Firebug Lite not working in IE7

sqwerl

Oct 13, 2011, 10:59:54 AM10/13/11
to Firebug
I'm aware of the post on firebug lite not working in IE versions older
than 9

http://blog.getfirebug.com/2011/09/23/firebug-lite-1-4/#respond

so it is a big debugging nightmare for me since I've come to depend
on it for css help in IE 7 (IE8 firebug lite seems to work fine).
Others seem to be having similar problems

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7532909/firebug-lite-messagequeue-null

Please help with this as soon as you have a chance. Thanks

Pedro Simonetti Garcia

Oct 13, 2011, 11:12:46 AM10/13/11
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

2011/10/13 sqwerl <wyoun...@gmail.com>

I'm aware of the post on firebug lite not working in IE versions older
than 9

http://blog.getfirebug.com/2011/09/23/firebug-lite-1-4/#respond

Note that what is not working in IE versions older than 9 are two test cases from our unit tests. It should work fine in all IE versions as far as I know. If it is not working, then it is a bug.

 so it is a big debugging nightmare for me since I've come to depend
on it for css help in IE 7 (IE8 firebug lite seems to work fine).
Others seem to be having similar problems

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7532909/firebug-lite-messagequeue-null

Please help with this as soon as you have a chance. Thanks

I can only investigate an issue if I'm able to reproduce. In order to do so I need you to open an issue report with a test case attached.

http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/entry

A test case is just a simple HTML file exemplifying the occurrence of the problem. In your case the test case will probably include the "jquery.ui.all.css" file. Just zip a directory with everything you need to run the test case and attach it to the issue report.

Are you calling any of the console functions like console.log()? The "messageQueue" is used to store console messages that happen before Firebug Lite UI finishes to load.

regards,

Pedro Simonetti.

Pedro Simonetti Garcia

Oct 13, 2011, 11:14:13 AM10/13/11
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Also note that you can load older versions of Firebug Lite while this issue is not fixed. Just load this script instead:

https://getfirebug.com/releases/lite/1.3/firebug-lite.js

Pedro Simonetti.

sqwerl

Oct 13, 2011, 2:18:23 PM10/13/11
to Firebug
Test it on this page and you should get the same error I'm getting.
Running the Firebug Lite 1.4 script on this firebug google groups page
itself results in the same error described above. But if you still
insist on me filing a bug report then so be it.

On Oct 13, 10:12 am, Pedro Simonetti Garcia <pedrosimone...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2011/10/13 sqwerl <wyoung1...@gmail.com>
>
> > I'm aware of the post on firebug lite not working in IE versions older
> > than 9
>
> >http://blog.getfirebug.com/2011/09/23/firebug-lite-1-4/#respond
>
> Note that what is not working in IE versions older than 9 are two test cases
> from our unit tests. It should work fine in all IE versions as far as I
> know. If it is not working, then it is a bug.
>
> >  so it is a big debugging nightmare for me since I've come to depend
> > on it for css help in IE 7 (IE8 firebug lite seems to work fine).
> > Others seem to be having similar problems
>
> >http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7532909/firebug-lite-messagequeue-...
>
> > Please help with this as soon as you have a chance. Thanks
>
> I can only investigate an issue if I'm able to reproduce. In order to do so
> I need you to open an issue report with a test case attached.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/entry
>
> A test case is just a simple HTML file exemplifying the occurrence of the
> problem. In your case the test case will probably include the
> "jquery.ui.all.css" file. Just zip a directory with everything you need to
> run the test case and attach it to the issue report.
>
> Are you calling any of the console functions like console.log()? The
> "messageQueue" is used to store console messages that happen before Firebug
> Lite UI finishes to load.
>
> regards,
>
> Pedro Simonetti.

Pedro Simonetti Garcia

Oct 13, 2011, 4:07:26 PM10/13/11
to fir...@googlegroups.com

2011/10/13 sqwerl <wyoun...@gmail.com>

Test it on this page and you should get the same error I'm getting.
Running the Firebug Lite 1.4 script on this firebug google groups page
itself results in the same error described above.

I don't see the same error as explained in stackoverflow. I don't see the error message "this.messageQueue is null or not an object".

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7532909/firebug-lite-messagequeue-null

What I do see is the long running script message instead. Some people have complained in the past about this long running script message but no one so far pointed out a test case. While the google groups page you pointed out is a valid test case for the long running script problem, that is, is shows that the page is freezing for a long time, it is not an optimal test case because:

1) it is not a "simplified" version of the problem so it contains lots of things that might distract us from detecting how to solve this problem
2) once it is an external URL, we cannot change/adjust the test case, which makes things harder for us
3) once it is an external URL, it also cannot be included in our unit test suite

But if you still
insist on me filing a bug report then so be it.

Yes, a test case would make our life easier, and hopefully make solving this problem easier too. I'm not insisting though, I'm just asking for test case, and I'm doing that because it does make a huge difference having one.

Pedro Simonetti.

sqwerl

Oct 13, 2011, 4:25:32 PM10/13/11
to Firebug
All you have to do is choose 'No' when asked 'Stop running this
script?' and you should then see the same error. It really isn't that
difficult.

It isn't a trivial matter for me to create html and css to reproduce
the problem. Can you give me more tips on how to do this?
The comment about it probably including "jquery.ui.all.css" isn't
correct as I'm not using jqueryUI on the site with the problem only
jquery.js v1.4.4. Actually, another site of mine is using jqueryUI
v1.8.7 and Firebug Lite works fine.

On Oct 13, 3:07 pm, Pedro Simonetti Garcia <pedrosimone...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> 2011/10/13 sqwerl <wyoung1...@gmail.com>
>
> > Test it on this page and you should get the same error I'm getting.
> > Running the Firebug Lite 1.4 script on this firebug google groups page
> > itself results in the same error described above.
>
> I don't see the same error as explained in stackoverflow. I don't see the
> error message "this.messageQueue is null or not an object".
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7532909/firebug-lite-messagequeue-...

Pedro Simonetti Garcia

Oct 13, 2011, 4:50:20 PM10/13/11
to fir...@googlegroups.com

2011/10/13 sqwerl <wyoun...@gmail.com>

All you have to do is choose 'No' when asked 'Stop running this
script?' and you should then see the same error. It really isn't that
difficult.

Yes I did that but I saw no error. Firebug Lite in fact was not loaded indicating that something wrong happened, but I could not figure out what. And yes, I have that "show notification about every error" option checked.

For the record, I'm running IE7 in a virtual machine.

It isn't a trivial matter for me to create html and css to reproduce
the problem. Can you give me more tips on how to do this?

Start with your app that is failing and start removing things until you get the smallest app possible that is failing. Remove unnecessary images, scripts and stylesheets, and reduce the size of the HTML.

The comment about it probably including "jquery.ui.all.css" isn't
correct as I'm not using jqueryUI on the site with the problem only
jquery.js v1.4.4.  Actually, another site of mine is using jqueryUI
v1.8.7 and Firebug Lite works fine.

Which exact error message are you seeing? That one about messageQueue?

Which line number it points out?

Which exact version of Firebug Lite are you using?

Is your app doing console calls in a script placed at the <head> of you document?

Are you using "advanced" CSS goodness such as @import, @media, or any other thing that is not the basic stuff? If so, please describe.

If you answer these question maybe I'll have more information to guide you to create a test case.

Pedro Simonetti.

Pedro Simonetti Garcia

Oct 13, 2011, 5:10:42 PM10/13/11
to fir...@googlegroups.com
2011/10/13 Pedro Simonetti Garcia <pedrosi...@gmail.com>
2011/10/13 sqwerl <wyoun...@gmail.com>
All you have to do is choose 'No' when asked 'Stop running this
script?' and you should then see the same error. It really isn't that
difficult.

Yes I did that but I saw no error. Firebug Lite in fact was not loaded indicating that something wrong happened, but I could not figure out what. And yes, I have that "show notification about every error" option checked.

I tried again and was able to see that error message you mentioned. The problem is that I had the "disable script debugging" option UNchecked. I guess this option was automatically set by the MS Visual Web Developer Express.

For the record, I'm running IE7 in a virtual machine.

To make things a little bit harder, I'm not able to run a script debugger in my IE7 installation. I'm using a Virtual PC image provided by MS which uses Windows Vista, which is not compatible with the not-so-good-old MS Script Debugger. And MS Visual Web Developer Express does not work.

I did some more testing and I discovered that using the Debug channel will work:

http://getfirebug.com/firebuglite#Debug

The strange thing is that the Debug channel is the same as the Stable channel, but uncompressed, which leads me to think that this error is caused by the compression, but I'm not exactly sure about it.

Anyway, please answer the questions I asked in my last message because it might help me understand what is going on.

Pedro Simonetti.

sqwerl

Oct 13, 2011, 5:14:51 PM10/13/11
to Firebug
I'm actually running Windows 7 on my physical box and XP with IE7 in a
virtual machine (Windows Virtual PC)

I'm using the newest 'Stable' bookmarklet of Firebug Lite.

The error message I'm seeing is the exact message described in the
stack overflow link: 'Line: 8180, Char: 7, Error: 'this.messageQueue'
is null or not an object, Code: 0, URL: ...

an @media advanced css tag seems to be the problem. When I remove this
css from my style sheet Firebug Lite works fine.

@media only screen and (max-width: 800px)
{
}

I can zip the css file with the problem code and submit it but I don't
know if it will help by itself. I'm using asp.net master pages and
another css file is using the @media hint which isn't causing a
problem.

On Oct 13, 3:50 pm, Pedro Simonetti Garcia <pedrosimone...@gmail.com>

Pedro Simonetti Garcia

Oct 13, 2011, 6:14:54 PM10/13/11
to fir...@googlegroups.com
We're getting there!

2011/10/13 sqwerl <wyoun...@gmail.com>

an @media advanced css tag seems to be the problem. When I remove this
css from my style sheet Firebug Lite works fine.

@media only screen and (max-width: 800px)
{
}

Please try doing this:

1) Pick this HTML file as a starting point:
http://fbug.googlecode.com/svn/lite/branches/firebug1.4/tests/content/template/issueXXXX.html

2) Create a stylesheet with just 3 rules: the first is the @media one, the second a rule inside the @media, and the third one another simple rule outside the @media

3) Include this stylesheet using a <link> tag after this one:
<link href="../../fbtest/fbtest.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"/>

4) Comment out the script tags in the HTML page (don't remove them)

5) Include a script tag linking to Firebug Lite in getfirebug.com at the <head> of the page, right below this line:

6) Confirm that you see the same problem

7) If you see that same error, you got a test case! Now just open an issue report, zip both HTML and CSS files, and attach it there. By doing this, you are helping us to prevent this error happening again in the future!

I think I know what is happening, and the problem is in the FBTrace module, which is Firebug Lite's internal logging library. The problem is that FBTrace is not initialized when running the Stable channel and/or when you have the option "enableTrace" set to false (which is the default).

Meanwhile, you can avoid this problem by loading the Debug channel, or manually setting the "enableTrace" to true. More info about how to set options is located here:

http://getfirebug.com/firebuglite#Options

Thanks for taking your time to help me understand what is going on.

Pedro Simonetti.

sqwerl

Oct 14, 2011, 10:34:59 AM10/14/11
to Firebug
Just to update you while I'm trying to assemble a test case but the
Debug channel results in the same error message on a different line:

Line: 30906
Char: 9
Error: 'this.messageQueue' is null or not an object

Also, when I comment out the code causing the problem so I can get
Firebug Lite to appear, but leave the @media css that doesn't cause
the Firebug Lite error, Firebug Lite appears to indicate that the
style within the @media block is being applied even though IE7 doesn't
recognize @media blocks.

Ex:

@media only screen and (max-width: 800px)
{
body
{
display: none;
}
}

In Firebug Lite, I can inspect the body element and it appears to have
the display:none; attribute set but the body is actually visible so in
fact the style isn't being applied, just seeming that it is in Firebug
Lite.