Multiple requests for Felix/Memory Serves

Brian

Nov 23, 2010, 9:20:43 AM11/23/10
to felix-users
Instead of multiple posts, I thought it would be a better idea to have
one post with multiple requests. Some of the topics may have been
covered in earlier posts.

FELIX:
• Automatically disable Glossary searches during Auto Translate
(unnecessarily slows the AT process down).
• Ability to run through cells vertically in Excel (instead of just
horizontally).
• Ability to skip hidden cells (rows/columns) in Excel. Not just for
Auto Translate, but also when going through cells one at a time.
• Ability to specify characters to ignore (assuming entire character
string is made of up ignore characters). There was a separate post for
this a few months ago.
• Perhaps this is a MS limitation, but using Felix in a textbox in
Excel, allow for running through individual sentences (segments)
instead of only the entire textbox. Larger textboxes with lots of
sentences get chopped off.
• In Excel, ability for Felix to include textboxes when running
through document (both manually and Auto Translate). Separately
clicking individual textboxes one-at-a-time can be cumbersome,
particularly for files almost entirely comprised of textboxes (can
sometimes literally be hundreds of textboxes).
• A way to have Context entered globally as you work in Felix.
• Store only text data in the TM, not additional font formatting data,
and have font formatting data used for that particular segment only.
I’m noticing that I’m getting font formatting from previous jobs
inadvertently inserted into subsequent jobs that I don’t want the
formatting carried over.

MEMORY SERVES:
• In Memory Serves, allow Replace feature to distinguish between
either Source, Translation, or both. Does not allow searching and
replacing of specific field (i.e. I may want to replace text only in
target language).
• Expanding search/replace items further, I want to be able to search
by specific field (e.g. all entries modified by a specific user). For
example, Ted is a new user. I’ve noticed that almost all of Ted’s
entries are incorrect. I want to be able to see all of Ted’s entries
and I also want to be able to delete all of Ted’s entries as needed.
• As a former user of Wordfast, I’ve got a lot of segments with
extraneous code. For example, “&'B;” (Wordfast coding for line break),
“&'BB;” (Wordfast coding for katakana “sa”), among others. Is there a
way to search/replace the line break string with a line break in
Felix?
• [Bug?] When edits are made to records in Memory Serves, “Modified
by” field shows computer name of PC running as server, not the user
name.

GENERAL QUESTION:
• Does memory search speed (when performing Look Up command) slow as
the number of entries increases? What about when multiple memories are
loaded and active in Memory Manager? Is it faster/slower to search
100,000 entries in one memory or 100,000 in two or more memories?

Ginstrom IT Solutions

Nov 23, 2010, 6:32:35 PM11/23/10
to felix...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for the feedback. These are good suggestions, and I plan to
implement most of them soon.

I'm going to write a blog post addressing your suggestions in more detail,
but here I'll respond with some quick answers.

> . Perhaps this is a MS limitation, but using Felix in a textbox in

> Excel, allow for running through individual sentences (segments) instead
> of only the entire textbox. Larger textboxes with lots of sentences get
> chopped off.

Yes, the Excel interface has/had a limitation where you can only get the
first 255 characters from a text box. This may be fixed in later versions of
Excel; I'll check this out.

> . Store only text data in the TM, not additional font formatting

> data,
> and have font formatting data used for that particular segment only.

If you go to the Word properties (in Word, Felix >> Felix Preferences >>
Format) and clear all the formatting properties, then data should be saved
in the TM as text only.

> MEMORY SERVES:
> . In Memory Serves, allow Replace feature to distinguish between

> either Source, Translation, or both. Does not allow searching and
> replacing of specific field (i.e. I may want to replace text only in
target
> language).

You should be able to do this now using tags. For example, to replace
"apple" with "banana" but in the source only, you would do the following

From: source:apple
To: banana

> . Expanding search/replace items further, I want to be able to

> search
> by specific field (e.g. all entries modified by a specific user).

You should also be able to do this using tags. On the search page, click
"Search Help" under the search box for a list of all the tags you can use.

> . As a former user of Wordfast, I've got a lot of segments with

> extraneous code. For example, "&'B;" (Wordfast coding for line break),
> "&'BB;" (Wordfast coding for katakana "sa"), among others. Is there a way
> to search/replace the line break string with a line break in Felix?

You can do this in Memory Serves now, using the "regex" tag.

From: regex:&'BB;
To: \n

Felix also supports the regex tag, but unfortunately the "\n" newline tag
isn't working; I've filed a bug for it.

> . [Bug?] When edits are made to records in Memory Serves, "Modified

> by" field shows computer name of PC running as server, not the user name.

Yes, this is a bug. It should be set to the name of the logged-on user, and
fall back to the computer name if no one is logged in. From Felix, it should
use the Felix user name.

> GENERAL QUESTION:
> . Does memory search speed (when performing Look Up command) slow

> as
> the number of entries increases? What about when multiple memories are
> loaded and active in Memory Manager? Is it faster/slower to search
> 100,000 entries in one memory or 100,000 in two or more memories?

It does slow, but the number of memories shouldn't make a difference, just
the total number of entries. One thing is that very long sentences can slow
down the search.

Are you having problems with slowness in Felix/Memory Serves?

Regards,
Ryan

=================================
Ryan Ginstrom
Felix Translation Memory Software
sup...@felix-cat.com
http://felix-cat.com/
+81-(0)98-958-1297
=================================

Brian

Nov 24, 2010, 8:27:28 AM11/24/10
to felix-users
Thanks for the quick reply!

I appreciate your attentiveness to my suggestions. I think that your
customer support helps make Felix the best.

I am not having any issues with speed (slowness). I only wanted to get
an idea so that I can formulate a plan for building my Memories.

Thanks again for your help. I look forward to the upcoming releases.

On Nov 23, 6:32 pm, "Ginstrom IT Solutions" <supp...@felix-cat.com>
wrote:
> supp...@felix-cat.comhttp://felix-cat.com/
> +81-(0)98-958-1297
> =================================

Ginstrom IT Solutions

Nov 26, 2010, 6:54:10 AM11/26/10
to felix...@googlegroups.com
I've posted a more detailed response to your feedback/suggestions in the
Felix blog; please have a look when you get the chance.

http://felix-cat.com/blog/2010/11/26/response-to-user-feedback/

Thanks again for the great feedback.

Regards,
Ryan