Spinbutton Role and Screen Reader Announcements

Scott González

Mar 14, 2012, 4:24:14 PM3/14/12
to free...@googlegroups.com
According to Everett's testing of the new jQuery UI Spinner widget, JAWS announces inputs with a role of spinbutton differently than it announces native spin buttons.

Everett reported the following:

I just tested a spinner (font size) in Firefox options. When tabbing to the spinner JAWS reads: "Size combo box. To change selection use the arrow keys". This is likely a true combo and not a spinner.

You can find the full details in the bug report: http://bugs.jqueryui.com/ticket/7848

Is there anything we should be doing differently, or in addition, to improve the accessibility? JAWS is reporting the control as a spinner, so I'm inclined to say we should just leave it as is.

Scott González

Mar 14, 2012, 4:25:34 PM3/14/12
to Free ARIA Community
It's probably useful to have a link to a demo:
http://view.jqueryui.com/master/demos/spinner/default.html

Alexander Surkov

Mar 14, 2012, 4:30:05 PM3/14/12
to free...@googlegroups.com
Can you point me an URL to example I could try?
Alex.

Alexander Surkov

Mar 14, 2012, 4:35:21 PM3/14/12
to free...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks. I resent the question to FS. If we can do something useful
on Firefox side then I'd happy to do this. Let's see.
Alex.