BSDInstaller Beta 2 release

Andrew Turner

Dec 10, 2005, 5:40:13 PM12/10/05
to freebsd...@freebsd.org
I am pleased to announce the second release of FreeBSD install CD's
based on the BSD Installer.

The new Lua backend is now being used in this release rather than the
older, deprecated C version.

The CD image is available from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/bsdinstaller/7.0-BSDINSTALLER-BETA-2-i386-disc1.iso.gz
or your local mirror
MD5 (7.0-BSDINSTALLER-BETA-2-i386-disc1.iso) =
1becb489666ee97f5e10ebc5a0987f2d
SHA256 (7.0-BSDINSTALLER-BETA-2-i386-disc1.iso) =
e5f6114258e1b66adfd84636ffbd3286c7ad41dadab42e615da68f5b0cf8cbaf

As with the previous Beta release there are three virtual consoles
available:
* ttyv0: The frontend
* ttyv1: The backend
* ttyv2: A standard login screen to login as root with no password

Changes Since BETA-1
* Can now install Source
* Can now install the Ports tree
* Can now install Packages
* Change to the new Lua backend

Known Problems
* Can only install to one drive, can't have / on ad0 and /usr on ad1
* fdisk doesn't alter the geometry

Thank you to Scott Long for providing a computer to build this with.

Ulrich Spoerlein

Dec 11, 2005, 9:43:17 AM12/11/05
to Andrew Turner, freebsd...@freebsd.org
> As with the previous Beta release there are three virtual consoles available:
> * ttyv0: The frontend
> * ttyv1: The backend
> * ttyv2: A standard login screen to login as root with no password

I can't currently test this, so I'm asking: Is ttyv2 running a full live
system with reasonable $PATH variable? In other words, can I run dd,
fdisk, bsdlabel (including vi), newfs, tar/cp/cpio from inside this
shell?

And: Would it thus be possible to use dump(8) from the mounted live-CD and
restore(8) the system to the local hard disk.

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44 Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B 2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44

Andrew Turner

Dec 11, 2005, 4:49:22 PM12/11/05
to Ulrich Spoerlein, freebsd...@freebsd.org
Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:

>>As with the previous Beta release there are three virtual consoles available:
>>* ttyv0: The frontend
>>* ttyv1: The backend
>>* ttyv2: A standard login screen to login as root with no password
>>

>I can't currently test this, so I'm asking: Is ttyv2 running a full live
>system with reasonable $PATH variable? In other words, can I run dd,
>fdisk, bsdlabel (including vi), newfs, tar/cp/cpio from inside this
>shell?

Yes, it is what you would get by installing just the base distribution.
The installer uses fdisk, bsdlabel, newfs, tar and others in the
installation process.

>And: Would it thus be possible to use dump(8) from the mounted live-CD and
>restore(8) the system to the local hard disk.

You could use dump and restore as the CD contains both tools. The only
problem would be if you don't have enough memory as there is no swap
until part way through the install.

Andrew

Marius N_nnerich

Dec 11, 2005, 5:15:27 PM12/11/05
to freebsd...@freebsd.org
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:39:03 +1300
Andrew Turner <and...@fubar.geek.nz> wrote:

> I am pleased to announce the second release of FreeBSD install CD's
> based on the BSD Installer.

Hi,

thanks for your work.

I did a quick test and found that

* I can deselect every distribution and accept that "selection",
this obviously didn't work to install. I think there should at
least be a hint that base is required.

* The window to select the distributions is called "Select Packages"

* /README is missing

* kern.geom.debugflags is set to 16. Is this to allow to manipulate
slice and partition information while the disk is mounted? If so,
isn't there a better way (mounting the disk after editing those
tables)?

* The ISO should imo contain a portsnap snapshot and not only
ports.tgz

* Maybe for src the appropriate checkouts file for cvsup

* fdisk and bsdlabel are called very often?!

* Did I miss where to install the standard MBR instead of the menu one?

* The selected keymap is not written to /etc/rc.conf of the new system?

So far I like the Installer.
Maybe one day someone integrates a graphical frontend
for the installer (eg. like desktopbsd) :)

regards
Marius

Andrew Turner

Dec 12, 2005, 2:06:20 AM12/12/05
to Marius N_nnerich, freebsd...@freebsd.org
Marius N_nnerich wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:39:03 +1300
>Andrew Turner <and...@fubar.geek.nz> wrote:
>

>>I am pleased to announce the second release of FreeBSD install CD's
>>based on the BSD Installer.
>>

>Hi,
>
>thanks for your work.
>
>I did a quick test and found that
>
>* I can deselect every distribution and accept that "selection",
> this obviously didn't work to install. I think there should at
> least be a hint that base is required.

Thanks, I've added a note pointing out base is important.

>* The window to select the distributions is called "Select Packages"

Corrected the name.

>* /README is missing
>
>* kern.geom.debugflags is set to 16. Is this to allow to manipulate
> slice and partition information while the disk is mounted? If so,
> isn't there a better way (mounting the disk after editing those
> tables)?

I needed it to install the mbr but dosn't appear to be needed anymore.

>* The ISO should imo contain a portsnap snapshot and not only
> ports.tgz

I will when it is availiable in the release Makefile as it is outside
the scope of this.

>* Maybe for src the appropriate checkouts file for cvsup
>
>* fdisk and bsdlabel are called very often?!

Talk to the main BSDInstaller developers about that.

>* Did I miss where to install the standard MBR instead of the menu one?

No, there is currently no way of doing it.

>* The selected keymap is not written to /etc/rc.conf of the new system?

I'll look into it.

>So far I like the Installer.
>Maybe one day someone integrates a graphical frontend
>for the installer (eg. like desktopbsd) :)

As the frontend and backend are seperate processes it is possible to
write a graphical frontend.