Where and When should the next DrupalCamp be?

Roshan Shah

Aug 12, 2008, 1:26:17 AM8/12/08
to Drupal Camp India
When and where should the next Drupal Camp be? It should be now
outside Gujarat and community should decide on venue and date and we
can all plan ahead of time.

Yashesh Bhatia

Aug 12, 2008, 1:43:41 AM8/12/08
to drupalc...@googlegroups.com
Drupal Community:

Can we brainstorm on the requirements for holding such a Drupal Camp ?

Initial thoughts that come to mind are

- Should it be just a university campus or it could be a corporate
campus (like how Yahoo! Sponsored the OSCMS in 2007
http://2007.oscms-summit.org/)

- If corporate campus is acceptable what sort of real estate needs
would one envision - conference rooms, approx sizes (i.e. capacity),
wifi requirements,
power, airconditioning needs etc. (one could anticipate a 10% growth
from the current camp attendance)

- budgeting - would be a totally transparent process whereien the
community should work on a no profit model. So for example if the
venue is donated but
if they would incur power + connecitivity costs, these could be made
transparent.

- any extra balance amount (total registration income - costs) should
be donated back to the Drupal http://drupal.org/donate or given as
prize money to
deserving students who participate in code sprint and make a
valuable code contribution back to the drupal code

Any thoughts ?

Thanks.

Yashesh

Roshan Shah

Aug 12, 2008, 1:48:16 AM8/12/08
to drupalc...@googlegroups.com
+1 on transparency.

Rather than donate funds to drupal.org, best is to donate any left over funds(if any) to the next Drupal Camp organization committee in India. That way it helps fund local events

Roshan

Dipen

Aug 12, 2008, 4:11:30 AM8/12/08
to drupalc...@googlegroups.com
It will be good to have it funded by a coorp like Yahoo (they work on drupal btw) but personally I do not see it happening untill we build a community which has something to show and stands out in quality. I was having a discussion with my junior in college about the camp and I thought why not do it in VIT, Vellore. Let me tell you of my reasons of thinking why it will be a excellent venue (although i am just a alum now) :

1> Infrastructure would be free, VIT has many smart class rooms and auditoriums where on a average there are atleast 3 workshop/seminars that happen every week.
2> Infrastructure is world class. I have not been around the world, but we get lots of international students (full time) like 50 odd from germany, france, sweden taking full time courses and I've heard them praising the infrastructure. We had 400 chinese students last year in full time courses (not counting exchange students) . So its truly a international university and they have made sure that infrastructure is of that level for instance our labs had more than 4k computers when i left college.
3> Chennai is 2 hrs from vellore and bangalore is 4 hrs from vellore. We get a lot of industry people in all the conferences because of its strategic location. We've had IBM, HP, SUN, Collab Net, TCS, Infy, MS contributing in the conferences.
4> College itself has amazing co-orporate connections. We get more than 150 companies for placements with TCS alone recruiting 1100 students in 2 days.
5> Everything is managed by students with mentors from faculty if its technical event.
6> In terms of quality VIT has had technical/cultural festivals with budget more than 1 crore.
7> As for the co-orporate angle Its in the rumours that VIT's marketing budget is equivalent to HP india.
8> VIT has Business Incubators for getting students to start their company. IF we spark off ideas, people will be motivated to use such excellent facilities.

The above list is more on infrastructure side. On the event organization I had few ideas and why I think VIT will stand out :

1> We had many technical groups within college, we call them clubs .. Linux User Group, IEEE student chapter, CSI student chapter, ISTE, IEE and Special Interest groups (I was planning to organize Drupal SIG under LUG which I used to manage)
2> We were planning to give fare reimbursements to good student developers, so that we get maximum participation from students all over the country. When we save on infrastructure there are better ways to spend money.
3> As for accomodation we can work with institute to open guest houses for co-orporate persons and students and the fee is very less. Vellore itself has very good hotels at cheap prices (Its a small places)
4> We can get any lab even the main lab with 500 computers under one roof for code sprint.

These are few reasons I think VIT might be good, I personally believe infrastructure wise its better than many IIT's.
For more www.vit.ac.in

Thanks

Dipen Chaudhary
http://www.dipenchaudhary.com
http://playdrupal.com

Dipen

Aug 12, 2008, 4:43:05 AM8/12/08
to drupalc...@googlegroups.com
The most important thing is VIT has around 10,000 students with 2k associated with computers one way or the other.
Another thing I feel is gloscon's and Open kicks participation is important in good numbers if its outside ahmedabad to execute drupal developer resources.

About infrastructure : Follow links here ..  http://www.vit.ac.in/Infrastructure/ConferenceFacilities.asp

Aashish Solanki

Aug 12, 2008, 8:08:27 AM8/12/08
to Drupal Camp India
How about Bangalore? IISc / IIM / STPL

On Aug 12, 1:43 pm, Dipen <dipe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The most important thing is VIT has around 10,000 students with 2k
> associated with computers one way or the other.
> Another thing I feel is gloscon's and Open kicks participation is important
> in good numbers if its outside ahmedabad to execute drupal developer
> resources.
>
> About infrastructure : Follow links here ..http://www.vit.ac.in/Infrastructure/ConferenceFacilities.asp
>
> Dipen Chaudharyhttp://www.dipenchaudhary.comhttp://playdrupal.com
> > On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Roshan Shah <bpocan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> +1 on transparency.
>
> >> Rather than donate funds to drupal.org, best is to donate any left over
> >> funds(if any) to the next Drupal Camp organization committee in India. That
> >> way it helps fund local events
>
> >> Roshan

Dipen

Aug 12, 2008, 8:13:38 AM8/12/08
to drupalc...@googlegroups.com
IISc/IIM will be a good option, But do you know existing drupal community in these colleges ? IISc students might not be very much in organizing it. We need organization committe of atleats 20 students dedicated to make the even success. Also question is can we have 20 students from IIM and IISc working with their college to conduct this ? ?Universities colleges wont be interested if they do not see development of their college students and hence its imp to make them realize that.

Wikidkaka

Aug 15, 2008, 3:44:40 AM8/15/08
to Drupal Camp India
Aaaahhh.. I missed upon the first drupal camp in India. Having lost my
chance to be a part of history, I am really interested to know what
would the timeline be like for the next drupal camp. Was anything
discussed about how often can we have such events?? Would it possible
to have one every 6 months. It sounds like a very short gap in my
head.. may be 1 year would be more meaningful.. but hey, like i said -
I had missed the first one :(

Dipen

Aug 15, 2008, 4:20:20 AM8/15/08
to drupalc...@googlegroups.com
+1 for 6 monthly. What I think is we should have one Code Camp (small) where we implement something new or fix bugs in a dedicated way and One more like Drupal Con.

Shirish Padalkar

Aug 15, 2008, 6:12:54 AM8/15/08
to drupalc...@googlegroups.com
How about Code camp in first half of year n Sessions in next half... I mean if we can arrange every 6 months... :P
--
_____ S H I R I S H _____

Dipen

Aug 15, 2008, 6:50:08 AM8/15/08
to drupalc...@googlegroups.com
thats what I meant, 1 code camp and 1 drupal camp (6 monthly).

Roshan Shah

Sep 15, 2008, 10:40:16 AM9/15/08
to Drupal Camp India
So its one month after our discussions on next venue - any takers for
the next camp?

Roshan

On Aug 15, 3:50 pm, Dipen <dipe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> thats what I meant, 1 code camp and 1 drupal camp (6 monthly).
> Dipen Chaudharyhttp://www.dipenchaudhary.comhttp://playdrupal.com
>
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Shirish Padalkar <shirish4...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > How about Code camp in first half of year n Sessions in next half... I mean
> > if we can arrange every 6 months... :P
>
> > On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Dipen <dipe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> +1 for 6 monthly. What I think is we should have one Code Camp (small)
> >> where we implement something new or fix bugs in a dedicated way and One more
> >> like Drupal Con.
>
> >> Dipen Chaudhary
> >>http://www.dipenchaudhary.com
> >>http://playdrupal.com

Dipen

Sep 15, 2008, 10:49:06 AM9/15/08
to drupalc...@googlegroups.com
I would love to take it on, But for now I am a individual and not an organization with a team. But yeh if people are willing to form a distributed team and then converging a week before to the actual venue. I can take it up.

For the venue : I would suggest Mumbai, Vellore or ahmedabad (without Daiict this time)

thanks

Roshan Shah

Sep 16, 2008, 1:26:54 AM9/16/08
to drupalc...@googlegroups.com
Dipen,

Thanks for the gesture.

There is a very strong need for Indian Drupal Community to meet regularly and come together for the world to recognize us.  Ahmedabad for the second time would not be a good idea.  Pune, Mumbai or Vellore (or any other location) would be good.

We certainly need to unite urgently and there are reasons which can't be documented here :-)

Roshan

Dipen

Sep 16, 2008, 1:46:26 AM9/16/08
to drupalc...@googlegroups.com
So how do you think we should move forward? I think its really necessary to maintain the momentum, we saw a lot of beginner's buzz at drupal camp, IMO student track was more successful than developer track in terms of exposure,learning and we shouldn loose the momentum. What I will suggest is to chuck Vellore for this time (If its gonna happen soon) coz its important to maintain the beginner buzz and add to it and pune has lots of student groups and they r relatively more elevated abt open source than any other part of country (Thats  a perception though) also many web app developing companies are in pune.

I am going to php camp to be held at pune on 20th sep, I will talk to developers there and get them on mailing list and maybe do a small session on DrupalCamp (why is it imp)

If any of the pune developers reading this or anyone going to php camp, then lets join forces to start a talk abt drupal Camp in pune. We can look at vellore later when we have enough buzz and loyal campers.

Any thoughts are welcome

cheerios :)

theCancerus

Sep 16, 2008, 6:26:32 AM9/16/08
to Drupal Camp India
@dipen, i am one of the organizers of phpcamp, It would be great if we
can have next drupalcamp in pune. I and someothers have already
expressed our desire to do so in other threads.

thanks,
Amit

On Sep 16, 10:46 am, Dipen <dipe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So how do you think we should move forward? I think its really necessary to
> maintain the momentum, we saw a lot of beginner's buzz at drupal camp, IMO
> student track was more successful than developer track in terms of
> exposure,learning and we shouldn loose the momentum. What I will suggest is
> to chuck Vellore for this time (If its gonna happen soon) coz its important
> to maintain the beginner buzz and add to it and pune has lots of student
> groups and they r relatively more elevated abt open source than any other
> part of country (Thats  a perception though) also many web app developing
> companies are in pune.
>
> I am going to php camp to be held at pune on 20th sep, I will talk to
> developers there and get them on mailing list and maybe do a small session
> on DrupalCamp (why is it imp)
>
> If any of the pune developers reading this or anyone going to php camp, then
> lets join forces to start a talk abt drupal Camp in pune. We can look at
> vellore later when we have enough buzz and loyal campers.
>
> Any thoughts are welcome
>
> cheerios :)
>
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Roshan Shah <bpocan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dipen,
>
> > Thanks for the gesture.
>
> > There is a very strong need for Indian Drupal Community to meet regularly
> > and come together for the world to recognize us.  Ahmedabad for the second
> > time would not be a good idea.  Pune, Mumbai or Vellore (or any other
> > location) would be good.
>
> > We certainly need to unite urgently and there are reasons which can't be
> > documented here :-)
>
> > Roshan
>
> > On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 8:19 PM, Dipen <dipe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I would love to take it on, But for now I am a individual and not an
> >> organization with a team. But yeh if people are willing to form a
> >> distributed team and then converging a week before to the actual venue. I
> >> can take it up.
>
> >> For the venue : I would suggest Mumbai, Vellore or ahmedabad (without
> >> Daiict this time)
>
> >> thanks

theCancerus

Sep 16, 2008, 6:29:02 AM9/16/08
to Drupal Camp India
check pune tread for more info.

Shirish Padalkar

Sep 16, 2008, 11:53:19 AM9/16/08
to drupalc...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dipen...

I'm also coming for PHPCamp in Pune. Will be nice to see you there... :)

Amit Karpe

Sep 17, 2008, 5:29:13 AM9/17/08
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Dipen <dip...@gmail.com> wrote:
So how do you think we should move forward? I think its really necessary to maintain the momentum, we saw a lot of beginner's buzz at drupal camp, IMO student track was more successful than developer track in terms of exposure,learning and we shouldn loose the momentum. What I will suggest is to chuck Vellore for this time (If its gonna happen soon) coz its important to maintain the beginner buzz
True.

and add to it and pune has lots of student groups and they r relatively more elevated abt open source than any other part of country (Thats  a perception though) also many web app developing companies are in pune.

Yes. I am agree with you.
We will discuss at Camp and also try come with some DrupalCamp dates.

--
Regards
Amit.