 14, 2010, 8:55:38 AM11/14/10
to G3D Users
Warning: using wglCreateContext instead of wglCreateContextAttribsARB;
OpenGL compatibility profile will not be available.
Setting video mode
wglSwapIntervalEXT(0);
Enabling separate specular lighting.
Setting initial rendering state.
Done setting initial state.
numTextureCoords = 8
numTextures = 16
numTextureUnits = 8
glGet(GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS_ARB) = 8
glGet(GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS_ARB) = 16
Operating System: Windows 6.1 build 7600 Platform 2
Processor Architecture: 4 x 32-bit Intel processor

GL Vendor: Intel
GL Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics
GL Version: 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2189
Driver version: 8.15.10.2189

GL extensions: "GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract
GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_texture3D
GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap
GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_EXT_rescale_normal
GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp
GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_ARB_multitexture
GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_func_separate
GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_texture_env_add
GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_texture_env_add
GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
GL_NV_blend_square GL_ARB_texture_compression
GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_point_parameters
GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_shadow_funcs
GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_EXT_texture_rectangle
GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_EXT_stencil_two_side
GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_fragment_shader
GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100
GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_vertex_shader
GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_ARB_point_sprite
GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_ARB_depth_texture
GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_color_buffer_float
GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_texture_float
GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_EXT_draw_buffers2
GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_packed_float
GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_ARB_texture_rg
GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_NV_conditional_render
GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB
GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float
GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit
GL_ARB_vertex_array_object "

Supported Formats:
Format Texture RenderBuffer
L8 Yes No
L16 Yes No
L16F Yes No
L32F Yes No
A8 Yes No
A16 Yes No
A16F Yes No
A32F Yes No
LA4 Yes No
LA8 Yes No
LA16 Yes No
LA16F Yes No
LA32F Yes No
RGB5 Yes No
RGB5A1 Yes No
RGB8 Yes No
RGB10 Yes No
RGB10A2 Yes No
RGB16 Yes No
RGB32F Yes No
R11G11B10F Yes No
RGB9E10F Yes No
RGB8I No No
RGB8UI No No
BGR8 Yes No
R8 Yes No
RG8 Yes No
RG8I No No
RG8UI No No
RG16F Yes No
RGBA8 Yes No
RGBA16 Yes No
RGBA16F Yes No
RGBA32F Yes No
RGBA32UI No No
YUV420_PLANAR No No
YUV422 No No
YUV444 No No
RGB_DXT1 Yes No
RGBA_DXT1 Yes No
RGBA_DXT3 Yes No
RGBA_DXT5 Yes No
SRGB8 Yes No
SRGBA8 Yes No
SL8 Yes No
SLA8 Yes No
SRGB_DXT1 Yes No
SRGBA_DXT1 Yes No
SRGBA_DXT3 Yes No
SRGBA_DXT5 Yes No
DEPTH16 Yes No
DEPTH24 Yes No
DEPTH32 Yes No
DEPTH32F Yes No
STENCIL1 No No
STENCIL4 No No
STENCIL8 No No
STENCIL16 No No
DEPTH24_STENCIL8 No No

Capability Minimum Desired Received Ok?
* RENDER DEVICE
Depth 16 bits 24 bits 24 bits ok
Stencil 8 bits 8 bits 8 bits ok
Alpha 8 bits ok
Red 8 bits ok
Green 8 bits ok
Blue 8 bits ok
FSAA 0 0 ok
Width 960 pixels ok
Height 600 pixels ok
Mode Windowed ok

This driver will NOT support G3D 9.00:
GLSL version 3.30 NO (GLSL version on this driver is
1.0)
OpenGL version on this driver is
2.1
GL_EXT_stencil_two_side yes
GL_ARB_depth_clamp NO - Required for G3D 9.0!
GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two yes
GL_ARB_texture_float yes
GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 NO - Required for G3D 9.0!
GL_ARB_sync NO - Required for G3D 9.0!
GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend NO - Required for G3D 9.0!
WGL_ARB_create_context NO - Required for G3D 9.0!
GL_ARB_vertex_array_object yes
GL_ARB_instanced_arrays NO - Required for G3D 9.0!
GL_ARB_shader_objects yes
GL_ARB_shading_language_100 yes
GL_ARB_map_buffer_range NO - Required for G3D 9.0!
GL_EXT_texture_integer NO - Required for G3D 9.0!
GL_ARB_texture_rg yes
GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map (NO - Recommended but not
required.)
GL_ARB_sample_shading NO - Required for G3D 9.0!

Done initializing RenderDevice.

Morgan McGuire

Nov 14, 2010, 10:52:53 AM11/14/10
to g3d-...@googlegroups.com
You're running on an Intel "gpu" that barely supports OpenGL. You
need to get a more sophisticated graphics card to do OpenGL work or
switch to a compatible software renderer like Mesa--that is why you're
having problems.

I'm able to run G3D 9.00 on an Intel gpu, but it is very slow and many
shaders don't compile correctly.

-m

Prof. Morgan McGuire
Computer Science Department
Williams College
http://cs.williams.edu/~morgan

Corey Taylor

Nov 14, 2010, 4:17:39 PM11/14/10
to g3d-...@googlegroups.com
You might be able to run G3D on that Intel gpu if you disable "film" in the starter demo.  Open the App.cpp files in that project and add:

settings.film.enabled = false;

But, like Morgan said, your card can be used for basic OpenGL code, but G3D relies on many advanced or new features since it's used to develop and prototype software based on them.

corey

jayesh iyer

Nov 15, 2010, 4:44:31 PM11/15/10
to G3D Users
Hi,

I am having the same problem as Lane did. The tweak Corey suggested
did not resolve my issue. I am using a Win 7 OS as well and VS 2008
Express edition.

Also, I am not sure if i installed the G3D properly. I had to create a
new system variable called G3DDATA (not sure if this error is due to a
faulty installation of the G3D - I unzipped the files as specified in
the manual).

Kindly let me know if there is anything else that needs to be done for
this to start working.

Regards
Jayesh Iyer

On Nov 14, 3:17 pm, Corey Taylor <corey.taylor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You might be able to run G3D on that Intel gpu if you disable "film" in the
> starter demo.  Open the App.cpp files in that project and add:
>
> settings.film.enabled = false;
>
> But, like Morgan said, your card can be used for basic OpenGL code, but G3D
> relies on many advanced or new features since it's used to develop and
> prototype software based on them.
>
> corey
>
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Morgan McGuire <mor...@cs.williams.edu>wrote:
>
> > You're running on an Intel "gpu" that barely supports OpenGL.  You
> > need to get a more sophisticated graphics card to do OpenGL work or
> > switch to a compatible software renderer like Mesa--that is why you're
> > having problems.
>
> > I'm able to run G3D 9.00 on an Intel gpu, but it is very slow and many
> > shaders don't compile correctly.
>
> > -m
>
> > Prof. Morgan McGuire
> > Computer Science Department
> > Williams College
> >http://cs.williams.edu/~morgan

> read more »

Corey Taylor

Nov 15, 2010, 4:59:40 PM11/15/10
to g3d-...@googlegroups.com
Well, let's see if you have the same problem.

What is your GPU spec from the log.txt file?

corey

jayesh iyer

Nov 15, 2010, 5:11:02 PM11/15/10
to G3D Users
Hi Corey,

I changed the folder name to G3D instead of G3D-8.0-win32 and now
there is no exception, but another error -

Could not find 'console-small.fnt'.

cwd = 'c:\Projects\Interactive 3D work\Samples\FirstApp\FirstApp'

G3DDATA = (illegal path!) Could not find 'console-small.fnt'.

I updated the folder name to G3D in all places - the include files,
library files (in Tools->Options of Visual Studio) and also in
Environment Variables.

In case you still need the log file, am pasting the contents here:

Application Log
Start: Mon Nov 15 16:04:49 2010

cwd = c:\Projects\Interactive 3D Visualization work\SampleWork\FirstApp
\FirstApp
Warning: using wglCreateContext instead of wglCreateContextAttribsARB;
OpenGL compatibility profile will not be available.
Setting video mode
wglSwapIntervalEXT(0);
Enabling separate specular lighting.
Setting initial rendering state.
Done setting initial state.
numTextureCoords = 8
numTextures = 16
numTextureUnits = 8
glGet(GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS_ARB) = 8
glGet(GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS_ARB) = 16
Operating System: Windows 6.1 build 7600 Platform 2
Processor Architecture: 2 x 32-bit Intel processor

GL Vendor: Intel
GL Renderer: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
GL Version: 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2202
Driver version: 8.15.10.2202
Network StartupStarting WinSock networking.
Network:
Loaded winsock specification version 1630609 (2 is the highest
available)
514 sockets available
Largest UDP datagram packet size is 0 bytes

System {
App {
Name =
"c:\\Projects\\Interactive 3D Visualization
work\\SampleWork\\FirstApp\\Debug\\FirstApp.exe"
cwd =
"c:\\Projects\\Interactive 3D Visualization
work\\SampleWork\\FirstApp\\FirstApp"
}

OS {

Name = "Windows 6.1 build 7600 Platform 2 "
}

CPU {
Vendor = "GenuineIntel"
Architecture = "2 x 32-bit Intel processor"
hasCPUID = Yes
hasMMX = Yes
hasSSE = Yes
hasSSE2 = Yes
hasSSE3 = Yes
has3DNow = No
hasRDTSC = Yes
numCores = 2
}

G3D {
Link version = 80000
Compile version = "G3D 8.00"
}

GPU {
Chipset = "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family"
Vendor = "Intel"
Driver = "8.15.10.2202"
OpenGL version = "2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2202"
Textures = 16
Texture coordinates = 8
Texture units = 8
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE = 4096
GL_MAX_CUBE_MAP_TEXTURE_SIZE = 2048
GL_MAX_COLOR_ATTACHMENTS = 0
}

Window {
API = "Win32"
Version = "1.1"
In focus = Yes
Centered = Yes
Framed = Yes
Visible = Yes
Resizable = No
Full screen = No
Top = 70
Left = 157
Width = 960
Height = 600
Refresh rate = 85
Alpha bits = 0
Red bits = 8
Green bits = 8
Blue bits = 8
Depth bits = 24
Stencil bits = 8
Asynchronous = Yes
Stereo = No
FSAA samples = 0
}

Network {
{
hostname = "jayesh-PC"
name = ""
ip = 10. 20. 3. 52
subnet = 0. 0.255.255
broadcast = 255.255.255.255
mac = 00:00:00:00:00:00
}

}

}

Initializing System::findDataFile took 0.001676s

**************************

Assertion Failure - FirstApp.exe
Could not find 'console-small.fnt'.

cwd = 'c:\Projects\Interactive 3D Visualization work\SampleWork
\FirstApp\FirstApp'
G3DDATA = (illegal path!) Could not find 'console-small.fnt'.

cwd = 'c:\Projects\Interactive 3D Visualization work\SampleWork
\FirstApp\FirstApp'
G3DDATA = (illegal path!) C:\Projects\Interactive 3D Visualization work
\G3D-8.00-win32\data'
GApp::Settings.dataDir = (illegal path!) C:\Projects\Interactive 3D
Visualization work\G3D-8.00-win32\data'

Locations searched:
'console-small.fnt'
'
GApp::Settings.dataDir = (illegal path!) Could not find 'console-
small.fnt'.

cwd = 'c:\Projects\Interactive 3D Visualization work\SampleWork
\FirstApp\FirstApp'
G3DDATA = (illegal path!) C:\Projects\Interactive 3D Visualization work
\G3D-8.00-win32\data'
GApp::Settings.dataDir = (illegal path!) C:\Projects\Interactive 3D
Visualization work\G3D-8.00-win32\data'

Locations searched:
'console-small.fnt'
'

Locations searched:
'console-small.fnt'

Expression: false

..\G3D.lib\source\System.cpp:458

Last Error (0x00000003): T

Regards
Jayesh Iyer

On Nov 15, 3:59 pm, Corey Taylor <corey.taylor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, let's see if you have the same problem.
>
> What is your GPU spec from the log.txt file?
>
> corey

Corey Taylor

Nov 15, 2010, 5:31:31 PM11/15/10
to g3d-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:11 PM, jayesh iyer <iyer.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Corey,

I changed the folder name to G3D instead of G3D-8.0-win32 and now
there is no exception, but another error -

Could not find 'console-small.fnt'.

cwd = 'c:\Projects\Interactive 3D work\Samples\FirstApp\FirstApp'

G3DDATA = (illegal path!) Could not find 'console-small.fnt'.

G3DDATA needs to be a valid path pointing to the data directory.  That is where console-small.fnt lives.  The other error isn't gone, this one just shows up first now.
I don't remember which version is required in G3D 8, but we switched from EXT_framebuffer extension to ARB_framebuffer extension (now part of the OpenGL 3 spec).

My guess is your driver doesn't support creating a framebuffer with the specifications or API that G3D is trying to use.  Again, I believe this is currently only used by default in Film.

corey

jayesh iyer

Nov 15, 2010, 5:41:04 PM11/15/10
to G3D Users
Hi Corey,

the following is my G3DDATA value in the environment variables -

"C:\Projects\Interactive 3D work\G3D\data"

This is the path where I unzipped the G3D-win32 files.Kindly let me
know if I should change something here.

And i have set

settings.film.enabled = false

in the App.cpp file.

Regards
Jay

jayesh iyer

Nov 15, 2010, 5:47:07 PM11/15/10
to G3D Users
Hi Corey,

I guess i needed to restart my visual studio. I did that and it
started working...:)

Thanks a lot for your help!! Really appreciate it.

I have one final question - can you please let me know what I am
missing out on if I am not using the film (by setting it to false)?

I am working on my laptop at present and can move to a lab computer in
my school if the graphics card is the only problem.

Thank you
Regards
Jay

Morgan McGuire

Nov 15, 2010, 6:00:42 PM11/15/10
to g3d-...@googlegroups.com
Film allows you to render values that are "brighter" than the screen and does appropriate blooming.

It also applies gamma correction.  Without it, everything will look a bit too dark, which is the OpenGL default for historical reasons.

-m

Prof. Morgan McGuire
Computer Science Department
Williams College
http://cs.williams.edu/~morgan

jayesh iyer

Nov 17, 2010, 2:28:06 PM11/17/10
to G3D Users
Thanks for the info Prof Morgan.

Corey/Prof Morgan,

I moved onto a system with a better graphics card (in the computer lab
of my school) and I find that here I am encountering assertion
failures. I am pasting my log file here for more information:

Application Log
Start: Wed Nov 17 13:19:20 2010

cwd = h:\Interactive Visualization project\Code Files\SampleWork
\FirstApp\FirstApp
**************************
Assertion Failure - FirstApp.exe
Debug assertion failure

Expression: __wglewChoosePixelFormatARB != 0
..\GLG3D.lib\source\Win32Window.cpp:970

Last Error (0x0000007F): T

Warning: using wglCreateContext instead of wglCreateContextAttribsARB;
OpenGL compatibility profile will not be available.
No GL_ARB_multitexture support: forcing number of texture units to no
more than 1

**************************
Assertion Failure - FirstApp.exe
GL_INVALID_ENUM

Expression: false
..\GLG3D.lib\source\GLCaps.cpp:420

Last Error (0x0000007F): T

**************************
Assertion Failure - FirstApp.exe
GL_INVALID_ENUM

Expression: false
..\GLG3D.lib\source\GLCaps.cpp:229

Setting video mode

Can you please let me know what is missing in this computer? Is it
something to do with missing OpenGL driver files?
I will be checking to see if the OpenGL drivers are present on this
system or not.

Regards
Jay

On Nov 15, 5:00 pm, Morgan McGuire <mor...@cs.williams.edu> wrote:
> Film allows you to render values that are "brighter" than the screen and
> does appropriate blooming.
>
> It also applies gamma correction.  Without it, everything will look a bit
> too dark, which is the OpenGL default for historical reasons.
>
> -m
>
> Prof. Morgan McGuire
> Computer Science Department
> Williams Collegehttp://cs.williams.edu/~morgan

Morgan McGuire

Nov 17, 2010, 2:34:53 PM11/17/10
to g3d-...@googlegroups.com
Do you know what the GPU and driver version are on that machine? This
looks like an OpenGL installation error.

-m

Prof. Morgan McGuire
Computer Science Department
Williams College
http://cs.williams.edu/~morgan

jayesh iyer

Nov 17, 2010, 2:59:37 PM11/17/10
to G3D Users
Prof Morgan,

The GPU i think is - ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 Series (Microsoft
Corporation WDDM)
Driver Version - 8.56.1.15

I don't think it is an OpenGL installation error. I tried running a
simple OpenGL based graphics application and it worked (this did not
involve G3D - I used normal OpenGL calls like glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES),
etc). I also found OpenGL32.dll in Windows/System32.

Another thing I noticed is that this computer in the lab is running a
Windows 7 - 32 bit OS. (Not sure if this is of any significance
though).

Thank you
Regards
Jay

On Nov 17, 1:34 pm, Morgan McGuire <mor...@cs.williams.edu> wrote:
> Do you know what the GPU and driver version are on that machine?  This
> looks like an OpenGL installation error.
>
> -m
>
> Prof. Morgan McGuire
> Computer Science Department
> Williams Collegehttp://cs.williams.edu/~morgan

Morgan McGuire

Nov 17, 2010, 3:04:32 PM11/17/10
to g3d-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I think that is the problem. I've heard that one has to
initialize OpenGL slightly differently on Windows 7, but I don't have
a Win7 box yet so I haven't been able to look into it yet.

-m

Prof. Morgan McGuire
Computer Science Department
Williams College
http://cs.williams.edu/~morgan

Corey Taylor

Nov 17, 2010, 3:23:41 PM11/17/10
to g3d-...@googlegroups.com
I have a Win 7 box and have been running G3D on it.

I'll take a look at this on my Win 7 box later.

corey

Corey Taylor

Nov 17, 2010, 3:40:31 PM11/17/10
to g3d-...@googlegroups.com

Can you run that on the machine in question and tell us what it says about the video card, driver and opengl version?

corey

jayesh iyer

Nov 17, 2010, 3:58:49 PM11/17/10
to G3D Users
Hi Corey,

Please find below the details after running the OpenGL extensions
viewer on the computer in the lab -

System Info -
Renderer: GDI Generic
Adapter RAM: 256 MB
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Display: 1280 x 1024 x 32 bpp (60hz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @
2.40GHz

OpenGL -
Version: 1.1
Driver version: 8.56.1.15

DirectX -
Version: 9.0c - august 2004
Shader Model: vs_3_0, ps_3_0

Kindly let me know if you need any more details.

Regards
Jay

On Nov 17, 2:40 pm, Corey Taylor <corey.taylor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html
>
> Can you run that on the machine in question and tell us what it says about
> the video card, driver and opengl version?
>
> corey
>
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Corey Taylor <corey.taylor...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > I have a Win 7 box and have been running G3D on it.
>
> > I'll take a look at this on my Win 7 box later.
>
> > corey
>
> >   On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Morgan McGuire <mor...@cs.williams.edu>wrote:
>
> >> Yes, I think that is the problem.  I've heard that one has to
> >> initialize OpenGL slightly differently on Windows 7, but I don't have
> >> a Win7 box yet so I haven't been able to look into it yet.
>
> >> -m
>
> >> Prof. Morgan McGuire
> >> Computer Science Department
> >> Williams College
> >>http://cs.williams.edu/~morgan
>
> >>  On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 2:59 PM, jayesh iyer <iyer.jay.2...@gmail.com>

Corey Taylor

Nov 17, 2010, 4:00:45 PM11/17/10
to g3d-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 3:58 PM, jayesh iyer <iyer.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Corey,

Please find below the details after running the OpenGL extensions
viewer on the computer in the lab -

System Info -
Renderer:                      GDI Generic
Adapter RAM:                256 MB
Monitor:                        Generic PnP Monitor
Display:                        1280 x 1024 x 32 bpp (60hz)
Operating System:         Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
Processor:                    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU    6600   @
2.40GHz

OpenGL -
Version:                        1.1
Driver version:                8.56.1.15

DirectX -
Version:                        9.0c - august 2004
Shader Model:               vs_3_0, ps_3_0

Kindly let me know if you need any more details.

This means your driver is not installed correctly.  You should expect to see the name of the card in "Renderer" and an Open GL version such as 3.1.

I would discuss the issue with your lab admin.

corey

Morgan McGuire

Nov 17, 2010, 4:18:31 PM11/17/10
to g3d-...@googlegroups.com
That looks like this machine does not have real OpenGL on it--GDI
generic 1.1 is the broken Microsoft software renderer.

-m

Prof. Morgan McGuire
Computer Science Department
Williams College
http://cs.williams.edu/~morgan

jayesh iyer

Nov 17, 2010, 5:05:13 PM11/17/10
to G3D Users
Corey/Prof Morgan,

So, if i ask the lab admin to install the latest drivers for the
graphics card on this system, will it solve the issue?
Or should the OpenGL library be re-installed? Or is it both?

Thank you
Regards
Jay

On Nov 17, 3:18 pm, Morgan McGuire <mor...@cs.williams.edu> wrote:
> That looks like this machine does not have real OpenGL on it--GDI
> generic 1.1 is the broken Microsoft software renderer.
>
> -m
>
> Prof. Morgan McGuire
> Computer Science Department
> Williams Collegehttp://cs.williams.edu/~morgan
>
> read more »

Corey Taylor

Nov 17, 2010, 5:24:08 PM11/17/10
to g3d-...@googlegroups.com
Installing the drivers properly should handle all of the OpenGL setup.  There isn't a "separate" library to install.

corey

jayesh iyer

Nov 17, 2010, 5:25:54 PM11/17/10
to g3d-...@googlegroups.com
Okay.

Thanks a lot for your inputs Corey and Prof Morgan. I'll get these tools installed and see how it goes.

Regards
Jay