leak?

rogerdpack

Jul 5, 2010, 12:11:16 PM7/5/10
to EventMachine
Hi all. Noticed there might be an EM related leak mentioned here:

Just pointing it out in case anybody were interested.
Cheers!
-r

James Tucker

Jul 5, 2010, 12:41:26 PM7/5/10
to eventm...@googlegroups.com

http://gist.github.com/464518

The above seems to work fine on -head, although I do see the leak with Thin on head. Ask Marc?

Eric Wong

Jul 13, 2010, 5:50:42 PM7/13/10
to eventm...@googlegroups.com
James Tucker <jftu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2010, at 17:11, rogerdpack wrote:
>
> > Hi all. Noticed there might be an EM related leak mentioned here:
> >
> > http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/show/3466 Just pointing it out
> > in case anybody were interested. Cheers! -r
>
> http://gist.github.com/464518
>
> The above seems to work fine on -head, although I do see the leak with
> Thin on head. Ask Marc?

Another data point, I can reproduce this using EventMachine with
Rainbows! 0.95.1 but not with other concurrency models such as
Rev or FiberSpawn (but I did find something odd with ThreadSpawn
which appears to be a Ruby bug :x)

I've tested with 1.9.2-rc2 on x86_64 and EM 0.12.10

--
Eric Wong

James Tucker

Jul 13, 2010, 6:57:22 PM7/13/10
to eventm...@googlegroups.com

Does the bug hide with 1.8?

Would you be able to save me some time and isolate the parser and see if it's occurring there?

> --
> Eric Wong

James Tucker

Jul 13, 2010, 7:26:48 PM7/13/10
to eventm...@googlegroups.com

On 13 Jul 2010, at 22:50, Eric Wong wrote:

http://gist.github.com/474732

Seems to be stable on 1.9 actually.

Trying to create a minimal case for EM that replicates this, but failing.

James Tucker

Jul 13, 2010, 7:49:18 PM7/13/10
to eventm...@googlegroups.com

On 13 Jul 2010, at 22:50, Eric Wong wrote:

Apologies for the spam, reproduced as a standalone test, I will publish details once I've paired this back.

James Tucker

Jul 13, 2010, 9:34:50 PM7/13/10
to eventm...@googlegroups.com

On 13 Jul 2010, at 22:50, Eric Wong wrote:

I've now updated the ticket on rubys redmine, this is a leak in ruby 1.9 with Kernel#method. Can you confirm this is the source of your leak too Eric?

http://gist.github.com/474864

Regards,

James

Eric Wong

Jul 13, 2010, 9:46:42 PM7/13/10
to eventm...@googlegroups.com
James Tucker <jftu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've now updated the ticket on rubys redmine, this is a leak in ruby 1.9 with Kernel#method. Can you confirm this is the source of your leak too Eric?
>
> http://gist.github.com/474864

Yup, I can reproduce this under 1.9.2-rc2 but not 1.9.1-p378.
Thanks for isolating this, James!

--
Eric Wong

Emmanuel Oga

Jul 13, 2010, 10:38:21 PM7/13/10
to eventm...@googlegroups.com

  ditto, tested it in both

   ruby-1.9.1-p378 [ x86_64 ]
   ruby-1.9.2-preview3 [ x86_64 ]

  only 1.9.2 leaked (and damn fast, about 2gb in a couple of seconds!)

--
Eric Wong

EmmanuelOga.com - Software Developer