Suspend2 is getting a new name.

Nigel Cunningham

Jul 2, 2007, 3:31:15 AM7/2/07
to LKML
Hi all.

Suspend2's name is changing to "TuxOnIce".

This is for a couple of reasons:

In recent discussions on LKML, the point was made that the word "Suspend" is
confusing. It is used to refer to both suspending to disk and suspending to
ram. Life will be simpler if we more clearly differentiate the two.

The name Suspend2 came about a couple of years ago when we made the 2.0
release and started self-hosting. If we ever get to a 3.0 release, the name
could become even more confusing! (And there are already problems with people
confusing the name with swsusp and talking about uswsusp as version 3!).

http://www.suspend2.net is still working at the moment, but we'll shift to
http://www.tuxonice.net over the next while. The wiki and bugzilla are
already done; email will remain on suspend2.net for a little while and git
trees will be renamed at the time of the next stable release.

Regards,

Nigel
--
See http://www.tuxonice.net for Howtos, FAQs, mailing
lists, wiki and bugzilla info.

Jan Engelhardt

Jul 2, 2007, 3:40:01 AM7/2/07
to ni...@suspend2.net, LKML

On Jul 2 2007 17:30, Nigel Cunningham wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>Suspend2's name is changing to "TuxOnIce".
>
>This is for a couple of reasons:
>
>In recent discussions on LKML, the point was made that the word "Suspend" is
>confusing. It is used to refer to both suspending to disk and suspending to
>ram. Life will be simpler if we more clearly differentiate the two.

Reminds me of... (scnr)
http://www.ixsoft.de/software/products/OFTUXICE.html
http://dicey.org/b/images/s20060418_0.jpg ( http://cc314.classicgaming.gamespy.com/encyclopedia/images/enemyk1-kfrozen.gif )
and things like
http://es.tldp.org/LinuxFocus/pub/mirror/LinuxFocus/common/images/coverJanuary2003.jpg

Jan
--
-

Nigel Cunningham

Jul 2, 2007, 4:11:10 AM7/2/07
to Jan Engelhardt, ni...@suspend2.net, LKML
Hi.

On Monday 02 July 2007 17:39:34 Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Jul 2 2007 17:30, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> >
> >Hi all.
> >
> >Suspend2's name is changing to "TuxOnIce".
> >
> >This is for a couple of reasons:
> >
> >In recent discussions on LKML, the point was made that the word "Suspend"
is
> >confusing. It is used to refer to both suspending to disk and suspending to
> >ram. Life will be simpler if we more clearly differentiate the two.
>
> Reminds me of... (scnr)
> http://www.ixsoft.de/software/products/OFTUXICE.html
> http://dicey.org/b/images/s20060418_0.jpg (

This one is our existing logo. I believe Bernard made it with Blender. Guess
someone has appropriated it :\

Cute pictures.

Should I mention other people have seen allusions to drugs? :)

Nigel

Satyam Sharma

Jul 2, 2007, 4:24:14 AM7/2/07
to ni...@suspend2.net, LKML
[ Shamelessly off-topic, but SCNR myself ]

On 7/2/07, Nigel Cunningham <ni...@nigel.suspend2.net> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Suspend2's name is changing to "TuxOnIce".

Hmm, FunkyMixedCase name ...

<tongue-firmly-in-cheek>
.. hope this'll make it work on my laptop too :-)

[ Is there a prize for posting waaay off-topic messages? ]

BTW, TuxOnIce is a better choice for name than some variation of
"Hibernate", from a biological perspective too -- as everybody already
knows, penguins never quite hibernate, but spend the entire rough
Antarctic winter bunched up in a group on the surface (ice) itself ...

Satyam

Fabio Comolli

Jul 2, 2007, 4:30:53 AM7/2/07
to ni...@suspend2.net, LKML
Hi.

On 7/2/07, Nigel Cunningham <ni...@nigel.suspend2.net> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Suspend2's name is changing to "TuxOnIce".

Am I the only person on this list thinking that a plain "hibernate"
will be a much better choice?

> Regards,
>
> Nigel

Just my 2 (euro)cents.

Best regards,
Fabio

Oliver Neukum

Jul 2, 2007, 4:36:03 AM7/2/07
to Fabio Comolli, ni...@suspend2.net, LKML
Am Montag, 2. Juli 2007 schrieb Fabio Comolli:
> Hi.
>
> On 7/2/07, Nigel Cunningham <ni...@nigel.suspend2.net> wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Suspend2's name is changing to "TuxOnIce".
> >

> Am I the only person on this list thinking that a plain "hibernate"
> will be a much better choice?

Yes, you are the only person. "Hibernate" is the concept. The separate
implementations also need names.

Regards
Oliver

Renato S. Yamane

Jul 2, 2007, 8:16:51 AM7/2/07
to Oliver Neukum, Fabio Comolli, ni...@suspend2.net, LKML
Oliver Neukum escreveu:

> Am Montag, 2. Juli 2007 schrieb Fabio Comolli:
>> On 7/2/07, Nigel Cunningham <ni...@nigel.suspend2.net> wrote:
>>> Suspend2's name is changing to "TuxOnIce".
>>
>> Am I the only person on this list thinking that a plain "hibernate"
>> will be a much better choice?
>
> Yes, you are the only person. "Hibernate" is the concept. The separate
> implementations also need names.

TuxOnIce sounds like a "game" :-)
But I don't see any problem with this.

Regards,
Renato

Alon Bar-Lev

Jul 2, 2007, 2:41:52 PM7/2/07
On 7/2/07, Fabio Comolli <fabio....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On 7/2/07, Nigel Cunningham <ni...@nigel.suspend2.net> wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Suspend2's name is changing to "TuxOnIce".
> >

> Am I the only person on this list thinking that a plain "hibernate"
> will be a much better choice?

No you are not the only one :)

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.

Fabio Comolli

Jul 2, 2007, 3:12:10 PM7/2/07
to Alon Bar-Lev, ni...@suspend2.net, LKML
Hi

On 7/2/07, Alon Bar-Lev <alon....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/2/07, Fabio Comolli <fabio....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > On 7/2/07, Nigel Cunningham <ni...@nigel.suspend2.net> wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > > Suspend2's name is changing to "TuxOnIce".
> > >

> > Am I the only person on this list thinking that a plain "hibernate"
> > will be a much better choice?
>
> No you are not the only one :)

Ah, OK. I was beginning to think that something (more than usual) was
wrong with me. Maybe one day someone at alsa-project will decide that
my sound card driver's name will change from snd_intel8x0 to
"TheEmperorsCry" ;-)

> Best Regards,
> Alon Bar-Lev.

Regards,
Fabio

Bill Davidsen

Jul 2, 2007, 3:16:01 PM7/2/07
to ni...@suspend2.net, LKML
Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Suspend2's name is changing to "TuxOnIce".
>
> This is for a couple of reasons:
>
> In recent discussions on LKML, the point was made that the word "Suspend" is
> confusing. It is used to refer to both suspending to disk and suspending to
> ram. Life will be simpler if we more clearly differentiate the two.
>
> The name Suspend2 came about a couple of years ago when we made the 2.0
> release and started self-hosting. If we ever get to a 3.0 release, the name
> could become even more confusing! (And there are already problems with people
> confusing the name with swsusp and talking about uswsusp as version 3!).
>
> http://www.suspend2.net is still working at the moment, but we'll shift to
> http://www.tuxonice.net over the next while. The wiki and bugzilla are
> already done; email will remain on suspend2.net for a little while and git
> trees will be renamed at the time of the next stable release.

I guess this is "good news, bad news" time. The good news is that the
"suspend with working resume" project is still active, the bad news is
that making provisions for long term out of mainline operation sounds as
if you have no hope of getting this code into the mainline kernel. :-(

--
Bill Davidsen <davi...@tmr.com>

Nigel Cunningham

Jul 2, 2007, 6:08:39 PM7/2/07
to Bill Davidsen, ni...@suspend2.net, LKML
Hi.

On Tuesday 03 July 2007 05:18:39 Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Suspend2's name is changing to "TuxOnIce".
> >
> > This is for a couple of reasons:
> >
> > In recent discussions on LKML, the point was made that the word "Suspend"
is
> > confusing. It is used to refer to both suspending to disk and suspending
> > ram. Life will be simpler if we more clearly differentiate the two.
> >
> > The name Suspend2 came about a couple of years ago when we made the 2.0
> > release and started self-hosting. If we ever get to a 3.0 release, the
name
> > could become even more confusing! (And there are already problems with
people
> > confusing the name with swsusp and talking about uswsusp as version 3!).
> >
> > http://www.suspend2.net is still working at the moment, but we'll shift to
> > http://www.tuxonice.net over the next while. The wiki and bugzilla are
> > already done; email will remain on suspend2.net for a little while and git
> > trees will be renamed at the time of the next stable release.
> >
> I guess this is "good news, bad news" time. The good news is that the
> "suspend with working resume" project is still active, the bad news is
> that making provisions for long term out of mainline operation sounds as
> if you have no hope of getting this code into the mainline kernel. :-(

Let's not turn this into a flamewar, please. This is just a name change,
nothing more.

As far as I know, the desire on Rafael's part and mine is still to get at
least some of the functionality merged. The only reason this isn't happening
yet is that we're both busy with other aspects of the work. Rafael is
focussing on infrastructure issues, I'm focussing on minimising the diff and
finishing off cleaning up and adding comments to functions.

Regards,

Nigel

Mail List

Jul 2, 2007, 9:37:49 PM7/2/07
to LKML

On Monday 02 July 2007 03:11:52 pm Fabio Comolli wrote:
> > > Am I the only person on this list thinking that a plain "hibernate"
> > > will be a much better choice?
> >
> > No you are not the only one :)

I like the frozen name - but similar to you, if the name suspendX and
hibernate are confusing in not distinguishing ram from disk perhaps one could
do something obvious like:

hibernate_2_ram
hibernate_2_disk

or something shorter ... perhaps involving Ice and twist ?? ;-)

gene/

Rafael J. Wysocki

Jul 3, 2007, 9:27:29 AM7/3/07
to Nigel Cunningham, Bill Davidsen, ni...@suspend2.net, LKML
Hi,

That's correct, thanks for saying this!

My first target is to introduce a framework allowing drivers to have different
callbacks for hibernation and suspend. Unfortunately, that turned out to
require quite a lot of work - and time - to do.

Greetings,
Rafael

--
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." - Donald Knuth

Pavel Machek

Jul 5, 2007, 6:13:48 AM7/5/07
to Satyam Sharma, ni...@suspend2.net, LKML
Hi!

> [ Shamelessly off-topic, but SCNR myself ]
>
> On 7/2/07, Nigel Cunningham <ni...@nigel.suspend2.net>
> wrote:
> >Hi all.
> >
> >Suspend2's name is changing to "TuxOnIce".
>
> Hmm, FunkyMixedCase name ...
>
> <tongue-firmly-in-cheek>

> ... hope this'll make it work on my laptop too :-)

> [ Is there a prize for posting waaay off-topic messages?
> ]
>
> BTW, TuxOnIce is a better choice for name than some
> variation of
> "Hibernate", from a biological perspective too -- as
> everybody already
> knows, penguins never quite hibernate, but spend the
> entire rough
> Antarctic winter bunched up in a group on the surface
> (ice) itself ...

Ugh, can I use it as an excuse for broken hibernation?

Linus is responsible when he used the penguin logo! Penguins just do
not hibernate! :-).

..OTOH penguins do sleep, so I guess I should be working hard on
fixing that :-).

Pavel