[FUR] Is Furbuy evil? Comments?

Almighty TORA

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
I received a letter from the admin of Furbid that a seller from Furbid
decided to spoof off Furbid and charge sellers for putting up the same types
of items that Furbid offers for free. Below is the e-mail I received. NOTE:
E-mails have been removed for protection. Do you guys have any comments on
this? Will sellers on Furbid flock to Furbuy? I hope not...

TORA

===

Subj: FurBid Administrator Message
Date: 00-12-02 01:44:07 EST
From: FurBid

Hello,

This is an administrative message from FurBid:

Gentle users,

It is my sad duty to inform you all of the first user to be banned from
FurBid, as well as why.

As some of you may know, there is a fur by name of Jurann who has, for the
past four months, been working on what he calls "a bigger, better FurBid",
called FurBuy. FurBuy is basically FurBid's premise, with some different
features, plus a fee for selling stuff. I do not include the URL, for the
following reasons.

I am personally not opposed to furs starting up other furry auction houses -
after all, one can't expect to be The Only One forever. Heck, if they look
like they might be a good house, I'd even offer them a hand at "getting the
word out". However, Jurann crossed my line of good taste by trying to get
free advertising for his commercial (by which I mean, sellers are charged a
fee for every auction) site on my free site by selling promotional stuff in
an inappropriate fashion. In other words, he tried to profit off something
that's not his to exploit.

I was quite surprised to discover the auctions for "$10 credit at the new
FurBuy", three of them, each one in the wrong category. If I hadn't received
a bunch of e-mail from users basically asking "what the HECK is going on
with Jurann??", I wouldn't have found out for a while. My thanks...

As of 9:26PM Pacific, Jurann is banned from FurBid. Any auctions posted by
him will be removed, any feedback left by him will be removed, any activity
by him at all will be removed. I wish him well at his venture to start up
his own site, but I cannot support nor tolerate his actions on my own.
Jurann, what was done was in poor taste.

The only advertising that will ever be on FurBid will be the small 468x60
banner that helps keep FurBid the free service that (so I hear) many of you
enjoy.

This is already known, but it deserves re-stating: everyone has their own
opinion. I know some furs may not agree with my decision. Others do, some
whole-heartidly so. I do try to do, as far as I can figure, what is best for
both my service and my users (not in that particular order.)

One argument Jurann has made, I do agree with. There are some things about
FurBid that could stand to be improved. New features to be added. Old
features to be revamped or even removed, if necessary. I can't know what
you'd like to see if nofur tells me about them, tho. We need your feedback,
from time to time, if we can grow to be what you want!

Whew, what a long rant, I apologize. There was a lot that needed to be said,
though, to get it "off my chests", as it were. Now that that's said, let's
move forward, together, shall we?

Happy holidays,

Aatheus
FurBid Administaur

Thank you and please tell a friend about us!
Sincerely,
FurBid

Fur

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
Okay, here goes my two cents.

Furbid was the only game in town up until Friday when Furbuy opened up, not
counting E-bay of course. Why was Furbuy created ? Because furs like
myself demanded it. Granted, Furbid is a "free" service. . .but you get
what you pay for, which is not much.

Key is proxy bidding. I HATE having to go back constantly and update my
bidding manually. We have been promised proxy bidding on Furbid for
*months*, and nothing ever happens, except for more promises that it will
appear "any month now". This feature alone has sold me on FurBuy.

As for the fees on Furbuy, they are quite modest. You have the option to
purchase some value added extras, but you certainly can go the inexpensive
route. For example, a print put up for auction that sold for $10.00 would
have a fee of $0.25.

Furbid was great, because it was the only game in town. Furbuy is a vastly
better site, and will have my business in the future.

As for the pissing match between Aatheus and Jurann, I could care less.

Visit the Furbuy site and see for yourself.

Oskar
P.S. I have NO financial interest in Furbuy other than that I use it to
bid and sell.

Oskar

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00

Gabriel Darkwolven

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00

> As for the pissing match between Aatheus and Jurann, I could care less.
I think the _main_ point Aetheus was making is that Jurann was exploiting
Furbid by getting free advertising by giving "deals" to Furbid users and
posting this information _directly_ on Furbid! I'm sorry, that's like
somebody handing out coupons for Domino's right inside Pizza Hut which would
_never_ happen. I don't think Jurann was wrong to want to attract attention
from Furbid, but how he did it was wrong. He needs to find an appropriate
way to do it.

Gabriel Darkwolven

Almighty TORA

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
I checked out the site and it doesn't look bad. I understand you guys
situation on proxy bidding. Didn't you hate it when you wanted to bid a max
of $50 but Furbid took your $50 bid instantly? I wish that could be fixed...
Oh well. Thanks for your replies, all.

--
Almighty TORA
Se...@aol.com

Kai

Dec 4, 2000, 12:11:50 AM12/4/00
"Almighty TORA" <Se...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I checked out the site and it doesn't look bad. I understand you guys
> situation on proxy bidding. Didn't you hate it when you wanted to bid a
max
> of $50 but Furbid took your $50 bid instantly? I wish that could be
fixed...
> Oh well. Thanks for your replies, all.

In all this chat about the site, I still haven't gotten the URL. What is
it?

Targa

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00
Heh..the only reply he makes to the thread is to advertise. Capitalist
scumbag that he is.
"Jurann Foxtail" <jur...@furcen.org> wrote in message
> www.furbuy.com
>
> --
> --- Jurann Foxtail < jur...@furcen.org >
> -- Owner/Admin FurCen.Org - http://www.furcen.org/
> - Homepages at http://www.furnation.com/jurann/

White Rose

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00

"Targa" <x...@y.com> wrote in message news:90h1m9$q5q$1...@raccoon.fur.com...

> Heh..the only reply he makes to the thread is to advertise. Capitalist
> scumbag that he is.

Oy....

Tim J.

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00

Almighty TORA wrote:

> I received a letter from the admin of Furbid that a seller from Furbid
> decided to spoof off Furbid and charge sellers for putting up the same types
> of items that Furbid offers for free. Below is the e-mail I received. NOTE:
> E-mails have been removed for protection. Do you guys have any comments on
> this? Will sellers on Furbid flock to Furbuy? I hope not...

While I agree that it might not have been the best judgment to advertise the
site's opening in that manner, I have to say that the site itself is quite a bit
better than furbid. No, I'm not burning furbid, or ragging on the system in any
other way. But as a general unbiased comparison (meaning I don't personally
know either site admin. outside e-mails here and there), Furbuy wins out with
certain features and general design. Scripts allow for thumbnails to be
'advertised' in a manner on the main page, which means I don't have to rummage
through immense lists of auctions, or get buried in the fray when I post there
myself (I've had auctions go completely ignored because folks couldn't really
find them under Furbid).

I personally don't give a screaming Christ on a cracker about any infighting,
dirty laundry or 'furry politics' that might be surrounding this. The world is
a rough place, and mistakes are sometimes made. If the system itself is
convenient I'll use it, and right now FurBuy is the more convenient of the
systems. No, I won't stop using Furbid the odd time just like I haven't stopped
using Ebay. Unless the Administrators start selling dead babies or bomb making
kits, I'll use the systems.

Competition is usually not a bad thing. And yes, I am a cranky git (It happens
when winter hits Canada). ;)

T.J.
http://rusted.critter.net
And everything will turn to dust.