XCode 'Indexing'

Randy

May 10, 2011, 12:40:53 PM5/10/11
to firebreath-dev
A co-worker and myself are experiencing a very serious issue while
attempting to developing a plug-in with FireBreath. As soon as the IDE
reads 'Indexing' the system resources are drained and comes down to a
crawl, only to lock up completely a short time later. I HAVE to close
down and restart XCode every single time I attempt to build, or the
moment it begins to lag (when coding) which gives a very brief period
in which I can make modifications. This is a nightmare!

I am running a MAC Pro Intel, with 2x dual core 2.66's, 5GB 667, and
am upgrading to 12GB later this week.
He's running one of the new mac mini's with 8GB ram.

Might I note that he uses XCode very frequently, including very large
IPad projects. I'm new to XCode however I have never experienced
problems with this system. It feels as if I'm back in 1995 on a 200mhz
PC =(

I have been unable to determine an option to disable 'Indexing' in the
IDE... I don't care about all of the cool nifty IDE features, I just
want to continue with the project! Any suggestions or fixes would be
GREATLY appreciated! We are in a rush to get this project ported to
FireBreath, to begin development with new hardware which is arriving
next week!

Otherwise great work! This is an amazing piece of software.

Richard Bateman

May 10, 2011, 12:43:20 PM5/10/11
to firebre...@googlegroups.com

That's really strange; what version of XCode are you using? I use XCode on several different machines every day -- at least one of which has less impressive specs than you have -- and I've never seen that issue :-/

Also, anything unusual you're doing with the prep scripts / configuration?

Richard

Neil Griffiths

May 10, 2011, 12:57:34 PM5/10/11
to firebre...@googlegroups.com
What version of Xcode (minor niggle: it's Xcode and not XCode) are you both using? I've been using 3.2.x for months without seeing that problem. Not that me saying that helps, I just wanted to say that it's nothing obvious. Oh, wait, what version of CMake are you using as well?

Neil

Randy Girard

May 10, 2011, 1:01:05 PM5/10/11
to firebre...@googlegroups.com
I am currently using Xcode 4.0.2 (Not XCode, correction noted lol)
cmake is 2.8.4

I have not modified anything, and kept structures the website recommends.
Boost goes in src/3rd party,
python script
prepmac.sh

Before I began porting our project in, I did a lot of playing and
testing with FireBreath to get a basic understanding of the framework.
The problems began immediately, and it was extremely bad (system was
usually unresponsive) until I began closing it down frequently.

I believe the following link is for an older version of Xcode... I have
been unable to locate the 'Enable Indexing' checkbox.
http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.19/19.11/XcodeandCodeCompletion/index.html
"Your very first course of action is to make sure the Enable Indexing
checkbox is checked. The Enable Indexing checkbox tells Xcode to
constantly index your project in the background as changes are made. An
updated index is what makes project searches so lightning quick. Since
the index is maintained in the background, the overhead is hardly
noticeable. If you turn indexing off, code completion, search, and
anything else that depends on the index will slow considerably.
Alternatively, if you have a very large project that was never indexed,
you might not want to turn on indexing if you just have a few small
changes to make. No sense waiting for the index to be built if you won't
be taking advantage of it. In general, I always start off with indexing
turned on."

I want to trash Xcode 4, and revert to Xcode 3.x (which was previously
installed, but my co-worker said that I needed 4 because he uses it, grrr)

Randy

May 10, 2011, 1:04:48 PM5/10/11
to firebreath-dev
Apparently, XCode 4 doesn't allow you to disable this. I am definitely
not very happy with Apply right now!

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5392139/how-to-disable-indexing-in-xcode-4

Neil Griffiths

May 10, 2011, 1:27:40 PM5/10/11
to firebre...@googlegroups.com
Yep, sadly it does sound like it's Xcode 4. Hmm. This makes me wonder if I shouldn't be so eager to upgrade!

Other than switching to Xcode 3.2.x - I'm not sure what I can suggest. :(

Neil

Randy Girard

May 10, 2011, 1:36:04 PM5/10/11
to firebre...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, guess I'll have to go with that. I just found a 3.2.3 install on another system and am transfering it over now.

Richard Bateman

May 10, 2011, 1:37:23 PM5/10/11
to firebre...@googlegroups.com

Yeah; I haven't used Xcode 4 either; I find Xcode 3 to be much more stable so far; I haven't even tried building FireBreath on Xcode 4 yet.  I will once things stabilize a bit.

Richard

Randy

May 12, 2011, 5:44:56 PM5/12/11
to firebreath-dev
Update: I've upgraded to 12GB ram. Xcode now runs smooth.

While indexing, the max I've seen it reach is 5.04GB, then it drops
back down when finished.

Georgi Kostov

Jul 7, 2011, 12:11:51 PM7/7/11
to firebre...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone managed to resolve the Xcode 4 "Indexing" problem?

Randy Girard

Jul 7, 2011, 12:24:18 PM7/7/11
On 7/7/11 9:11 AM, Georgi Kostov wrote:
Has anyone managed to resolve the Xcode 4 "Indexing" problem?

I upgraded to 12 GB of ram, lol! Although it will still boggle down my system at times, it runs much better.
Downgrade to Xcode 3.x.
Also, I will usually restart Xcode4 before building.

We should write apple and complain!

Dmitry Chichkov

Aug 11, 2011, 10:42:35 PM8/11/11
to firebre...@googlegroups.com
$ defaults write com.apple.dt.XCode IDEIndexDisable 1

Or better, just trash Xcode 4 and use some normal development environment and xcodebuild from the CLI...

Richard Bateman

Aug 12, 2011, 1:26:53 AM8/12/11
to firebre...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the tip; would you mind adding that to the wiki on the debugging page?

Richard