Re: Problems with Ribbon enabled Add-In

Govert van Drimmelen

Jan 2, 2013, 11:15:56 AM1/2/13
to Excel-DNA
Hi,

If the add-in is loading (put in a simple function to check), but the
ribbon part not, I suggest the following:

1. Check for Disabled Add-Ins: File->Options->Add-Ins->Manage:
Disabled Items.
2. Check the Excel security settings. Loading of COM add-ins depends
on other settings than the plain .xll, so maybe something has changed
there.
3. Check whether the sample ribbons work - taking the .dna files in
Distribution\Samples\Ribbon.
4. Check your add-in on another machine.

That should at least noarrow the problem down a bit.

Regards,
Govert

On Jan 2, 4:43 pm, Recoil <rec...@arcor.de> wrote:
> Hi and a happy new Year,
>
> I'm using ExcelDNA 0.30 stable, Excel 2010 (32Bit) on a Win7 (64Bit)
> machine.
> I've wrote an Add-In class in VB.NET (VSExpress 2012), which inherits
> ExcelRibbon.
>
> Everything's works fine until the mid of last December. Probably the date
> doesn't matter ;-)
>
> Now, I can't see the Ribbon and contextmenues anymore.
> Excel says nothing, except some "ExcelDna.Loader.DnaMarshalException" and
> "System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException" in mscorlib.dll
> and ExcelDna.Integration.
>
> I've testet some older versions of my Add-In but I get the same behaviour.
> I'm wondering.
>
> I tried to start a new Add-In Project and installed the ExcelDNA through
> the NuGet Packetmanager and with a minimal XML-output from the
> overridden GetCustomUI function.
>
> The same result. No Ribbon appears. :-(
>
> So, I'm a little bit despaired and I hope, some one can help me, please.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> P.S.: Sorry for my terrible English.
>        The Ribbon-Class is ComVisible, I'm compiling for x86 and the NEW
> procedure is invoked.

Govert van Drimmelen

Jan 2, 2013, 3:27:44 PM1/2/13
to Excel-DNA
You check that you can add a registry key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER
\Software\Classes, but newest Excel-DNA should show a message.

Maybe look for other security software on that machine.

Do other (non Excel-DNA) ribbon add-ins work on that Excel?

-Govert

On Jan 2, 7:06 pm, Recoil <rec...@arcor.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thank you for your quick reply.
> Meantime I've checked all Samples relating to RibbonUI. What I discovered
> is, that all .dna Files which "inherits" ExcelRibbon doesn't work.
> Only the Commandbars examples are working as expected. Strange.
> The security settings seems to be ok and not really changed as far as I can
> see. Playing with some settings takes no effect.
> Additionally I've checked the Samples in 0.29 with the same effect.
> In my add-in I have a simple UDF and a simple class which inherite the
> ExcelRibbon.
> The UDF part works fine, and in ribbon class the Constructor is executed
> what I discovered when I set a breakpoint at the end of sub NEW().
> Only the function GetCustomUI isn't called.
>
> I can't understand this strage behaviour.
> I really love ExcelDNA and I want to use it further but I need the CustomUI.
>
> Do you have any other ideas?
> Thank you very much in advace.
>
> Kind regards
>
> P.S.: I've tested the AddIn and the Samples on the computer of my colleague
> and they're working!
>          The security setting in the Excel-Security-Center are the same
> (what I can see).
>          A difference between both computers is probably the dotNet
> Version. On my Computer is 4.5 installed and as far as I know 4.0 on the
> other. May this be a problem?
>          Are there other security settings which have effect on the
> RibbonUI/CustomUI ???

Govert van Drimmelen

Jan 3, 2013, 4:11:31 AM1/3/13
to Excel-DNA
Hi Recoil,

Just to confirm - you have nothing under Disabled Items?

That's the only other thing I can think of...

-Govert

On Jan 3, 10:33 am, Recoil <rec...@arcor.de> wrote:
> Good Morning :-)
>
> Thank your for your reply.
>
> Yes, I can add and remove a Key and/or a value
> beneath  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes and Excel-DNA shows no Message
> and there is no ExcelDNA related Key. Benath HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT the same.
>
> Other non-ExcelDNA (COM) Addins shows their Ribbons as expected.
> I have Kapersky Anti-Virus (6.0.4.1424) on my computer, my collegue too.
>
> I've tried the MS CustomUIEditor with a XLS File, inserted the sample code,
> save and it is displayed as expected, too.
>
> So, this behaviour occurs from one build to another and stays persistently.
>
> I have no clue of the reason why. I'm extreme-googling but found nothing.
>
> Do you have any other ideas?
>
> Kind regards
> Recoil

Yogesh Jagota

Jul 9, 2014, 1:21:05 PM7/9/14
to exce...@googlegroups.com
Hello Fernando,

I was searching since evening to find a solution to this problem but couldn't. I found this thread and your fix worked like a charm.

Thanks a lot,

Regards,
Yogesh

rlaa...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2015, 11:58:13 AM2/4/15
to exce...@googlegroups.com
I came across this issue myself.  After searching for quite some time, I found that the disabled item only appears during a debugging session.  It must be re-enabled while in debug mode in order to reactive it.  Just putting a note out here in case anyone else runs into this situation.