Join the Discussion

1 view

Google Fiber

Jul 21, 2010, 5:40:49 PM7/21/10
to Fiber For Communities
Hi Fiber For Communities,

I would love to open up our discussion asking people what they think
they could do with a Gigabit of Speed. Let us know today!

Google Fiber

Michael

Aug 11, 2010, 6:07:48 PM8/11/10
to Fiber For Communities
Go Grand Rapids! :)

Alissa

Aug 16, 2010, 10:25:00 AM8/16/10
to Fiber For Communities
We've got big plans for using fiber in Topeka! One area of immediate
interest for us is research. There's already a lot of world-class
research being done across a variety of verticals in our community,
and having access to process and share that research even quicker
would elevate that research to the next level. From clinical research
for diabetes treatments and heart health to gamma ray research for
NASA, and construction materials research in the transportation
industry to genetic mapping in animals and the biosciences field,
we've got professionals in the Topeka community testing and coming up
with better solutions for the future. Another great example of the
ways Topekan's are utilizing technology to make the future better for
everyone, is the work that the State of Kansas is doing to make e-
democracy a reality, so that people of all ages can easily access
current legislation online as it's being considered.

I look forward to hearing what other ways communities are planning to
utilize the benefits of Google Fiber!

@AlissaSheley

lance ahern

Aug 24, 2010, 2:10:18 PM8/24/10
to Fiber For Communities
We have a lot of plans in Anchorage, but Google Fiber for Communities
would really help us advance our plan for a broadband wireless
community network. Our project created a very complete GIS for
Anchorage (www.googifiak.com/content/gis) which is the basis for
developing our wireless application (www.googifiak.com/content/
applications/wireless). The GIS was used to create a RF propagation
study of a potential downtown wireless network. One of our KMZ's
includes 2.4 and 5.8 Ghz predictive propagation coverage with terrain
and building clutter analysis. Another KMZ includes city-wide fiber,
buildings, and potential network mounting locations including street
lights, utility poles, cell towers, traffic signals and bus stops. The
last KMZ depicts the different types of political, residential,
commercial and industrial zones available, in order to help expedite
network planning and execution.

We look forward to developing broadband wireless - and all of the
applications documented on our proposal site - ASAP.

Lance

Joe Cheray

Aug 25, 2010, 2:54:36 PM8/25/10
to Fiber For Communities
I would like to give my input on this as an independent blogger in
Topeka Kansas.

I have a MyTouch 3g Android phone I use to take video with. I use it
almost exclusively when capturing video for my blog. The problem that
I face currently with the current speed I have which is 6 mbs is that
it can take an hour for 30 min of coverage to upload to Vimeo which is
the only video sharing site I have found that accepts 3ggp video
format right off the Android ph. If I had 1 gig of fiber at my
disposal that upload time would take less than 5 minutes. Thus being
able to scoop stories faster and deliver more consistent and faster
delivery of stories that also have video coverage.

Yes I am a self professed Android fan girl yes I am proud of it. With
1 gig of fiber it would make mobile blogging swifter to execute. I
also have the WP app on my phone and I have noticed that it takes a
few minutes to post to my blog when I blog from my phone so with the
faster speed it would be like injecting speed into the mobile blogging
process.

Faster internet city wide would also mean that it would be faster to
connect to the various open Wi Fi hot spots within our city. It would
make grabbing a signal and keeping a signal a lot less mind numbing.
Great for being able to more effectively monitor my blogs comments and
stats via my phone. Oh and no more dead spots because Topeka would be
on a level playing field city wide.

Now from a parent stand point my son has an X Box 360 and it often
takes several minutes for him to download even just a demo version of
a game with 1 gig it would be instantaneous.

From a consumer stand point I get free internet through my complex and
our cable provider is Cox cable. They use a digital signal to transmit
their programming through and when it rains or snows heavy that
digital signal gets thrown out of whack because moisture gets into the
wires. With fiber optics there would never be a problem with the
transmission of data during in-climate weather. Especially during
weather that produces heavy amounts of moisture. I get my internet
through ATT but the highest speed available is 6 mbs which again is ok
I pay cheaper through ATT then I would with Cox at that rate.

Google Fiber

Aug 25, 2010, 3:03:41 PM8/25/10
to Fiber For Communities
Thanks all! Keep the ideas rolling!

Mike

Sep 7, 2010, 1:54:39 AM9/7/10
to Fiber For Communities
With 2 nationally recognized training hospitals, 1 on-site university
and several other university/juco attendance centers, 1 private and 4
public local school districts, 3 regional broadcast news agencies, a
city and county public library, and city, county, and state government
offices located in Topeka, the opportunities to use a gig network are
practically endless. The distance learning opportunities both offered
through our schools and in our schools from distant locales are
growing each year, and main restrictions center around bandwidth.
Even the programs currently offered by our schools, libraries, and
government are only as available as the bandwidth to individual
homes. My current broadband received via cable is good, though
somewhat pricey, a number of folks I work with still struggle with
dial up connections. On good days my kids can access video from
around the world while researching homework, but many of their
classmates are limited to research from school or from the limited
supply of public computers around the city. With access to a city-
wide gig network at affordable prices, the number of connected
Topekans would skyrocket. The interest Google has sparked in Topeka
is proof that we've got a lot of folks who are still waiting to
experience the power of connectivity.

Dan

Sep 15, 2010, 1:43:44 AM9/15/10
to Fiber For Communities
What could I do with a gigabit of speed? It's almost the wrong
question - what couldn't I do with a gigabit of speed? Gigabit fiber
would mean a transformation in on-line interaction. Imagine not being
hindered by type or volume of information you want to publish,
receive, watch, send, collaborate over...

- Software as a service and other "cloud" services with virtually no
limit on bandwidth.
- collaborative video editing / professional quality video and
audio production & publishing from any gig connection.
- research computing with no need to set up a data center.
- distributed rendering of video, animation, etc. with little
delay due to throughput.
- folding@home type projects with higher data requirements, like
image analysis.
- I'd barely need a computer - I could rent one (or a hundred)
powerful enough to do whatever is needed for pennies an hour and
control them remotely.

- Existing web sites/services on steroids
- 1080p HD video from YouTube, Netflix, Hulu... to all of your
computers and TVs at once.
- rent/buy blu-ray quality movies and download in seconds.
- video/audio conference rooms with lots of participants, no lag,
and no dedicated server.
- work from home with the same speed and security as in the
office.
- on-line shopping with huge product photos, videos, interactive
demos
- on-line sales with the same advantages as above from a home
office

That's just off the top of my head - imagine what all the
entrepreneurs in an area could come up with given a year. The low
cost of bandwidth would also serve as encouragement for many start-ups
to locate themselves there. An area with pervasive gigabit internet
connections would have a serious economic advantage. Maybe if it
doesn't come to my home town I'll change my home town.

Regards,

Dan
St. Louis, MO

Steven Ley

Sep 15, 2010, 1:01:47 PM9/15/10
to Fiber For Communities
Speaking on behalf of a music, arts & culture institution, KDHX
Community Media (http://www.kdhx.org), I can say with certainty that
Google Fiber in our community would actually change our business
model. We're presently in the process of moving the home of our
television, radio, and filmmaking operations to Grand Center, a
central neighborhood of St. Louis that is home to over a dozen arts
organizations, with more on the way. It is home to theaters, an opera,
a symphony, a jazz club, a black theater company, art galleries,
museums, public television, a top-notch university, and soon two
public radio stations.

The ability for this neighborhood to be connected by fiber to the
wider St. Louis region can completely change the way people are
connected to the arts. In our case, we would have the ability to
stream live performances from our new studios directly to the homes of
St. Louisans as the performances occur. We could cut the time it takes
to upload our live performance video to YouTube 100-fold. We could
host our radio live streams ourselves, cutting out the need for the
cost, delay, and complexity of hosting with a provider half-way across
the country. We could also bring live video back into our studio,
allowing our audiences to connect with the performers and ask
questions in real-time.

We host two global, internet-based filmmaking competitions: the
National Film Challenge (http://filmchallenge.org) and the
International Documentary Challenge (http://docchallenge.org). With
the use of fiber, we could change our submission policy to allow our
participants to upload their films to our servers, decreasing the wait
time traditionally caused by using postal mail.

These are just a few thoughts off the top of my head. KDHX is a fully
Google vested and dependent organization. New ideas would be
encouraged, voted upon, and implemented with the use of Google
Moderator.

Whenever Google Fiber arrives in St. Louis, we will be ready,
Thank you
Steven M. Ley
Director of Internet & Information Technology
KDHX Community Media
St. Louis, MO