C debugging

1 view

ucbvax!unix-wizards

Sep 15, 1981, 3:59:18 PM9/15/81
>From day@RAND-UNIX Tue Sep 15 19:51:32 1981
All C compilers should offer an option
to generate a call to the routine of your
choice on entrance to every subroutine,
and a similar option for the return from each
subroutine.

This would aid in tracking down memory
heap corruptions, and would make it easier to
get the debugger of your choice to skip to the
next entrance to or exit from a subroutine.

When you invoke the VAX C compiler with -p for
profiling it generates an assembly-language call
to a profiling subroutine for which I substituted
my own heap-checker, and that enabled me to zero in
on a heap-violation which was caused by an array-
out-of-bounds condition.

--dave

ucbvax!unix-wizards

Sep 16, 1981, 2:13:57 PM9/16/81
>From sdcarl!rusty@Berkeley Wed Sep 16 18:01:18 1981
Re: dave yost's "All C compilers should offer an option..."
We would like an option where you could say "do all floating
point computations in single-precision" to get some more
speed for our number crunching.