Email sending functionality in desktop application

Milind Mahajan

Jun 12, 2009, 5:05:48 AM6/12/09
to DotNetDevelopment, VB.NET, C# .NET, ADO.NET, ASP.NET, XML, XML Web Services,.NET Remoting
Hi All,

I have a desktop project in which I have to add email sending
functionality. Means the client will install the software on there
machine and they should able to send emails (from his any email
address).

It might be the case that the client don't have IIS & SMTP service
install on there machine. So this will be necessary for the clients to
install it on there machine in order to work my application. Is it
possible to send email without SMTP?, I found some articles but
haven’t work for me.

So is there any other way to do this. If any body has the idea about
this then please let me know.

Mike Fry

Jun 12, 2009, 12:38:53 PM6/12/09
to DotNetDe...@googlegroups.com
Milind Mahajan wrote:

Not really a .NET question! Google for "mailto protocol".

--
Regards,
Mike Fry

Joe Enos

Jun 12, 2009, 12:56:57 PM6/12/09
to DotNetDevelopment, VB.NET, C# .NET, ADO.NET, ASP.NET, XML, XML Web Services,.NET Remoting
The client doesn't need their own SMTP server locally - the
application just needs to have an SMTP server that the client can
connect to. You should include a setup function that allows them to
define their ISP's SMTP server, just like an email client does (think
of Outlook/Thunderbird/etc.) - the user tells the app what their SMTP
server is, along with special needs like authentication, port, etc.,
and your app uses that to send the email.

milind mahajan

Jun 12, 2009, 2:30:16 PM6/12/09
to DotNetDe...@googlegroups.com
thanks for your valuable reply
Milind W. Mahajan
Software Engineer
mil...@iprogrammer.com
iProgrammer Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
201/202, D' Gold House, 2nd Floor,
Dyaneshwar Paduka Chowk,F. C. Road,
Shivajinagar, Pune - 05, INDIA.
Phone: +91-20-25121514
Mob:+91-9881000779
www.iprogrammer.com

milind mahajan

Jun 12, 2009, 2:37:53 PM6/12/09
to DotNetDe...@googlegroups.com
but in this case Client should have IIS install on there machine and configured SMTP service.
I have gone through some articles & 1 3rd party dot net component but they failed when i am
sending email to hotmail.com domain id (hotmail refused the request, it considered as a Dynamic IP
and thats correct.)

Joe Enos

Jun 13, 2009, 10:02:46 AM6/13/09
to DotNetDevelopment, VB.NET, C# .NET, ADO.NET, ASP.NET, XML, XML Web Services,.NET Remoting
If a particular ISP can't send email to hotmail domains, then that ISP
has some serious problems.

You didn't mention your audience - assuming your audience is normal
people (not internal employees), then in my opinion there's no way you
can expect them to install IIS or SMTP server. We're talking about
opening firewall ports, installing major Windows components, all to do
a basic task like sending email, assuming the user's ISP even allows
them to act as a SMTP server, which some don't.

If you really can't get the standard email stuff working, which
there's no reason you shouldn't be able to as long as the end user can
connect to a SMTP server, then I'd suggest exposing a simple web
service that does the dirty work of sending emails, and have your
application connect to that web service and pass along the appropriate
details. The user would then only need to be able to hit the web,
which they definitely will be able to do with zero configuration.