Definition adopted by Wikimedia Foundation

Erik Moeller

Mar 27, 2007, 1:52:46 AM3/27/07
to freecult...@googlegroups.com
The Definition of Free Cultural Works has been officially adopted as
part of the licensing policy of the Wikimedia Foundation:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Licensing_policy

This means that it is the key document by which free content will be
measured in the context of Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wikisource,
Wiktionary, Wikimedia Commons, Wikiversity, Wikiquote, Wikinews, and
Wikispecies.

More to come. ;-)

BTW, if someone could update http://freedomdefined.org/Awareness with
the latest mentions, I would much appreciate it.

We now also have Webalizer stats at:
http://freedomdefined.org/stats/

And I would really like to know why the top referrer to our website is
http://freedomdefined.org/User:Bob4 ?!
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic

Guy Johnston

Mar 27, 2007, 11:05:28 AM3/27/07
Erik Moeller wrote:
> The Definition of Free Cultural Works has been officially adopted as
> part of the licensing policy of the Wikimedia Foundation:
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Licensing_policy
>
> This means that it is the key document by which free content will be
> measured in the context of Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wikisource,
> Wiktionary, Wikimedia Commons, Wikiversity, Wikiquote, Wikinews, and
> Wikispecies.
>
> More to come. ;-)
>
> BTW, if someone could update http://freedomdefined.org/Awareness with
> the latest mentions, I would much appreciate it.
>
> We now also have Webalizer stats at:
> http://freedomdefined.org/stats/
>
> And I would really like to know why the top referrer to our website is
> http://freedomdefined.org/User:Bob4 ?!

That's excellent news.

--
Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office files - see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html.

Garrett

Mar 29, 2007, 5:11:17 AM3/29/07
to Free Cultural Works
It's now detailed on http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Upload
in English, ‪Norsk, and Chinese (Simplified), with other languages no
doubt in the works. This will help encourage more copyleft uploads,
and hopefully reduce much of the confusion about what's OK to put on
Commons. Plus, the swirly thing is much better looking than all those
dire warning boxes on EN Wikipedia... :)

The long-term consequence is that we need to be increasingly more
careful about clamping down on unnecessary fair use, and fair use
where free alternatives could be created. Wikipedia is rife with
misuse especially in entertainment articles; and cleaning it up will
not be an easy task, but one we must do regardless.

Garrett