newforms-admin branch has been merged into trunk

Brian Rosner

Jul 18, 2008, 8:01:52 PM7/18/08
to django-d...@googlegroups.com, django...@googlegroups.com
I have just recently merged the newforms-admin branch into trunk as of
r7967 [1]. This is an extremely backward incompatible change. The
entire admin application in contrib has been refactored. The newforms
module has a few new features, but those changes are backward
compatible. The branch also converted django.contrib.auth to use
newforms. I have documented these changes in the usual place [2].

I would like to thank Karen Tracey for her tremendous work triaging
tickets, finding the root of problems and supplying patches where
needed. Also, on behalf of the core developers involved with the
branch we would like thank everyone who has tested the branch and
reported bugs. Without your hard work and contribution we couldn't
have made Django this much better without you! Thanks.

Bugs should no longer be marked with version 'newforms-admin' as the
branch is now closed.

Onward to 1.0!

[1]: http://code.djangoproject.com/changeset/7967
[2]: http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/BackwardsIncompatibleChanges

Brian Rosner
http://oebfare.com

mtrier

Jul 18, 2008, 8:03:54 PM7/18/08
to Django users
On Jul 18, 8:01 pm, Brian Rosner <bros...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just recently merged the newforms-admin branch into trunk as of
> r7967 [1]. This is an extremely backward incompatible change. The
> entire admin application in contrib has been refactored. The newforms
> module has a few new features, but those changes are backward
> compatible. The branch also converted django.contrib.auth to use
> newforms. I have documented these changes in the usual place [2].

Thank you Brian, and thank you to all the numerous contributors. Your
work is very much appreciated.

Michael Trier
blog.michaeltrier.com

Frank Singleton

Jul 18, 2008, 8:14:32 PM7/18/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
Brian Rosner wrote:
> I have just recently merged the newforms-admin branch into trunk as of
> r7967 [1].

A BIG Thankyou to all involved !!

Cheers / Frank

Ariel Mauricio Nunez Gomez

Jul 18, 2008, 8:22:15 PM7/18/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot!!

BTW: Bryan, you've gotta redo the commits visualization[1] for another big explosion!!

[1] http://oebfare.com/blog/2008/jun/24/django-code_swarm/

Chris H.

Jul 18, 2008, 9:31:52 PM7/18/08
to Django users
For those who aren't ready to move towards newforms-admin, Jacob has
created a notable_moments/pre-newforms-admin tag.

A BIG thanks to Brian and all those who had a hand in getting us to
this day!

Thanks!!

-C

Robvdl

Jul 18, 2008, 10:11:57 PM7/18/08
to Django users
Thanks very much for this

I have been running Newforms Admin for a while, so when the big
changeover was going to hit, I would be ready, not changing too much
existing code.

One thing I noticed now, running SVN 7968 vs my last checkout I did of
the old Newforms Admin branch (7871):

- The Auth and Sites applications don't show in admin, like they
aren't registered with admin

However, these do show on the older Newforms Admin branch checkout.

Do we need to manually register these applications with admin now?? or
is this something that is still to be fixed?

Karen Tracey

Jul 18, 2008, 10:36:33 PM7/18/08
to django...@googlegroups.com

Since 7871 (in 7872, in fact) an autodiscover function was added to admin. You can see how it's recommended to be used if you search for autodiscover here:

http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/NewformsAdminBranch

I'm guessing you don't call it and that is why the admin bits for those apps are not showing up.

(But actually when I neglect to call it and then try to access the admin I get a Site Administration page saying I don't have permission to edit anything, so I can't replicate your symptoms exactly via that explanation...)

Karen

Robvdl

Jul 18, 2008, 11:01:49 PM7/18/08
to Django users
Thanks for that, had a quick read and it looks like I don't need to
import each admin.py from all my own apps that way anymore either in
the __init__.py of each app, as autodiscover now handles all that,
nice. It bought back the Auth and Sites app too.

Eric Abrahamsen

Jul 18, 2008, 11:05:10 PM7/18/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
Beers all around!

Brian Rosner

Jul 19, 2008, 12:14:18 PM7/19/08
to django...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 18, 2008, at 6:22 PM, Ariel Mauricio Nunez Gomez wrote:

> BTW: Bryan, you've gotta redo the commits visualization[1] for
> another big explosion!!

I plan on updating the visualization right after we release 1.0. :)