Hanko^?

Thomas Johannsen

Feb 18, 1993, 4:06:20 AM2/18/93
In article <C2J05...@news.cis.umn.edu> mol...@i8.msi.umn.edu (Jason Molenda) writes:

> Hi everyone! I arrived in Japan just last week and I went to open
> an account with Mitsubishi-Ginko^ today. Although I was able to open
> the account with just a signature, the teller highly recommended that I
> get a hanko^ (personal stamp). At least I think that's what he said; I
> can never be too sure when it's in Japanese. :-)
>
> Any ideas where I might get something like this? I'm in the Kanto^
> area (Odakyu^, living near the Umegaoka stop working near the
> Shin-yurigaoka stop).
>
> Yoroshiku onegaisimasu ne!
> --
> Jason Molenda, Asia Regional System Administrator for Sequent, Kawasaki Japan
> DoD #1867 mol...@sequent.com GottaGetABike

Jason,

You've already got a lot of answers and I guess a hanko meanwhile, too.

Anyway, I'd like to add my $0.02.

For bank, post office, etc., ANY hanko should do (ANY meaning
katakana, kanji, given name, family name). If you, however, should
ever consider buying ``property'' like a car, you have to register
your hanko with your ward office. At that stage you can address your
hanko as inkan (please correct me anybody if I'm wrong).

For this registration, however, the hanko-imprint has to match with
your name on your Alien Registration ID Card. The card will be issued in
romaji, therefore a character match against katakana or kanji is not
successful (that's what I was told there). Therefore you will realize
that (after having bought a hanko for go sen en gurai just a few
days before ;-) you are in need of a new, romaji hanko. I'm not sure
if all hanko shops make them, though. It does not matter whether you
choose your given or family name. Just one romaji string that matches
the entry on your ID card. I choose my first name because its shorter
(and therefore the hanko smaller and less expensive).

Good luck and have a good time in Japan!

Thomas

Shintaro Inagaki

Feb 16, 1993, 10:36:18 PM2/16/93
In article <18...@adacgw.adac.co.jp> li...@adac.co.jp (Lilik Widjaja) writes:

>> - Before you go to make the hanko, you should have some kind
>> of Japanese Kanji Character that represent your name (in my
>> case I chose a Kanji Character that almost have the same
>> pronounciation as my original name).

This is a great idea;
if you introduce yourself and show your Hanko to a Japanese friend,
you can pleasantly surprise him and
he will never forget your name.
This will be a neat ice breaker;
many Japanese love such a stuff.

By the way, Widjaja-san, do you mind showing us your name in Kanji?

Shintaro
--
アンリツ(株)研究所 第3研究部 稲垣慎太郎
ina...@aclab1.resrch.anritsu.co.jp (Shintaro Inagaki)

Chammika Subasingha

Feb 22, 1993, 3:29:44 AM2/22/93
In article <ANDREAS.93...@whale.math.ryukoku.ac.jp> and...@whale.math.ryukoku.ac.jp (Andreas Knobel) writes:

AK>Right. You have got your hanko, it appears in your bankbook,
AK>on this and that contract, you cannot live without it. You lose it.
AK>What happens next?
AK>
AK>Andreas Knobel
AK>Ryukoku Daigaku
AK>Seta

It does not appear on this and that contract.It only appears where it is
needed.If you are careful then you won't lose it that easyly.And if you still
lose it,you just do what a ordinary Japenese person would do.I don't know what
they would do, because so far I haven't lost my Hanko.
In the other hand you won't get so many Katakana Hankos being used in Japan.
So just get the lost one canceled and get a new one done.

--

──────

    ┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
    ┃Chammika Subasingha            チャンミカ スバシンハ ┃
    ┃                      富士通(株)     ┃
    ┃Fujitsu Limited (JAPAN)           交換機事業部     ┃
    ┃OVERSEAS SOFTWARE DEPARTMENT III      第3ソフトウェア部  ┃
    ┃SWITCHING SYSTEM DIVISION          第3開発課      ┃
    ┃       Tel: DID 044-754-4162     ┃
    ┃            EXT    7114-7759     ┃
    ┃       Fax: DID 044-754-4232     ┃
    ┃            EXT    7114-7799     ┃
    ┃       email: cham...@kou3so.nakahara.fujitsu.co.jp    ┃
    ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Chammika Subasingha

Feb 18, 1993, 6:51:17 PM2/18/93
In article <THOMAS.93F...@beat.aic.co.jp> tho...@aic.co.jp (Thomas Johannsen) writes:

TJ>For this registration, however, the hanko-imprint has to match with
TJ>your name on your Alien Registration ID Card. The card will be issued in
TJ>romaji, therefore a character match against katakana or kanji is not
TJ>successful (that's what I was told there). Therefore you will realize
TJ>that (after having bought a hanko for go sen en gurai just a few
TJ>days before ;-) you are in need of a new, romaji hanko. I'm not sure
TJ>if all hanko shops make them, though. It does not matter whether you
TJ>choose your given or family name. Just one romaji string that matches
TJ>the entry on your ID card. I choose my first name because its shorter
TJ>(and therefore the hanko smaller and less expensive).
TJ>
TJ>Good luck and have a good time in Japan!
TJ>
TJ>Thomas

I got mine registerd without any romaji.Most of the time the people who are
doing the registration gets confused when it comes to foreigners.And also it
could be that each kuyakusho(or shiyakusho) has a different way of doing things
I got mine done at Takatsuku kuyakusho in Kawasaki city.(if it helps).

Andreas Knobel

Koji Ando

Feb 22, 1993, 2:26:33 AM2/22/93
Howdy.

In <1993Feb18.1...@gssm.otsuka.tsukuba.ac.jp>
ku...@gssm.otsuka.tsukuba.ac.jp (Yasushi Kuno) said as follows:

|Also note
|that machine-crafted Hankos (San'mon-Ban) cannot be registerd for
|apparent reason (there will exist many undistinguishabule products
|generated from the same machine.)

It's sure that a kind of Hanko made of rubber like Shati?at? cannot be
registered. But what you call San'mon-Ban that is made of wood or so
can be registered, because every San'mon-Ban is maybe a little modified
by hand.

Actually I used to do registered San'mon-Ban as Jitsuin temporarily.

--
____________________________________
安東 孝二 原子力工学専攻M2 chut...@kakunen.gen.u-tokyo.ac.jp

Rafael &

Feb 23, 1993, 1:46:36 AM2/23/93
In article <INAGAKI.93...@aclab1.resrch.anritsu.co.jp> ina...@aclab1.resrch.anritsu.co.jp (Shintaro Inagaki) writes:

[discussion about Lilik-san kanko^]

>How nice,
>you mean:
>
> 理陸
>
> or
>
> - --- |- +
> | |+| |/---
> - --- |-' '
> | + |/ +
> / --- | ---
>
>I new.
>For many Japanese, chosing Kanjis and expressing a sound is a neat word game.
>Your name should have some nice meaning as well as an appropriate sound.
>I am sure your friend has had a fun considering your Kanji name.
>In fact, last night I made a few alternatives for Mr. Molenda,
>although he already made his with Huss's help.
>I wonder what Kanji he uses.

Ok, so can I ask you all a favor ? Some people here in my lab tried to
find a kanji for my name, and get stuck on

山鳥栖

means: yama (mountain) and Tosu (a city near here - an easy guess :-)
Of course, using a computer to enter the kanjis from kanas can get
some responses as 三鳥栖, 山と洲 (I like it better) and so on...

So, if you like word games and challenges, try to get some meaningful
kanjis from this brazilian name. I will show the name in romaji, and the
correct reading in kana and romaji.

Rafael ハファエウ
Duarte ヅアルテ
Coelho コエリヨ
Santos サントス

Everybody call me Santos because it is easy to pronounce. I prefer
my first name, Rafael. I use Duarte as a "clan" name, and avoid
using Coelho as much as I can.

Just for a game, I already have a hanko^ with the Santos katakana...

Thanks,

Rafael.

Dave McLane

Feb 18, 1993, 9:19:05 PM2/18/93
li...@adac.co.jp (Lilik Widjaja) writes:

>There are some places that makes this "personal stamp", but I am not so
>sure where in your area. But, what I would like to suggest you are:

> - Before you go to make the hanko, you should have some kind
> of Japanese Kanji Character that represent your name (in my
> case I chose a Kanji Character that almost have the same
> pronounciation as my original name).

> - Have you Japanese friend wrote the character on the piece of
> paper which you will bring to the crafter. (To avoid any
> mistake in case of a very complex Kanji character).

>Price varies greatly, from 300 yen (instant hanko "ready to use") to
>10000 (beautifully crafted). Average is 1000-3000 yen.

I've heard that some places don't take kanji for non-Japanese names
so you might want to check it out with the particular place you want
to use it before you get one.

In my case, my signature was good for everything (cash card account,
driver's license, taxes, etc.) until I went to get a 'commericial'
(non-cash card) account when they wanted a inkan.

I tried to use the one I had made in Taipei but it wasn't accepted
so I had one made with katakana. Before I could use it a friend had
a look and said, "How ugly!" and made me one with three kanji's that
read 'ma' 'ku' 'ren' whose meaning is something like "Truth a long
time seeking". It's always been accepted but not without a lot of
laughter and comment :-)

Dave

--
Dave McLane
JUNET: dav...@aegis.or.jp

BROWN Gary

Feb 17, 1993, 1:41:48 AM2/17/93

Just a brief comment regarding Lilik's recommendation:

In article <18...@adacgw.adac.co.jp> li...@adac.co.jp (Lilik Widjaja) writes:

|There are some places that makes this "personal stamp", but I am not so
|sure where in your area. But, what I would like to suggest you are:
|
| - Before you go to make the hanko, you should have some kind
| of Japanese Kanji Character that represent your name (in my
| case I chose a Kanji Character that almost have the same
| pronounciation as my original name).
|
| - Have you Japanese friend wrote the character on the piece of
| paper which you will bring to the crafter. (To avoid any
| mistake in case of a very complex Kanji character).

You don't need kanji for our name to get a hanko, though some
people make up kanji to fit their name.

Because everyone writes my name as "bu-ra-u-n", I thought
it would be appropriate to get a hanko that said "bu-ra-u-n",
and a man carved a nice one in beautiful katakana (that looks
as intricate as kanji) for about 4000 yen.

I would suggest using whatever characters you always use.
A hanko shop can make either kanji or katakana or hiragana...
(Even Russian if the owner can carve russian characters!)

Gary

--------------
Gary Brown MATSUSHITA ELECTRIC INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD.
br...@vdrl.src.mei.co.jp

Yasushi Kuno

Feb 18, 1993, 9:13:47 AM2/18/93
p-...@blacklabel.Japan.Sun.COM (Kevin Parrington - Nihon Sun Logistics) writes:

> Just to add my two cents to this thread...

So am I.

> Unless I'm mistaken, are these honkos of ours "legally
> binding", don't we have to register them with the
> shiakusho or kensho for them to be "legal" ???????

Yes and no. Registered Hanko is called "Jitsu-In" while
non-registered ones are called "Mitome-In." Banks do not require
Jitsu-In, but you'll need one when you buy house or such. Also note

that machine-crafted Hankos (San'mon-Ban) cannot be registerd for
apparent reason (there will exist many undistinguishabule products
generated from the same machine.)

Yasushi Kuno

Lilik Widjaja

Feb 17, 1993, 6:03:44 AM2/17/93

> You don't need kanji for our name to get a hanko, though some
> people make up kanji to fit their name.
>
> Because everyone writes my name as "bu-ra-u-n", I thought
> it would be appropriate to get a hanko that said "bu-ra-u-n",
> and a man carved a nice one in beautiful katakana (that looks
> as intricate as kanji) for about 4000 yen.

Yup, Gary is absolutely correct. It is just as a matter of personal
taste. At the end, Gary's hanko character looks as intricate as kanji.

Lilik

Lilik Widjaja

Feb 18, 1993, 7:24:22 PM2/18/93

From article <INAGAKI.93...@aclab1.resrch.anritsu.co.jp>
by ina...@aclab1.resrch.anritsu.co.jp (Shintaro Inagaki)

I wrote>>My first name is Lilik, and in Japanized version is ri-ri-ku.
I wrote>>So, my friend decided to split the name as ri-riku and selected the kanji
I wrote>>representation for ri = "law" or "rules of nature" (12 stroke of kanji)
I wrote>> riku = "land" (10 stroke of kanji)
Shintaro> How nice,
Shintaro> you mean:
Shintaro>
Shintaro> 理陸
Shintaro>
Shintaro> or
Shintaro>
Shintaro> - --- |- +
Shintaro> | |+| |/---
Shintaro> - --- |-' '
Shintaro> | + |/ +
Shintaro> / --- | ---
Shintaro>
Shintaro> (though, Ri has 11 stokes.)
Yes, this is the one ---^, ha ha ha yes 11 strokes, my fault :(.

Lilik.
(e-mail: li...@adac.co.jp)

Kevin Parrington - Nihon Sun Logistics

Feb 23, 1993, 11:01:40 PM2/23/93
To all......

I had an enjoyable meeting with Inagaki-san last Friday
over dinner and sake here in Atsugi. True we are all posting
from different points of the island but some of our points
might be close.

I propose a meeting of any and all of you in the TYO area
be you a poster to or reader of this group. I think it would
be interesting to meet the people behind the postings that
we are reading.

I have no idea of when or where. If you are interested
please feel free to e-mail me and provide good days/times
bad days/times and suggestions of a place to meet. I will
organize a target date/time/place and reply to those interested.

The more the merrier...

kp
kevin.pa...@japan.sun.com

Jason Molenda

Feb 19, 1993, 2:47:33 AM2/19/93
ina...@aclab1.resrch.anritsu.co.jp (Shintaro Inagaki) writes:

>In fact, last night I made a few alternatives for Mr. Molenda,
>although he already made his with Huss's help.
>I wonder what Kanji he uses.

I the one I ordered has three kanji spelling out 'ji-ei-son'. I'm
not on a terminal that can compose kanji right now (although reading
it isn't a problem); the kanji I used were

jibun no ji ('self')
eiga no ei ('light'??)
mura ('village')

(all my co-workers laughed when they saw this)

After hearing all the suggestions in this group, I may go get a
katakana one hand crafted. I had originally not wanted to do katakana
because I figured it would look really ugly. I will be stuck with
whatever I decide for several years so I don't mind getting another one
to find one I like. I'll let everyone know how the department store one
looks when it is finished.

Kevin Parrington - Nihon Sun Logistics

Feb 23, 1993, 10:43:40 PM2/23/93
>Right. You have got your hanko, it appears in your bankbook,
>on this and that contract, you cannot live without it. You lose it.
>What happens next?

Simple, you go through the whole process of getting
a honko again. The next time you're ar the bank, etc
etc, etc, you inform them that you've got a new honko.

kp

Jason Molenda

BROWN Gary

Feb 16, 1993, 4:32:49 AM2/16/93

I may be slightly mistaken about something, but from my experience here
so far (a year and 5 months) here's what I've learned:

Depending on how long you plan to be in this country, you will either
want a generic hanko with your name in standard katakana characters,
or have a Hanko shopkeeper carve a unique one for you.

The Hanko shops are noticeable by the large rotating boxes of hankos
sitting outside the entrances. Any local hanko shopkeeper can make
one for about 3000-5000 yen I think. If you work for a large
company here, however, they will usually issue two hankos to you.

The hanko is used as your signature at the bank, and an imprint of
it appears in your bankbook. For me, every transaction I make
(except for using my cashing machine card at a cashing machine)
requires my hanko imprint on a transaction form.

I would suggest asking someone you know with experience here, referring
to books at the closest English bookstore if there is one, or
talking to someone at the shiyakusho (city office) or immigration office
for more help about getting settled.

Congratulations on surviving your first week in the world's largest
fishbowl!

Shintaro Inagaki

Feb 18, 1993, 3:58:14 AM2/18/93
In article <18...@adacgw.adac.co.jp> li...@adac.co.jp (Lilik Widjaja) writes:

>>My first name is Lilik, and in Japanized version is ri-ri-ku.
>>So, my friend decided to split the name as ri-riku and selected the kanji
>>representation for ri = "law" or "rules of nature" (12 stroke of kanji)
>> riku = "land" (10 stroke of kanji)
How nice,
you mean:

理陸

or

- --- |- +
| |+| |/---
- --- |-' '
| + |/ +
/ --- | ---

(though, Ri has 11 stokes.)

>>Yes, my colleagues here love it!

I new.
For many Japanese, chosing Kanjis and expressing a sound is a neat word game.
Your name should have some nice meaning as well as an appropriate sound.
I am sure your friend has had a fun considering your Kanji name.

In fact, last night I made a few alternatives for Mr. Molenda,
although he already made his with Huss's help.
I wonder what Kanji he uses.

>>Kind Regards,

My best to you

Lilik Widjaja

Feb 17, 1993, 7:45:30 PM2/17/93

Shintaro-san wrote:
> This is a great idea;
> if you introduce yourself and show your Hanko to a Japanese friend,
> you can pleasantly surprise him and
> he will never forget your name.
> This will be a neat ice breaker;
> many Japanese love such a stuff.
>
> By the way, Widjaja-san, do you mind showing us your name in Kanji?

My pleasure. I use my first name (uncommon usage of name in Japan) since
many people that I met had a trouble in pronouncing my last name.

My first name is Lilik, and in Japanized version is ri-ri-ku.
So, my friend decided to split the name as ri-riku and selected the kanji
representation for ri = "law" or "rules of nature" (12 stroke of kanji)
riku = "land" (10 stroke of kanji)

I am sorry I could not display the character since my terminal does not
support kanji char.

Yes, my colleagues here love it!

Kind Regards,
Lilik

Chammika Subasingha

Feb 18, 1993, 12:11:17 AM2/18/93

KP> Unless I'm mistaken, are these honkos of ours "legally
KP> binding", don't we have to register them with the
KP> shiakusho or kensho for them to be "legal" ???????
KP>
KP>kp
As far as I know,You only need a legalized Hanko "jitsuin" when you buy a
car of house and in other few occasions(sorry I too am not exactly sure what
kind of occasions).Other than that you can use any Hanko.For the past 4 years
which I have been in Japan I didn't need a "jitsuin".One of my frinds bought a
without a "jitsuin".He only had a very simple Hanko on which his name was
written in katakana.Which cost only about 1000 yen.
If you want to get the Hanko legalized,it is very easy.Infact I got my Hanko
whic is in katakana, registerd in abut half an hour at the "Kuyakusho".It seems
like that there is now law saying that the Hanko must be in Chinese characters.
Only that it can't have any thing related to your job in it.
For an example if your are workin at company ABC.You can't have ABC included
in our Hanko.(Please correct me if I am wrong).
And also you can get married at Shiyakusho without a "jitsuin".

Kevin Parrington - Nihon Sun Logistics

Feb 17, 1993, 11:11:31 PM2/17/93

Just to add my two cents to this thread...

I had my honko made in China years ago using my initials
(KP). It works fine for the bank and everyone else
who has asked for my "honko". Since "most people" know
that non-Japanese do not use honkos they`ll usually ask
for a signature too, at least this has been the case with me,
maybe I just don't have a trusting face ?? *:^)

Unless I'm mistaken, are these honkos of ours "legally

binding", don't we have to register them with the

shiakusho or kensho for them to be "legal" ???????

kp

Jason Molenda

Feb 16, 1993, 11:21:24 PM2/16/93
Thanks for the ideas! I happen to work across from a department store, so
I dropped by there as it required the least work (as suggested by Claude
Hess). For Y1,500 they're ordering one for me with my name phonetically
represented in kanji.

Thanks for all the good wishes, too. I'm having an absolutely wonderful
time here in Japan (only been here one week ;). I will probably be here
a few years; I just started a job with an American company which has an
office in Kawasaki (Shinyurigaoka on the Odakyu^ line).

Lilik Widjaja

Feb 16, 1993, 4:25:23 AM2/16/93
> an account with Mitsubishi-Ginko^ today.
Welcome!!

> Although I was able to open
> the account with just a signature, the teller highly recommended that I
> get a hanko^ (personal stamp). At least I think that's what he said; I
> can never be too sure when it's in Japanese. :-)

hanko = inkan

> Any ideas where I might get something like this? I'm in the Kanto^
> area (Odakyu^, living near the Umegaoka stop working near the
> Shin-yurigaoka stop).

There are some places that makes this "personal stamp", but I am not so
sure where in your area. But, what I would like to suggest you are:

- Before you go to make the hanko, you should have some kind
of Japanese Kanji Character that represent your name (in my
case I chose a Kanji Character that almost have the same
pronounciation as my original name).

- Have you Japanese friend wrote the character on the piece of
paper which you will bring to the crafter. (To avoid any
mistake in case of a very complex Kanji character).

Price varies greatly, from 300 yen (instant hanko "ready to use") to

10000 (beautifully crafted). Average is 1000-3000 yen.

I hope this helps a little.

Have a great fun while you are in Japan.
Best regards,
Lilik Widjaja (e-mail: li...@adac.co.jp)