Re: If penalised, approach courts in personal capacity, HC tells PIOs

REJIMON C K

Nov 5, 2010, 10:42:11 PM11/5/10
to Mahendra Kumar Gupta, dwarka-residents, nids...@gmail.com, ashok_chaitanya
this is certainly a good judgement and repurcussion. many cases could be rejected by Govt employees especially the DDA/MCD keep filing cases of thieir negligences in the courts. I dont know it applicable to outside RTI matter also?
Rejimon

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Mahendra Kumar Gupta <mkgup...@gmail.com> wrote:

If penalised, approach courts in personal capacity, HC tells PIOs

Creating a precedent, the Punjab and Haryana High Court has ruled that if the public information officer (PIO) of a department has been penalised by a State Information Commission on account of withholding information, the officer cannot appeal against the order through the state. The court has held that the PIO will have to approach the court in personal capacity.

In one such instance, the High Court has directed the Punjab government to withdraw a petition filed by it on behalf of K B S Sidhu, the then PIO of health department who had challenged a penalty imposed on him by the Punjab State Information Commission. A fine of Rs 25,000 was slapped on Sidhu in 2007 for not supplying information.

Ludhiana-based social activist Kuldip Singh Khaira had sought information under the Right to Information (RTI) Act from the health department with regard to rules drafted by its electro-homoeopathy wing. For not supplying information within the stipulated period, the State Information Commission had slapped a penalty of Rs 25,000 on

Sidhu, who challenged it before the High Court. During the resumed hearing, a single bench of the High Court refused to entertain the petition since the appeal against the penalty was filed by the state.

During the hearing last week, Advocate A P S Shergill, counsel for Khaira, raised the issue that a PIO could not appeal against an order through the state and should rather come in personal capacity. Shergill said the state machinery could not be put to use by a PIO for a penalty or strictures passed against him on account of dereliction

of duty. Finding merit in the contention, the High Court asked the Punjab government to withdraw the petition. Sidhu has been given the liberty to file a fresh petition in personal capacity.

--
REJIMON C K.
Each year 50million trees and 75 billion water is used to create 7  million tonnes of mail, over 40% of which is thrown away unopened. source : National Geographic so the next time you receive paper, think again  before you print. choose to receive emails instead .

Mahendra Kumar Gupta

Nov 5, 2010, 12:53:29 AM11/5/10
to dwarka-residents, nids...@gmail.com, ashok_chaitanya, Dwarka Forum(Regd)

sanjay baranwal

Nov 7, 2010, 12:02:12 AM11/7/10
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com, mkgup...@gmail.com, Dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com, nids...@gmail.com, ashok_c...@yahoo.co.in
It is an arm in the shot for RTI enthusiasts and a slap for PIOs because the latter can not use State's resource to defend him or cover up his negligence.

A majority of RTI applications do not get appropriate replies and hence deserve a reprimand/penalty by Information commissioners.

Regards
Sanjay

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 08:11:26 +0530 wrote

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Dwarka-residents?hl=en