Demo URL and Progress Report

Chris Wilper

Apr 29, 2011, 3:35:05 PM4/29/11
to fcrepo-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have set up a demo instance of CloudSync which I'll try to keep up
to date over the next few weeks as I continue to work toward the
initial release. It doesn't do much yet, but feel free to have a look.

http://ec2-50-16-30-176.compute-1.amazonaws.com:8080/cloudsync

I've made some good progress on the implementation so far, but much of
it is "under the hood", so I thought it would be a good idea to give a
more detailed report, too.

So far, I have:

* Designed the Service API:
https://github.com/cwilper/fcrepo-misc/blob/master/fcrepo-cloudsync/fcrepo-cloudsync-api/src/main/java/com/github/cwilper/fcrepo/cloudsync/api/CloudSyncService.java
* Implemented the REST binding of the API (documented on the CloudSync
wiki under Software Design), which speaks JSON.
* Implemented the Javascript (client-side) binding of the API:
https://github.com/cwilper/fcrepo-misc/blob/master/fcrepo-cloudsync/fcrepo-cloudsync-service/src/main/webapp/static/cloudsync-client.js
* Successfully tested simplified webapp deployment (just set an
environment variable or system property and drop the webapp into your
app server -- no command line work or config file editing required!)
* Got a good start on the database layer (for persisting Tasks, Sets,
Stores, etc)
* Did a "good enough" implementation of Authentication for the first
release. Adding users and changing passwords requires modifying a
Spring config file, for now.
* Got a good start on the implementation of the UI, based on the
mockups (See URL above)

There's a significant amount of work remaining, including:

* Implementing the remainder of the UI
(adding/viewing/modifying/deleting Tasks, Sets, and Stores)
* Implementing the remainder of the database layer
* Implementing the execution of tasks and connections to the stores

As the implementation progresses, I will be sending periodic reports
like this just to keep you all aware of where things are at (and when
real testing can start -- probably just after OR'11).

Thanks,
Chris