Tagging and Searching Plone Content from Constrained Vocabularies

Adam Terrey (PretaWeb)

Nov 7, 2011, 2:32:53 PM11/7/11
to eea-facete...@googlegroups.com, dj...@pretaweb.com
Hi,

It was good to meet you guys at PloneConf Sprint today - your product is really interesting and helpful for us, below is the question from stack overflow I was referring to, are you able to comment on it?

djay wrote (http://bit.ly/rKzbGN):

I want to let my editors tag content on several orthogonal vocabularies and then have a nice search interface that lets users search for the content based on those vocabularies. It seems too parts of the solution exist

  • ATVocabularyManager - lets editors create different vocabularies
  • eea.facetednavigation - lets editors connect up ATVocabularyManger vocabs to a search panel

What is missing a way to add a new fields to the catagorisation tab of certain content types and have these constrained by the vocabularies. and have these values stored and indexed so they can be searched.

I know I can do this in code, but I'm hoping for something TTW so editors can add more ways to categorise if they want to. I'm pretty sure there must be a plugin out there to solve this already, but so far haven't found it. I'm pretty sure dexterity schema editor would solve this problem but I need this for the existing Plone content types.

So wondering

Dylan Jay

Nov 7, 2011, 8:52:37 PM11/7/11
to eea-facete...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

As a little more background, I've looked at all the plugins I could
find but didn't find any that would just give me multiple facets
without using schemaextender or creating my content type.
So I propose the following, and I just wanted to make sure there isn't
a better way to do this and if anyone else interested in working on
this?

Let's call it collective.tagvocabularies (?) or tagfacets?

It's aim will be to allow multiple different categories of keywords to
be entered into existing Plone content via the existing Tags metadata
field and then be able to use plugins like FacetedNavigation to
display content as if the content was categorized by multiple
different facets. It will do this by dynamically providing many
different Vocabularies based on the unique values of the Keywords
index in Plone.

It will provide a control panel where you can enter a regular
expression. This re will be used on all keywords used on all content
to break it into facets. For example if all your tags are of the form
Animal-Fish, Colour-Blue your re would be

(?P<facet>[^\S]*)-(?P<value>[^\S]*)
Once installed Vocabularies for "Colour" and "Animal" are available to
be used anywhere including eea.facetednavigation. Any new tag added to
content will automatically become available in the vocabularies
(caching might be needed).

---
Dylan Jay
Technical Solutions Manager
PretaWeb: Multisite Performance Support
P: +612 80819071 | M: +61421477460 | twitter.com/djay75 | linkedin.com/
in/djay75

> --
> .
> .

Antonio De Marinis

Nov 8, 2011, 9:45:18 AM11/8/11
to eea-facete...@googlegroups.com, dj...@pretaweb.com
Dear Adam,

I am the product owner for eea.facetednavigation at the European Environment Agency.

What you are looking for and suggesting is indeed a valid use case and interesting functionality.

However it does not belongs directly into the eea.facetednavigation package, your requests are more related to the Plone CMS itself.
EEA Faceted Navigation is only supposed to use existing plone vocabularies and catalog indexes and configure TTW the facets to create a smart faceted search interface. The vocabularies management and content types schemas management and extension belongs to Plone CMS or other external packages.
Another package could be developed to let user TTW extend existing content schemas and i think this is what Plone 5 is aming too e.g. with dexterity ... but it is a big task certainly not in the scope of EEA faceted navigation.... I even think dexterity is way more than what you are asking for...
When such package is avaialble or when Plone 5 is out there we will be glad to support it of course.

regards
/Antonio De Marinis

Davi Lima

Nov 8, 2011, 12:23:20 PM11/8/11
to eea-facete...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

First I'd also like to thank you for the product, I think it is one of the most powerful in Plone and make discoverability much stronger for the CMS. I intend to use it on the new version of interlegis.leg.br which I should post here as soon as it gets online (about three months from now).

Regarding this thread, I wonder if this product couldn't be used together with eea.faceted: http://plone.org/products/collective.virtualtreecategories Has anyone ever tried it?

Best,
Davi Lima

Antonio De Marinis

Nov 9, 2011, 3:08:01 AM11/9/11
to eea-facete...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Davi,

Indeed, we had in mind to add a tree/taxonomi-like facet....it would really useful and there are certainly many use cases for it. we just have not had that urgency yet.

We will look at your suggestion. And any other support and contribution in this is welcome.

Kind regards
Antonio De Marinis

Dylan Jay

Nov 9, 2011, 6:04:39 PM11/9/11
to eea-facete...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The solution I posted doesn't require new schema to be added or
widgets to be changed.
It also doesn't require a new widget for facetednavigation.
Instead I thought we could achieve the same result by letting user
enter keywords in the normal metadata field using a hierarchy type
convention for instance Type-SubType. Then some system automatically
in the background turns that into multiple Vocabularies so
facetednavigation can work nicely.
Or alternately a new widget for facetnavigation that splits keyword
values into hierachies based on a simple pattern like "Type-Value" etc.

---
Dylan Jay
Technical Solutions Manager
PretaWeb: Multisite Performance Support
P: +612 80819071 | M: +61421477460 | twitter.com/djay75 | linkedin.com/
in/djay75

Jon Stahl

Nov 17, 2011, 11:52:28 PM11/17/11
to eea-facete...@googlegroups.com
Dylan-

If I read your messages correctly, you're putting your finger squarely
on a general "missing feature" in Plone: the ability to easily create
and manage hierarchical vocabularies TTW and to apply them to existing
and custom content objects. While I agree with Alin's assertion
earlier that eea.faceted is really about displaying and navigating
what's already available, I also agree with you that there is a big
gap in Plone's taxonomy story.

I really do think the time is right for someone to step up and be the
champion for a solid, well-architected, simple hierarachical taxonomy
solution for Plone, something that could be roughly (very roughly!)
equivalent to Drupal's taxonomy module. eea.faceted would then be
able to use this, along with any other Plone products that might be
appropriate. If done well, I think this would make an excellent
addition to Plone core, and I would recommend that it be tackled with
this goal in mind (and with architectural input from FWT members).

I wrote about this nearly four years ago
(http://jstahl.org/archives/2007/06/26/plone-taxonomy-revisted/) and
the specific implementation ideas there are probably no longer valid,
I think the underlying concept/scope of ambition are still pretty
valid.

Food for thought.... I think this would be a great convo for the
developers list, btw.

jon