[ANNOUNCE] Linux Kernel Tester’s Guide v0.3-rc1

Michal Piotrowski

Jun 18, 2007, 4:13:15 PM6/18/07
to LKML, Rafael J. Wysocki, Maciej Rutecki, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz, Jarek Poplawski, Mariusz Kozlowski, Randy Dunlap
Hi,

We are pleased to announce the availability of "Linux Kernel Tester's Guide" v0.3-rc1.

This short guide describes the basics of kernel testing. The handbook is divided into six chapters:

1 The kernel, patches, trees and compilation
1.1 The kernel
1.2 Patches
1.3 Ketchup
1.4 Trees
1.5 The -mm tree
1.6 Compilation and installation
1.6.1 Kernel compilation
1.6.2 Useful make options
1.6.3 Kernel modules
1.6.4 Kernel hacking options
1.6.5 Magic SysRq
1.6.6 Installation
1.6.7 Automated configuration and installation
2 Testing
2.1 Phase One
2.2 Phase Two (AutoTest)
2.3 Phase Three
2.4 Measuring performance
2.5 Hello world! or What exactly are we looking for?
2.6 Binary drivers and distribution kernels
3 Collecting kernel messages
3.1 Syslog, console and dmesg
3.2 Serial console
3.3 Network console
4 Git, quilt and binary searching
4.1 Git
4.2 Quilt
4.3 General idea of binary searching
4.4 Binary searching with the help of quilt
4.5 Binary searching with the help of git-bisect
4.6 Caveats
5 Reporting bugs
6 Testing of hardware
A Related topics
A.1 Test system
A.2 KLive
A.3 Sending patches
A.4 How to become the kernel developer?
B License

PDF version
http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/handbook/handbook-en-0.3-rc1.pdf

LaTeX source
http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/handbook/handbook-current.tar.bz2

Any comments, suggestions and patches are welcome.

Huge thanks goes to Rafael J. Wysocki who translated the entire guide into English.
This is one of those rare cases when translation is better than original version :).

Regards,
Michal

--
LOG
http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/log/

Clemens Koller

Jun 19, 2007, 8:40:20 AM6/19/07
to Michal Piotrowski, LKML, Rafael J. Wysocki, Maciej Rutecki, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz, Jarek Poplawski, Mariusz Kozlowski, Randy Dunlap
Hello, Michal, Rafael!

Good work!
Some (minor) comments below.

Michal Piotrowski schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> We are pleased to announce the availability of "Linux Kernel Tester's
> Guide" v0.3-rc1.
>
> This short guide describes the basics of kernel testing. The handbook is
> divided into six chapters:
>
> 1 The kernel, patches, trees and compilation
> 1.1 The kernel

I would prefer to use a -rc in the examples and not one of the
stable 2.6.x.y kernels.

> 1.2 Patches
> 1.3 Ketchup

I would prefer using git in the examples.
There is no such thing as "apt-get" in generic linux.

> Any comments, suggestions and patches are welcome.

There is just too less time to test the kernel much in
detail. It would be fine to have the whole book as
/test-my-system-now-but-dont-ask-me.sh ;-)

Good luck,
--
Clemens Koller
__________________________________

Michal Piotrowski

Jun 19, 2007, 12:17:02 PM6/19/07
to Clemens Koller, LKML, Rafael J. Wysocki, Maciej Rutecki, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz, Jarek Poplawski, Mariusz Kozlowski, Randy Dunlap
Hi Clemens,

On 19/06/07, Clemens Koller <clemens...@anagramm.de> wrote:
> Hello, Michal, Rafael!
>
> Good work!

Thanks :)

> Some (minor) comments below.
>
> Michal Piotrowski schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are pleased to announce the availability of "Linux Kernel Tester's
> > Guide" v0.3-rc1.
> >
> > This short guide describes the basics of kernel testing. The handbook is
> > divided into six chapters:
> >
> > 1 The kernel, patches, trees and compilation
> > 1.1 The kernel
>
> I would prefer to use a -rc in the examples and not one of the
> stable 2.6.x.y kernels.
>
> > 1.2 Patches
> > 1.3 Ketchup
>
> I would prefer using git in the examples.
> There is no such thing as "apt-get" in generic linux.
>
> > Any comments, suggestions and patches are welcome.
>
> There is just too less time to test the kernel much in
> detail. It would be fine to have the whole book as

> ./test-my-system-now-but-dont-ask-me.sh ;-)

How about "bin/autotest samples/all_tests"?

Regards,
Michal

--
LOG
http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/log/

Jan Engelhardt

Jun 21, 2007, 2:51:15 AM6/21/07

<On Jun 18 2007 22:11, Michal Piotrowski wrote:

> 1 The kernel, patches, trees and compilation
> 1.1 The kernel

Please do not advocate old-style tar option syntax.

> 1.2 Patches
> 1.3 Ketchup
> 1.4 Trees
> 1.5 The -mm tree
> 1.6 Compilation and installation
> 1.6.1 Kernel compilation
> 1.6.2 Useful make options

make O=/katalog seems out of place.

> 1.6.3 Kernel modules
> 1.6.4 Kernel hacking options
> 1.6.5 Magic SysRq
> 1.6.6 Installation
> 1.6.7 Automated configuration and installation
> 2 Testing
> 2.1 Phase One
> 2.2 Phase Two (AutoTest)
> 2.3 Phase Three
> 2.4 Measuring performance
> 2.5 Hello world! or What exactly are we looking for?
> 2.6 Binary drivers and distribution kernels
> 3 Collecting kernel messages
> 3.1 Syslog, console and dmesg
> 3.2 Serial console

Or set up minicom first... minicom -s ttyS0 (and then go to Serial port setup)

> PDF version
> http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/handbook/handbook-en-0.3-rc1.pdf

No HTML version?

> LaTeX source
> http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/handbook/handbook-current.tar.bz2
>
> Any comments, suggestions and patches are welcome.
>
> Huge thanks goes to Rafael J. Wysocki who translated the entire guide into
> English.
> This is one of those rare cases when translation is better than original
> version :).

Jan

Michal Piotrowski

Jun 21, 2007, 4:30:35 AM6/21/07
to Balbir Singh, LKML, Rafael J. Wysocki, Maciej Rutecki, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz, Jarek Poplawski, Mariusz Kozlowski, Randy Dunlap
Hi Balbir,

On 21/06/07, Balbir Singh <bal...@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> Wonderful! Are there any plans to start using the fault injection framework
> to catch more defects?

There are plans for the second part called "debugging techniques", but
I really don't know when I'll start writing this.

In fact I don't even know if it will be useful for testers. IMHO it is
for developers not for testers.

Balbir Singh

Jun 21, 2007, 4:44:26 AM6/21/07
Michal Piotrowski wrote:
> Hi Balbir,
>
> On 21/06/07, Balbir Singh <bal...@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>> Wonderful! Are there any plans to start using the fault injection
>> framework
>> to catch more defects?
>
> There are plans for the second part called "debugging techniques", but
> I really don't know when I'll start writing this.
>
> In fact I don't even know if it will be useful for testers. IMHO it is
> for developers not for testers.
>
> Regards,
> Michal

I thought so too, but being able to randomly fail allocations on a system
might expose the system error handling and recovery capabilities.

It'll also be interesting to see if testing is catching bugs, that tools
(such as sparse) could have caught.

--
Warm Regards,
Balbir Singh

Clemens Koller

Jun 21, 2007, 6:50:03 AM6/21/07

Michal Piotrowski schrieb:

>> There is just too less time to test the kernel much in
>> detail. It would be fine to have the whole book as
>> ./test-my-system-now-but-dont-ask-me.sh ;-)
>
> How about "bin/autotest samples/all_tests"?

Ah, I really should read all of it:
There is "Chapter 2.2 Phase Two (AutoTest)".

I will give it a try...

Thanks,

--
Clemens Koller
__________________________________
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH
Rupert-Mayer-Straße 45/1
Linhof Werksgelände
D-81379 München
Tel.089-741518-50
Fax 089-741518-19
http://www.anagramm-technology.com

Jarek Poplawski

Jun 22, 2007, 4:22:28 AM6/22/07
to Jan Engelhardt, Michal Piotrowski, LKML, Rafael J. Wysocki, Maciej Rutecki, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz, Mariusz Kozlowski, Randy Dunlap
On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 08:50:54AM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> <On Jun 18 2007 22:11, Michal Piotrowski wrote:
..

I see I'm not the last of a kind... Or? So:
No txt version?

> > Any comments, suggestions and patches are welcome.
> >
> > Huge thanks goes to Rafael J. Wysocki who translated the entire guide into
> > English.

I join you in this thanking! (Sorry for delay.)

> > This is one of those rare cases when translation is better than original
> > version :).

It's probably mainly because my contribution (i.e. some comas)
is untranslatable!

Cheers,
Jarek P.

Jarek Poplawski

Jun 22, 2007, 6:45:22 AM6/22/07
to Jan Engelhardt, Michal Piotrowski, LKML, Rafael J. Wysocki, Maciej Rutecki, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz, Mariusz Kozlowski, Randy Dunlap
On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 10:30:04AM +0200, Jarek Poplawski wrote:
..

> It's probably mainly because my contribution (i.e. some comas)
> is untranslatable!

After full awakening I've recalled there were a few very nice commas
as well!

Rolf Eike Beer

Jun 25, 2007, 5:17:43 AM6/25/07
Michal Piotrowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are pleased to announce the availability of "Linux Kernel Tester's
> Guide" v0.3-rc1.

It would be cool if we can get a clickable table of contents. Normally it's
enough to include \usepackage{hyperref} before running pdflatex.

Eike

signature.asc