Dry rot

Skip to the first unread message

Lol

5 Feb 2009, 05:39:5505/02/2009
Just spotted this in my roof space.
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Oddments/wassat.JPG

feeling very worried - advise, please!

Lol

Peter Andrews

5 Feb 2009, 05:50:1505/02/2009

"Lol" <l...@blueblunder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:%lzil.30507$Sp5....@text.news.virginmedia.com...

I 'think' it might just be a wasps nest.

Peter

robgraham

5 Feb 2009, 06:29:2705/02/2009

"Peter Andrews" <p.an...@blueblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Yes, it looks like a nest. Certainly not dry rot! This would be within the
joist itself, not stuck on the outside like this.

Rob Graham

Kipper at sea

5 Feb 2009, 06:55:4705/02/2009
On Feb 5, 10:39 am, "Lol" <l...@blueblunder.co.uk> wrote:
> Just spotted this in my roof space.http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Oddments/wassat.JPG

> feeling very worried - advise, please!
>
> Lol

It is deffanitly a small wasp nest. Just remove it, From the size
there sould not be any active wasps.

Lol

5 Feb 2009, 07:21:1105/02/2009

"robgraham" <rttgra...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
Many thanks to you both, vastly relieved. There have been dead wasps
appearing in the loft - but I must check and recheck ventilation in that
corner anyway - it is next to the water tank, so prone to feel damp.

Lol

Ash

5 Feb 2009, 07:34:0305/02/2009

"Lol" <l...@blueblunder.co.uk> wrote in message

Yup defiantly a wasps nest.

Had a few in my loft and no matter how many times you remove them or spray
the timbers afterwards them seem to come back overnight. The only way is to
remove all traces of the nest, if you can, and then spray the timbers around
the area with that nice spray foam to try and mask the scent. If they do
return then again, from a safe distance, spray the foam over the nest and
retreat. Keep doing this over several days to wear them down and kill them
all. Pity really because their nests (combs) are really quite artistic and
delicate - been made of wood pulp and saliva and are very light to the
touch.

Ash.

http://www.localhoney.co.uk/aboutbeespages/wasps.htm

Ash

5 Feb 2009, 07:43:1605/02/2009

"Lol" <l...@blueblunder.co.uk> wrote in message

This site may help to relieve you of worries about dry rot ... if you have
anything like this in your house ... RUN

Ash

http://www.marstontimber.co.uk/true_dry_rot_infestation.html

Martin

5 Feb 2009, 08:44:3305/02/2009

"Ash" <e...@ED.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Lol" <l...@blueblunder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Just spotted this in my roof space.
>> http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Oddments/wassat.JPG
>>
>> feeling very worried - advise, please!
>>
>> Lol
>

> Yup defiantly a wasps nest.
>
> Had a few in my loft and no matter how many times you remove them or spray
> the timbers afterwards them seem to come back overnight. The only way is
> to remove all traces of the nest, if you can, and then spray the timbers
> around the area with that nice spray foam to try and mask the scent. If
> they do return then again, from a safe distance, spray the foam over the
> nest and retreat. Keep doing this over several days to wear them down and
> kill them all.

A word of warning - although this probably doesn't apply in a loft....

We had a wasps' nest in the top corner of the garage last year, so dealt
with it from a safe distance with the foam spray stuff.

Lower down, we had a couple of old brass oil-lamps on a shelf. The foam
dripped on to these, and they turned horribly green very shortly afterwards.
Haven't tried to clean them, as we assume they're ruined (unless anyone has
some tips to the contrary...?).

So definitely worth checking for vulnerable "treasures" before squirting...!

--
Martin

Lol

5 Feb 2009, 12:40:1905/02/2009

"Ash" <e...@ED.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message

That site is clearly designed for shock horror impact rather than to be
helpful.
What would be more useful is a picture of what the very first signs look
like.

Its a worry for me, as this is an old house built c. 1895 - has a lot of old
timber

Thanks to this group for reassurance - really!

Lol

Andrew Gabriel

5 Feb 2009, 14:26:4305/02/2009
In article <7wFil.30744$Sp5....@text.news.virginmedia.com>,

"Lol" <l...@blueblunder.co.uk> writes:
> That site is clearly designed for shock horror impact rather than to be
> helpful.
> What would be more useful is a picture of what the very first signs look
> like.

The very first signs are hard to see, and I'm not too sure
what they look like.

Next you will see what looks like creeper branches growing out
from the infected timber, along surfaces in search of new timber
to feed on. They can also go through cracks in brickwork and
along behind plaster. The infected timber will shrink, crack
and crumble, as the dry rot eats the cellulose in the timber
(which is what gives timber its strength). This cracking and
shrinking is common to most fungal infections though, as they
all strip the cellulose out of timber to feed themselves.

Those pictures were the fruiting bodies, but sometimes
you don't get those at all.

> Its a worry for me, as this is an old house built c. 1895 - has a lot of old
> timber

Dry Rot is not native to the UK, and will not grow in normal
conditions of temperature and moisture found here. It comes
from the Himalayas, where it lives in damp caves on dead tree
roots which break in through the cave walls. It was carried
back here in timber boats and probably in some of the goods
they carried.

The only way it can grow here is if you manage to create a
micro climate somewhere in your building which resembles a
Himalayan cave. This will be an area with excess moisture,
and a lack of ventilation. Water leaking into an enclosed
unventilated building space is the normal cause. It can be
a micro area such as where a timber is in contact with damp
brickwork, even if the area as a whole doesn't seem damp.
So that's the sort of situation you need to avoid, and then
it can't establish itself. If it does get established, it
can spread into areas which are not so damp, as it can carry
the moisture it needs to grow through its branches (hyphae).

--
Andrew Gabriel

AJH

6 Feb 2009, 04:22:4306/02/2009
Yes it's a wasps nest. We have had two treated. Take care as angry
wasps are very aggressive, best to contact your local council who will
spray it safely with the right type of powder.This is a good time as
they will be not very active.

Ash

6 Feb 2009, 05:52:1506/02/2009

".This is a good time as
> they will be not very active.

Our council is never very active at the best of times !

Ash

Trevor Smith

6 Feb 2009, 15:44:1806/02/2009

"Ash" <e...@ED.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
It is a wasp nest, you can leave it there if you like as wasps will not
return to an old nest.
Trevor Smith

Ash

7 Feb 2009, 05:01:3907/02/2009

> It is a wasp nest, you can leave it there if you like as wasps will not
> return to an old nest.
> Trevor Smith

Sorry Trevor but the wasps will return to the old nest ... they're attracted
to the scent of the old nest ... but they wont reuse the old nest as it's
too fragile and unhygienic for the new grubs. They'll make a new nest next
to the old one. Best to remove and try and mask the scent. If you've had the
wasps for a year or two you can usually find old shells of nests close by.
Now is an ideal time to give the area a good masking with either the pray
foam wasp killer or some nice smelly creosote (if you can stand the smell of
the stuff).

Ash.

AJH

7 Feb 2009, 17:15:4107/02/2009

> Now is an ideal time to give the area a good masking with either the pray
> foam wasp killer or some nice smelly creosote (if you can stand the smell of
> the stuff).

I tried Creosote but the wasps totally ignored it. Also be careful
about using spray yourself, as dead wasps give off some type of scent
which then prompts the other wasps to attack, ok if you have got a
full protective suit, but very painful if not.

Ash

7 Feb 2009, 18:33:2707/02/2009

> I tried Creosote but the wasps totally ignored it. Also be careful
> about using spray yourself, as dead wasps give off some type of scent
> which then prompts the other wasps to attack, ok if you have got a
> full protective suit, but very painful if not.

You could always play a recording of Gordon "Slack Jaw" Brown's British
Job's for British Workers speech ... that'll make the wasps bawk and want to
retreat to a safe distance.

Trevor Smith

8 Feb 2009, 00:53:1208/02/2009

"Ash" <e...@ED.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
I didn't realize that, I have had an old little nest in my loft for about
three years so I better get rid just in case.

Trevor Smith

Ash

8 Feb 2009, 02:23:0608/02/2009
> I didn't realize that, I have had an old little nest in my loft for about
> three years so I better get rid just in case.
>
> Trevor Smith

If they haven't returned in the 3 years I don't think they'll be returning
so you should be ok .... they tend to return each year and if they don't
then chances are they've all been killed or made off with some better
looking wasp :o)

Ash

Muddymike

8 Feb 2009, 05:37:1908/02/2009

"Trevor Smith" <tr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I didn't know this either until about 6 years ago. Having left a couple of
nests in our loft the size of the one originally pictured, the next year the
little buggers built one the size of a dustbin!!! Now I always spray them
when I spot a small one.

Mike