In Enlive alive?

John Szakmeister

May 30, 2012, 6:03:57 AM5/30/12
to enliv...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the lame question, but I'd like to understand where Enlive
is currently. It looks like there was an attempt at working towards a
1.2.0 release a year ago, but that's died down. And there are a
couple of things on master that would be nice to have. Are there any
intentions of releasing another version of Enlive? Just curious more
than anything. I really like it for putting dynamic data into a
static design.

-John

Christophe Grand

May 30, 2012, 5:59:33 PM5/30/12
to enliv...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The question is legitimate since I've had little time to make Enlive progress.
Do I still have plans for Enlive's future? Yes. Are they the same as the 1.2 I hinted to at some point? No.
In the interim, I'm open to (agreed upon) patches.

I'm recovering bandwith but I have one big ball to get rolling (source code transformations/refactoring backend) before coming back to Enlive and Moustache.

The next Enlive will not be plug compatible with the current Enlive and thus will live in its own namespace.
Planned easy changes :
* ternary rhythm (selector data transformation) instead of the current binary one (selector transformation). This will limit the "closure noise" on the transformation side, make he template more declarative towards data sources.
* clone-for won't be needed anymore
* lockstep transforms will become the default
* public automaton/selector API
* support for options (parser, encoding, etc.)

Need more hammock time:
* cljs integration, beyond templating

Before starting this work, I'd like to hear about all the paper (or even chainsaw) cuts that you all enlive users encountered or still encounter.

Christophe

-John

Professional: http://cgrand.net/ (fr)
On Clojure: http://clj-me.cgrand.net/ (en)

--
Professional: http://cgrand.net/ (fr)
On Clojure: http://clj-me.cgrand.net/ (en)

John Szakmeister

May 31, 2012, 4:28:41 AM5/31/12
to enliv...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Christophe Grand <chris...@cgrand.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The question is legitimate since I've had little time to make Enlive
> progress.
> Do I still have plans for Enlive's future? Yes. Are they the same as the 1.2
> I hinted to at some point? No.

That sounds pretty fair to me. :-) As the author, you're certainly
allowed to change direction.

> In the interim, I'm open to (agreed upon) patches.

Yep.

> I'm recovering bandwith but I have one big ball to get rolling (source code
> transformations/refactoring backend) before coming back to Enlive and
> Moustache.

Sounds intriguing!

> The next Enlive will not be plug compatible with the current Enlive and thus
> will live in its own namespace.
> Planned easy changes :
> * ternary rhythm (selector data transformation) instead of the current
> binary one (selector transformation). This will limit the "closure noise" on
> the transformation side, make he template more declarative towards data
> sources.
> * clone-for won't be needed anymore
> * lockstep transforms will become the default
> * public automaton/selector API
> * support for options (parser, encoding, etc.)

Nice!

> Need more hammock time:
> * cljs integration, beyond templating
>
> Before starting this work, I'd like to hear about all the paper (or even
> chainsaw) cuts that you all enlive users encountered or still encounter.

To be honest, my needs have been pretty small and the current Enlive
does the job with the exception of the laziness fix (it's in master
already, but there's no "release" containing it). I think my biggest
issue has been more centered around organizing data, and trying to
keep parts of the system focused on their tasks, while getting all the
data that needs to be rendered fed into the template. I don't think
that's an Enlive problem though, just my problem. :-)

Thanks for the information Christophe!

-John

PS I've been reading your book... very well written. Myself and
several other folks at work have really been enjoying it.

Christophe Grand

May 31, 2012, 6:45:32 AM5/31/12
to enliv...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:28 AM, John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net> wrote:
To be honest, my needs have been pretty small and the current Enlive
does the job with the exception of the laziness fix (it's in master
already, but there's no "release" containing it).

Oh, I also need to set up Travis CI or something!

PS  I've been reading your book... very well written.  Myself and
several other folks at work have really been enjoying it.

Thanks!

Christophe

Sergey Didenko

May 31, 2012, 4:29:00 PM5/31/12
to enliv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christophe,

thank you for your work! Your plans sound very interesting.

About what I would like to see - a more concise way to tell "take the
first item matching this selector, remove all other matching items and
use the first one for cloning".

The current way to do it is to define a separate snippet for that
first item and remove all the items before cloning that snippet in
another snippet. I think it could be more concise without having to
define an auxiliary snippet for every case like this.

Just my 2 cents. (I'm using the stable version)

Regards, Sergey.

Joe Snikeris

May 31, 2012, 10:51:28 PM5/31/12
to enliv...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Sergey Didenko
<sergey....@gmail.com> wrote:
> About what I would like to see - a more concise way to tell "take the
> first item matching this selector, remove all other matching items and
> use the first one for cloning".

+1

This is useful when your templates also serve as sample pages.

Christophe Grand

Jun 4, 2012, 9:42:04 AM6/4/12
to enliv...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:28 AM, John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net> wrote:
> To be honest, my needs have been pretty small and the current Enlive
> does the job with the exception of the laziness fix (it's in master
> already, but there's no "release" containing it).

Enlive 1.0.1 with the laziness fix now available in a .m2 near you!

John Szakmeister

Jun 4, 2012, 5:08:26 PM6/4/12
to enliv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Christophe!