away

David Xu

Mar 29, 2006, 6:31:37 PM3/29/06
to cur...@freebsd.org, co...@freeebsd.org
Hi everyone,

I will go away today due to some unpleasant person attack to me, in the past,
I have made lots of work in FreeBSD threading work, this includes kernel
threading in earlier stage and thread libraries later, and gdb support for
these new thread libraries from kernel to userland everywhere, spent lots
of time to work in libpthread, and later make libthr to be best performance
library for mysql and possible other applications developed on Linux and make
it run on most platforms we current support.
because the work load was large, I admit I have made some coding
mistakes which some people think it is serious while other don't think so,
I don't think it is not fixable, time goes and things will be fixed, think
about FreeBSD comes from a 4.x which is ignorant about true kernel based
thread, changing to current thread based kernel is really a painful thing to
do, even with recently 6.1, I still have fixed lots of thread suspension race
which I think is obscure, of course, my work does not stop on threading,
recent, I also have added signal queue, POSIX message queue and timer,
made AIO MP-safe, these are all work-in-progress, but I am sorry, the attack
made to me is very harmful, I feel I can not recover from such disaster,
working on FreeBSD is no longer fun. I will still use FreeBSD, but no
contribution, current it is default OS I use in daily work from desktop to
notebook.

I wish FreeBSD will succeed as its 4.x versions did.

Sincerely,
David Xu

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Mar 29, 2006, 6:45:29 PM3/29/06
to David Xu, co...@freeebsd.org, cur...@freebsd.org
On Thursday, 30 March 2006 at 7:30:34 +0800, David Xu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I will go away today due to some unpleasant person attack to me, in
> the past,

I'm sorry to hear it.

> I have made lots of work in FreeBSD threading work, this includes
> kernel threading in earlier stage and thread libraries later, and
> gdb support for these new thread libraries from kernel to userland
> everywhere, spent lots of time to work in libpthread, and later make
> libthr to be best performance library for mysql and possible other
> applications developed on Linux and make it run on most platforms we
> current support. because the work load was large, I admit I have
> made some coding mistakes which some people think it is serious
> while other don't think so, I don't think it is not fixable, time
> goes and things will be fixed, think about FreeBSD comes from a 4.x
> which is ignorant about true kernel based thread, changing to
> with recently 6.1, I still have fixed lots of thread suspension race
> which I think is obscure, of course, my work does not stop on
> threading, recent, I also have added signal queue, POSIX message
> queue and timer, made AIO MP-safe, these are all work-in-progress,
> but I am sorry, the attack made to me is very harmful, I feel I can
> not recover from such disaster, working on FreeBSD is no longer fun.

David, I'm sure I'm not the only one who greatly admires the work you
have done. The fact that you're resigning seems nothing short of a
disaster. Is there any way we can convince you to change your mind?

Core, you'll recall that this is one of my recurrent concerns. If we
(you) don't do more to encourage harmony in the project, it will fail.

And yes, I already have my asbestos-substitute underwear on waiting
for people to say "what are you talking about? We're already doing
things".

Greg

David Xu

Mar 29, 2006, 6:50:43 PM3/29/06
to freebsd...@freebsd.org, co...@freeebsd.org, cur...@freebsd.org
Forgot to say:

Many thanks to Julian Elischer who gave me chance to work on FreeBSD,
and many thanks to Daniel Eischen, these two committers are very
cooperative and kindly, it is very pleasant to work with them.

M. Warner Losh

Mar 29, 2006, 7:01:59 PM3/29/06
to gr...@freebsd.org, co...@freeebsd.org, dav...@freebsd.org, cur...@freebsd.org
In message: <20060329234...@wantadilla.lemis.com>
"Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <gr...@freebsd.org> writes:
: Core, you'll recall that this is one of my recurrent concerns. If we

: (you) don't do more to encourage harmony in the project, it will fail.

Greg,

We have been promoting project harmony. Within hours of DES' attack,
he was dressed down in private for the over-the-top nature of it and
it wouldn't be tolerated. What more would you have me do? I think
your critisms here aren't warranted.

Warner

Danny Pansters

Mar 29, 2006, 7:13:39 PM3/29/06
to freebsd...@freebsd.org, David Xu
On Thursday 30 March 2006 01:30, David Xu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I will go away today due to some unpleasant person attack to me, in the
> past, I have made lots of work in FreeBSD threading work, this includes
> kernel threading in earlier stage and thread libraries later, and gdb
> support for these new thread libraries from kernel to userland everywhere,
> spent lots of time to work in libpthread, and later make libthr to be best
> performance library for mysql and possible other applications developed on
> Linux and make it run on most platforms we current support.
> because the work load was large, I admit I have made some coding

David, while I'm not involved or very qualified to comment on kernel/threading
work, I do realize that this is one of the most difficult things to work on.
I also understand that FreeBSD has chronically shortage of qualified people.
And as anyone should understand, the changes between 4 and 5+ were huge here.

I can only say that as a FreeBSD user and small scale contributor I very very
very much appreciate all the work you've done. I hope you reconsider. FreeBSD
needs people like you (well, they also need people like me but not as hard).

> mistakes which some people think it is serious while other don't think so,

Everyone makes mistakes. Perhaps we even spend most our times making mistakes.
It's not mistakes that are to blame and certainly not yours (no matter what
exactly happened), it's the simple fact that we have too few people. Having
one less, especially a very good one, only makes that worse.

> I don't think it is not fixable, time goes and things will be fixed, think
> about FreeBSD comes from a 4.x which is ignorant about true kernel based
> thread, changing to current thread based kernel is really a painful thing
> to do, even with recently 6.1, I still have fixed lots of thread suspension
> race which I think is obscure, of course, my work does not stop on
> threading, recent, I also have added signal queue, POSIX message queue and

Ergo, we don't need more overworking or more blame. We need more people. And
well, maybe cooperation could be improved sometimes but that's really
secondary I think. It's about manpower.

> timer, made AIO MP-safe, these are all work-in-progress, but I am sorry,

This just sounds to me as way too much work and burden for one person.

> the attack made to me is very harmful, I feel I can not recover from such
> disaster, working on FreeBSD is no longer fun. I will still use FreeBSD,
> but no contribution, current it is default OS I use in daily work from
> desktop to notebook.
>
> I wish FreeBSD will succeed as its 4.x versions did.

It will. But it will do so faster and better with you on board :(

Anyway, much obliged,

Dan

Andrey V. Elsukov

Mar 30, 2006, 1:58:26 AM3/30/06
David Xu wrote:
> made AIO MP-safe, these are all work-in-progress, but I am sorry, the attack
> made to me is very harmful, I feel I can not recover from such disaster,

David,
Do not pay attention to behaviour of the ill-bred people, which can not
hold themselves within the bounds of decency. Your work is very
important for the FreeBSD Project and for FreeBSD Community.
Please, do not leave FreeBSD!

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov

Igor Sysoev

Mar 30, 2006, 4:04:09 AM3/30/06
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, David Xu wrote:

> I will go away today due to some unpleasant person attack to me, in the past,
> I have made lots of work in FreeBSD threading work, this includes kernel
> threading in earlier stage and thread libraries later, and gdb support for
> these new thread libraries from kernel to userland everywhere, spent lots
> of time to work in libpthread, and later make libthr to be best performance
> library for mysql and possible other applications developed on Linux and make
> it run on most platforms we current support.
> because the work load was large, I admit I have made some coding
> mistakes which some people think it is serious while other don't think so,
> I don't think it is not fixable, time goes and things will be fixed, think
> about FreeBSD comes from a 4.x which is ignorant about true kernel based
> thread, changing to current thread based kernel is really a painful thing to
> do, even with recently 6.1, I still have fixed lots of thread suspension race
> which I think is obscure, of course, my work does not stop on threading,
> recent, I also have added signal queue, POSIX message queue and timer,
> made AIO MP-safe, these are all work-in-progress, but I am sorry, the attack
> made to me is very harmful, I feel I can not recover from such disaster,
> working on FreeBSD is no longer fun. I will still use FreeBSD, but no
> contribution, current it is default OS I use in daily work from desktop to
> notebook.

David, please, do not leave FreeBSD development!
Your work is very important for FreeBSD.

Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/

Martin Nilsson

Mar 30, 2006, 4:43:25 AM3/30/06
to David Xu, cur...@freebsd.org
David Xu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I will go away today due to some unpleasant person attack to me,

That is really sad to read! I've read your numerous commit messages with
a warm and fuzzy feeling that my favorite OS is being constantly
improved even in the non-trivial and hard to understand parts.

> because the work load was large, I admit I have made some coding
> mistakes which some people think it is serious while other don't think so,
> I don't think it is not fixable, time goes and things will be fixed,

Please remember that it is better to have done _something_, even with a
few mistakes, than to sit and whine, having accomplished nothing!

> the attack made to me is very harmful, I feel I can not recover
> from such disaster, working on FreeBSD is no longer fun.

Do you really feel that what you have done for FreeBSD is so bad that
you should put so much grief and sadness into what one/some/a few people
have said/done? (I personally know nothing about the matter - so I can't
comment on it further)

It's better to recognized, although in a non positive way, than it is to
be ignored and met with a total lack interest. At least your adversaries
think that what you have done is important enough to get upset about :-)

Please reconsider, I'm confident that you still have many valuable
contributions to make in the future, and don't forget to ask for help
when you need it.

Regards,

Martin Nilsson
(Swedish FreeBSD user/advocate/consultant/server-pusher)

Dag-Erling Smørgrav

Mar 30, 2006, 5:56:39 AM3/30/06
David Xu <dav...@freebsd.org> writes:
> I will go away today due to some unpleasant person attack to me, in
> the past, I have made lots of work in FreeBSD threading work, this
> includes kernel threading in earlier stage and thread libraries
> later, and gdb support for these new thread libraries from kernel to
> userland everywhere, spent lots of time to work in libpthread, and
> later make libthr to be best performance library for mysql and
> possible other applications developed on Linux and make it run on
> most platforms we current support.

I've been reading and re-reading the relevant threads on -threads,
-current and -developers. The more I read, the less I understand.

At the tail end of two days spent immersed in libthr, I sniped at you
on -committers. That was wrong. I understand that you were insulted.
I compounded my mistake by not apologizing immediately. I'm not
trying to defend that.

To spell it out plainly, for the record: David, what I wrote to you on
-committers was unfair and unprofessional, and I apologize.

However, I do not understand how things developed from there. I tried
to start a technical discussion with you on -threads, explaining what
I thought was wrong with libthr, hoping that you would understand my
concerns, and hoping to work with you to correct and improve the code.
This did not work out. Perhaps you had already made up your mind to
leave; perhaps you were too hurt to read anything but insult into
anything I wrote.

I am not trying to rush you, as you implied, and I would not commit my
patch without your approval; if I did, I'd be out on my arse faster
than you can say "backout war", and with good reason.

My initial impulse was to tell you to grow a thicker skin. I'm not
going to say that, because it's stupid and insensitive. What I'm
going to say, instead, is this: I am only one of several hundred
FreeBSD developers. I have no special position or authority in the
project. My opinion of your work is not representative of that of
other committers or of the project as a whole. What's more, while I
may disagree with some of the choices you made in the course of your
work, I do not disapprove of your work in general. You should not
view my criticism of the umtx interface as more than what it is:
criticism of one small part of your work from one single developer.

In closing, I'd like to ask you to reconsider your decision to leave
the project. I don't think it's in anybody's interest to have you
leave; and whatever you may think of me, it was certainly not what I
intended when I started looking at libthr.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - d...@des.no

Anton Karpov

Mar 30, 2006, 6:21:18 AM3/30/06
to David Xu, co...@freeebsd.org, cur...@freebsd.org, cur...@freebsd.or
2006/3/30, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <d...@des.no>:

> David Xu <dav...@freebsd.org> writes:
> > I will go away today due to some unpleasant person attack to me, in
> > the past, I have made lots of work in FreeBSD threading work, this
> > includes kernel threading in earlier stage and thread libraries

David, your work was greatly appreciated by all FreeBSD users.
Please, do not leave FreeBSD development. Give peace a chance.

Anton Karpov

Mar 30, 2006, 6:29:37 AM3/30/06
to cur...@freebsd.org
2006/3/30, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <d...@des.no>:

> David Xu <dav...@freebsd.org> writes:
> > I will go away today due to some unpleasant person attack to me, in
> > the past, I have made lots of work in FreeBSD threading work, this
> > includes kernel threading in earlier stage and thread libraries

David, your work is greatly appreciated by all FreeBSD users.

Please, do not leave FreeBSD development. Give peace a chance.

David Xu

Mar 30, 2006, 9:34:50 AM3/30/06
to Dag-Erling Smørgrav, co...@freeebsd.org, cur...@freebsd.org
在 Thursday 30 March 2006 18:55,Dag-Erling Smørgrav å
†™é “:

> David Xu <dav...@freebsd.org> writes:
> > I will go away today due to some unpleasant person attack to me, in
> > the past, I have made lots of work in FreeBSD threading work, this
> > includes kernel threading in earlier stage and thread libraries
> > later, and gdb support for these new thread libraries from kernel to
> > userland everywhere, spent lots of time to work in libpthread, and
> > later make libthr to be best performance library for mysql and
> > possible other applications developed on Linux and make it run on
> > most platforms we current support.
>
> I've been reading and re-reading the relevant threads on -threads,
> -current and -developers. The more I read, the less I understand.
>
> At the tail end of two days spent immersed in libthr, I sniped at you
> on -committers. That was wrong. I understand that you were insulted.
> I compounded my mistake by not apologizing immediately. I'm not
> trying to defend that.
>
> To spell it out plainly, for the record: David, what I wrote to you on
> -committers was unfair and unprofessional, and I apologize.
>
> However, I do not understand how things developed from there. I tried
> to start a technical discussion with you on -threads, explaining what
> I thought was wrong with libthr, hoping that you would understand my
> concerns, and hoping to work with you to correct and improve the code.
> This did not work out. Perhaps you had already made up your mind to
> leave; perhaps you were too hurt to read anything but insult into
> anything I wrote.

I didn't have idea to leave the project just before your rush, I was
discussing with deischen@ about versioning things, and libc bump etcs.
and I wanted to get an approve from re@ to merge rtld locking from -HEAD
to RELENG_6 for libthr, I was still improving libthr, that's not even a fin
al
shape, e.g, I had planned to implement C++ object destruction safe with
pthread_exit(), and implement a structure based not pointer based
pthread synchronization objects, can be shared between processes,
current FreeBSD does not support these, but other systems do!

of course, I am not satisfied with current umtx interface, I do know, I even
want to recreate a whole new interfaces to make things more clean,
I talked about lwp mutex which supports robustness and priority propagating,
the current umtx will be outaged, deischen@ should know this, I had
a private communication with him.

but your words really hurt me, you meant I should go back and study
CS lesson again ? this is definitly an insult.
I graduated from Computer Science in college in 1993 summer, my first
programming language is Pascal learned in 1989, second is C, and third
is X86 assemble language, I studied how to operate a computer on VAX 8200
system, I still remember its green character on terminal and longer command
line than unix did, I also use unix system which to learn shell script,
I learned programming on PC, there is Apple II in lab, but I dislike it, PC
is
8088 based, only has 640K memory, but can run turbo C and Borland C++ etcs,
I wrote some very funny code, TSR, TUI (better than current
ugly freebsd installer!) my graduation task is to mannually setup a micro
processor using very simple chips and hundred of physical lines, and use
switch to input micro code and data and strobe it into the chips, and run t
he
program and print data on LED.
I learned how to programming in protect mode by 32 bit dos emulator,
figure out how to implement a GUI system, rectangle clipping, layer and foc
us
management, 2D graphics clipping, etcs, the code is still on my old CD.
I touched Linux at 1997, used to be a system manager and a programmer,
needn't to day, linux's ealier version has serious performance problem unde
load, so I went to FreeBSD, and met julian on net, started work on KSE.
The KSE work was started from zero, nobody knows how to make a full threaded
system, it was a very hard time, there was debate and rush, this made us
very bad, I don't want to say more. I picked up libthr and a rotted umtx
interface, try to make other peoples to believe that M:N might be not a rig
ht
way to go, as I know it is very diffcult to make it SMP friendly, it's my
personal view, because I tried to implement a SMP scheduler and got the
feeling, I also fixed some stability bugs in ULE scheduler. I may be totall
wrong.

> I am not trying to rush you, as you implied, and I would not commit my
> patch without your approval; if I did, I'd be out on my arse faster
> than you can say "backout war", and with good reason.
>
> My initial impulse was to tell you to grow a thicker skin. I'm not
> going to say that, because it's stupid and insensitive. What I'm
> going to say, instead, is this: I am only one of several hundred
> FreeBSD developers. I have no special position or authority in the
> project. My opinion of your work is not representative of that of
> other committers or of the project as a whole. What's more, while I
> may disagree with some of the choices you made in the course of your
> work, I do not disapprove of your work in general. You should not
> view my criticism of the umtx interface as more than what it is:
> criticism of one small part of your work from one single developer.
>
> In closing, I'd like to ask you to reconsider your decision to leave
> the project. I don't think it's in anybody's interest to have you
> leave; and whatever you may think of me, it was certainly not what I
> intended when I started looking at libthr.
>
> DES
> --

> Dag-Erling Smørgrav - d...@des.no

see above, I am in a bad mood, I don't know when I will return, wish you can
work better without me, I beg pardon if some mistakes I made and some
words I said here brought inconvince to you and all other people.

Best wishes to all FreeBSD people.

David Xu

Erich Dollansky

Mar 30, 2006, 10:09:51 AM3/30/06
to David Xu, co...@freeebsd.org, cur...@freebsd.org
Hi David,

David Xu wrote:

> I will go away today due to some unpleasant person attack to me, in the past,

let me tell you about a conversation I have had recently with a Chinese.
He wondered how people with a different social background handle things
like this.

He learned that a situation which makes Chinese mortal enemies for at
least a year makes people having a beer on the very next day if they
come from a different background.

He learned this with his own experience.

> because the work load was large, I admit I have made some coding
> mistakes which some people think it is serious while other don't think so,

People who criticize you do no mistakes?

> made to me is very harmful, I feel I can not recover from such disaster,

What disaster?

Did you do some work for that big software company known for their
'open' software?

Take a break!

Erich

Andre Guibert de Bruet

Mar 30, 2006, 10:33:32 AM3/30/06
to David Xu, cur...@freebsd.org

On Mar 30, 2006, at 9:32 AM, David Xu wrote:
> see above, I am in a bad mood, I don't know when I will return,
> wish you can
> work better without me, I beg pardon if some mistakes I made and some
> words I said here brought inconvince to you and all other people.
>
> Best wishes to all FreeBSD people.

David,

I have been following your commits for quite a while and I must say
that I am impressed not only by your threading knowledge but also by
your C skill. I am very grateful for all of the hours you (and
everyone) have spent improving my favorite operating system. I
realize that at times, lack of positive feedback from the user base
feels like you're rowing upstream. At the end of the day, the fact
remains that you picked up one of the most neglected parts of the
system and MADE A DIFFERENCE. My hat goes off to you.

Andy

/* Andre Guibert de Bruet * 6f43 6564 7020 656f 2e74 4220 7469 6a20 */
/* Code poet / Sysadmin * 636f 656b 2e79 5320 7379 6461 696d 2e6e */
/* GSM: +1 734 846 8758 * 5520 494e 2058 6c73 7565 6874 002e 0000 */
/* WWW: siliconlandmark.com * C/C++, Perl, PHP, SQL, XHTML, XML */

Sergey Matveychuk

Mar 30, 2006, 11:06:33 AM3/30/06
to David Xu, Dag-Erling Smørgrav, co...@freeebsd.org, cur...@freebsd.org
David Xu wrote:
> see above, I am in a bad mood, I don't know when I will return, wish you can
> work better without me, I beg pardon if some mistakes I made and some
> words I said here brought inconvince to you and all other people.

David, you just tired. Take a rest. Don't make a quick decision.

Nobody doubt your skills. Dag was on an emotional side and he was wrong,
but he apologized, so let's go forward and will not see backward.

Take a rest for a week or more and then back and make you decision what
to do. Anyway we'll respect it.

Thank you for your huge work.
--
Sem.

Scott Robbins

Mar 30, 2006, 11:23:41 AM3/30/06
to freebsd...@freebsd.org

Dan Cojocar

Mar 30, 2006, 11:37:02 AM3/30/06
to David Xu, cur...@freebsd.org, Sergey Matveychuk
On 3/30/06, Sergey Matveychuk <s...@freebsd.org> wrote:
> David Xu wrote:
> > see above, I am in a bad mood, I don't know when I will return, wish yo
u can
> > work better without me, I beg pardon if some mistakes I made and some
> > words I said here brought inconvince to you and all other people.
>
> David, you just tired. Take a rest. Don't make a quick decision.
>
> Nobody doubt your skills. Dag was on an emotional side and he was wrong,
> but he apologized, so let's go forward and will not see backward.
>
> Take a rest for a week or more and then back and make you decision what
> to do. Anyway we'll respect it.
>
> Thank you for your huge work.

Hello David,
I'm not in position to give you advices, i know you only from your
work on src and from the mailing list messages and you are a great
developer, but like Sergey Matveychuk and other great members of
freebsd community are saying please reconsider, don't make rush
decision, give us as a community another chance.
Dan

Joao Barros

Mar 30, 2006, 1:19:48 PM3/30/06
to Adam Retter, freebsd...@freebsd.org, freebsd...@freebsd.org
On 3/30/06, Adam Retter <ad...@adamretter.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> Who attacked him, can we not give them a kicking ;-)

At most a kick on IRC since the person in question is also a valid
FreeBSD developer.
I read most of -current, -stable, -hackers, -cvsall as well as some
other FreeBSD lists and sometimes I read someone's comment and think:
"That was totally unnecessary..."
But people are all not the same and we have our good days and our bad days.
I guess David was on a bad day when Dag wrote what he wrote, on a bad
day himself.
I have been accompanying David and Dag's work and both are important
and needed and have their credit for, no doubt about it.

David, Dag has done the more difficult part: recognizing and
apologizing. From there, forgiving is easy ;-)

Can't we all just code along? :-D

--
Joao Barros

Patrick Tracanelli

Mar 30, 2006, 1:44:26 PM3/30/06
to freebsd...@freebsd.org, freebsd...@freebsd.org
Joao Barros wrote:
> On 3/30/06, Adam Retter <ad...@adamretter.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Who attacked him, can we not give them a kicking ;-)
>

> At most a kick on IRC since the person in question is also a valid
> FreeBSD developer.
> I read most of -current, -stable, -hackers, -cvsall as well as some
> other FreeBSD lists and sometimes I read someone's comment and think:
> "That was totally unnecessary..."
> But people are all not the same and we have our good days and our bad days.
> I guess David was on a bad day when Dag wrote what he wrote, on a bad
> day himself.
> I have been accompanying David and Dag's work and both are important
> and needed and have their credit for, no doubt about it.
>
> David, Dag has done the more difficult part: recognizing and
> apologizing. From there, forgiving is easy ;-)
>
> Can't we all just code along? :-D

I completly do agree with every single statement Joao has made. It could
have been kept on private mailing list. From what it looks like for
people like me, when-possible contributor and every-day-user, It seems
to be just a simple "work" discussion, like those ones which usually
happen one day or one other in everywhere there is work getting done by
more than one person, a cooperative working-style discussion on what is
good and what can be done in different (hopefully better) way.

Accepting and interpreting suggestions as well as suggesting on a
non-rude manner is something that everyone one day fail, in their busy
heavy days. No big deal, It is human nature.

Anyway, everyone who follows cvs-all@ is very thankfull for what David
has done everyday in the system, and probably will appreciate a lot more
if Mr. Xu decide to keep doing the good work, improving what he has
noted himself that should be improved and work together with others to
improve things that more than one brain could probably get better
results than only a single one.

Hope you stay.

Osho in one of his books usually say that apologizing is a difficult
decision, apologizing honestly is even more difficult and rare. And do
not accepting the honest apollogies is a severe decision and as such,
comes with a lot of consequences.

--
Patrick Tracanelli

David Xu

Mar 30, 2006, 7:16:26 PM3/30/06
to Erich Dollansky, co...@freeebsd.org, cur...@freebsd.org
在 Thursday 30 March 2006 23:05,Erich Dollansky 写道:

> Hi David,
>
> David Xu wrote:
> >
> > I will go away today due to some unpleasant person attack to me, in the

past,

> let me tell you about a conversation I have had recently with a Chinese.

> He wondered how people with a different social background handle things
> like this.
>
> He learned that a situation which makes Chinese mortal enemies for at
> least a year makes people having a beer on the very next day if they
> come from a different background.
>
> He learned this with his own experience.
>
> > because the work load was large, I admit I have made some coding
> > mistakes which some people think it is serious while other don't think
so,

> People who criticize you do no mistakes?
>
> > made to me is very harmful, I feel I can not recover from such disaster
,

> What disaster?
>
> Did you do some work for that big software company known for their
> 'open' software?
>
> Take a break!
>
> Erich

Thanks for you encourage, the disaster is my skill was doubted and insulted
and I may lose job opportunity, this can kill me if it is widely spreaded.

Regards,
David Xu

Julian Elischer

Mar 30, 2006, 7:33:44 PM3/30/06
to David Xu, co...@freeebsd.org, Erich Dollansky, cur...@freebsd.org
David Xu wrote:

>Thanks for you encourage, the disaster is my skill was doubted and insulted
>and I may lose job opportunity, this can kill me if it is widely spreaded.

David, should it ever come to wanting a reference, there will always be
100 of us standing
in line attesting to your ability to work deeply in the heart of
something with mind-numbing
complexity (e.g signals+threads).

John Widenoja

Mar 30, 2006, 7:36:19 PM3/30/06
to David Xu, co...@freeebsd.org, Erich Dollansky, cur...@freebsd.org
>> Thanks for you encourage, the disaster is my skill was doubted and insulted
>> and I may lose job opportunity, this can kill me if it is widely spreaded.
>>
>> Regards,
>> David Xu

David,
While I am but a lowly, but extremely appreciative, user of FreeBSD, I
still would like to respond to your very real concern.

No worthwhile employer or group will view the total of these posts and
believe that your skills or integrity are in doubt. No worthwhile
employer or group will view only a portion of the posts.

Thank you for your contributions to my favorite operating system.

John Widenoja
Christmas Valley, Oregon

Mike Jakubik

Mar 30, 2006, 7:42:22 PM3/30/06
David Xu wrote:
> Thanks for you encourage, the disaster is my skill was doubted and insulted
> and I may lose job opportunity, this can kill me if it is widely spreaded.

Don't get me wrong here, like many other users, i would not like to see
FreeBSD loose another coder. But seriously, what employer follows
technical mailing lists of open source OSs? And what coder has not been
ridiculed by some other coder?

Daniel Eischen

Mar 30, 2006, 7:49:56 PM3/30/06
to Mike Jakubik, cur...@freebsd.org, co...@freeebsd.org, David Xu, Erich Dollansky
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Mike Jakubik wrote:

> David Xu wrote:
> > Thanks for you encourage, the disaster is my skill was doubted and insulted
> > and I may lose job opportunity, this can kill me if it is widely spreaded.
> >

> Don't get me wrong here, like many other users, i would not like to see
> FreeBSD loose another coder. But seriously, what employer follows
> technical mailing lists of open source OSs? And what coder has not been
> ridiculed by some other coder?

Just accept that there are different cultures. And if your
employer is basing products on, or heavily using, FreeBSD...

--
DE

Danny Pansters

Mar 30, 2006, 7:51:03 PM3/30/06
On Friday 31 March 2006 02:13, David Xu wrote:
> ÔÚ Thursday 30 March 2006 23:05£¬Erich Dollansky дµÀ£
º

Well it just may be that the eye of the beholder isn't that clear at all. I

think you're viewing all this in a much too modest way, it may be a cultura
difference. I think instead you should take the stance that with your work

things work and without it doesn't and is there anyone as qualified as you

who w/could suggest another way? (answer will be a long silence mostly).

How come you're so insecure? Everything points to that. Why? You know much

more than most of us do. The people paying you should know better than to
judge you based on what people _not_ paying you are saying (even if those a
re
right. then you can adapt, no? that's what open source is about, and maybe

you'll finally get the feedback you always wanted in the process -- I said
we
were short of people, we're even more short of feedback generally).

Also, kudos to DES who I think handled the damage control as best as possib
le.
Well done there.

Take a vacation David, and then just come back, that would be my advice if

anyone cares ;-)

(and yeah I can be a prick ever so often by my own device, and feel ashamed

for it later. people are people)

Dan

Erich Dollansky

Mar 30, 2006, 9:03:35 PM3/30/06

David Xu wrote:

> Thanks for you encourage, the disaster is my skill was doubted and insulted
> and I may lose job opportunity, this can kill me if it is widely spreaded.

the Bavarian method is to get this:

http://www.bayerische-bierstrasse.de/rund_ums_bier/pics/bierkrug.jpg

Drink it and then bang the glass - which is pretty heavy - onto their heads.

I think that every serious person will understand what you did. Just
forget about the others.

How would the world look like if the loudest would rule always?

They already rule way to much.

Erich

kravnus wolf

Mar 30, 2006, 9:19:43 PM3/30/06
to cur...@freebsd.org
David,

Making mistakes are just apart of a programmer's
life. No matter how good including the giants they do
tend to make mistakes. Can we dare make a claim like
Donald E Knuth? He made the claim after vigorous
testing on his software. Yet he still place prize
money for catching the bugs in his software.

Sometimes the worst thing a programmer is having
wrong vision or direction. But that is not the case
here. Heck, security programs always have problems but
does that stop the user from using them? Your
contribution is great*all that longs hours reading and
writing code during your time*. I do hope that you
contribute in some other developments out there.

Best wishes,
John Chung

http://mail.yahoo.com

Peter Kieser

Mar 31, 2006, 1:53:56 AM3/31/06
David Xu wrote:
> ÔÚ Thursday 30 March 2006 23:05£¬Erich Dollansky дµÀ£
º

>> Hi David,
>>
>> What disaster?
>>
>> Did you do some work for that big software company known for their
>> 'open' software?
>>
>> Take a break!
>>
>> Erich
>>

> Thanks for you encourage, the disaster is my skill was doubted and insu
lted
> and I may lose job opportunity, this can kill me if it is widely spread
ed.

> Regards,
> David Xu

David,

People make mistakes, all the time. You move on from them, and learn
from them.. Your employer (or future employer) should understand this,
or they are not someone you should work for. The work you have done for
FreeBSD in the past (and hopefully the future) is some of the hardest
parts of code to work on, and we commend you for your effort to do so.

Over the past years (6?) lurking on the mailing lists, I have seen much
worse personal attacks occur then this one -- I have seen the core team
change (and some say for better or worse?), and I have tried to stay
objective. You are needed, and wanted on the team. You do not have a
large ego, and mostly stay in the background with your work.

I urge you to stay. I am quite impressed by your work..

Add oil,

--Peter

David Xu

Mar 31, 2006, 3:25:15 AM3/31/06
to Dag-Erling Smørgrav, co...@freeebsd.org, cur...@freebsd.org
在 Thursday 30 March 2006 18:55,Dag-Erling Smørgrav Wro
te:

> At the tail end of two days spent immersed in libthr, I sniped at you
> on -committers. That was wrong. I understand that you were insulted.
> I compounded my mistake by not apologizing immediately. I'm not
> trying to defend that.
>
> To spell it out plainly, for the record: David, what I wrote to you on
> -committers was unfair and unprofessional, and I apologize.
>
> However, I do not understand how things developed from there. I tried
> to start a technical discussion with you on -threads, explaining what
> I thought was wrong with libthr, hoping that you would understand my
> concerns, and hoping to work with you to correct and improve the code.
> This did not work out. Perhaps you had already made up your mind to
> leave; perhaps you were too hurt to read anything but insult into
> anything I wrote.
>
> I am not trying to rush you, as you implied, and I would not commit my
> patch without your approval; if I did, I'd be out on my arse faster
> than you can say "backout war", and with good reason.

I accept your apology, it is not my intention to keep so long time without
an clear answer, I just was a bit sad.
I received lots of mail (many are in private), thanks everyone who sent mai
to me and gave me very good comments, most are encouragement,
philosophic ideas.

Regards,
David Xu