ANN: django-iadmin

Stefano Apostolico

Jul 4, 2011, 8:55:57 AM7/4/11
to django-users
Hi all,

I would like some feedback on https://github.com/saxix/djangoscreenshots-home-page-iadmin.

Documentation in progress,  but demo application included.

Suggestions and comments are welcome, any help will be appreciated

sax

Thomas Weholt

Jul 4, 2011, 9:01:50 AM7/4/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Did you have any screenshots? Didn't see any.

Thomas

> --

Mvh/Best regards,
Thomas Weholt
http://www.weholt.org

Alex Kamedov

Jul 4, 2011, 9:57:50 AM7/4/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Thomas, It'll be great it you are providing screenshots or demo project.
Alex Kamedov
skype: kamedov    www: kamedov.ru

sax

Jul 4, 2011, 10:42:15 AM7/4/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Sorry,
wiki still in progress.....
anyway demo application in included ( testprj directory), some screenshots are available at https://github.com/saxix/django-iadmin/tree/master/docs/source/_static or in the wiki  section https://github.com/saxix/django-iadmin/wiki

S.

bobhaugen

Jul 4, 2011, 11:21:17 AM7/4/11
to Django users
Awesome feature list. I'll start trying it tomorrow. Just sending
this message to be encouraging.

Thomas Weholt

Jul 4, 2011, 11:34:03 AM7/4/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Just by looking at the screenshots makes me like it! Alot! :-) Keep up
the great work. I'll see if I get the time to test it and provide you
with more feedback.

Regards,
Thomas

creecode

Jul 4, 2011, 12:09:10 PM7/4/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hello sax,

How about a short description here of what this app does?

Toodle-loooooooooo..............
creecode

leo

Jul 4, 2011, 12:15:37 PM7/4/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
It looks very good.I will follow this project and apply it soon.
thanks for your awesome work.

sax

Jul 4, 2011, 2:06:44 PM7/4/11
to django...@googlegroups.com

Django iAdmin

iAdmin is a replacement of standard django admin application.

Features

  • multiple columns portlets-like home page
  • tabbed view of inlines
  • mass updates functionality
  • export to csv with options and formatting
  • advanced import from csv with foreign key handling
  • link to foreignkey edit page from changelist (list_display_rel_links)
  • filter by cell values (cell_filters)
  • ajax autocomplete widgets for ForeignKey
  • auto register missed modules.
  • auto add fields not present in fieldset (add_undefined_fields)
  • utilities ( tabular_factory)
  • info page for packages and application version
  • integrated file manager with upload/zip functionality
  • WYSIWYG editor wymeditor
  • shortcuts to configure django.contrib.* applications

creecode

Jul 4, 2011, 2:34:02 PM7/4/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Sounds interesting!  Thanks!

Fred Chevitarese

Jul 4, 2011, 2:46:57 PM7/4/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm I like it !

All those features are already working?

^^

"
O relógio da vida recebe corda apenas uma vez.
Ninguém tem o poder de decidir quando os ponteiros pararão, se mais cedo ou se mais tarde.
O presente é o único tempo que você possui.
Viva, ame e trabalhe com vontade.
Não ponha nenhuma esperança no tempo, pois o relógio pode parar a qualquer momento.
"

Fred Chevitarese - GNU/Linux

sax

Jul 4, 2011, 3:26:38 PM7/4/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
yep, but more test needed....

sax

Fred Chevitarese

Jul 4, 2011, 3:47:42 PM7/4/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

I will try to test :P

"
O relógio da vida recebe corda apenas uma vez.
Ninguém tem o poder de decidir quando os ponteiros pararão, se mais cedo ou se mais tarde.
O presente é o único tempo que você possui.
Viva, ame e trabalhe com vontade.
Não ponha nenhuma esperança no tempo, pois o relógio pode parar a qualquer momento.
"

Fred Chevitarese - GNU/Linux

Venkatraman S

Jul 4, 2011, 11:20:11 PM7/4/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Screenshots look interesting. Would be great to see it production ready.

-V
http://twitter.com/venkasub
http://blizzardzblogs.blogspot.com/

Tomáš Ehrlich

Jul 5, 2011, 4:58:11 PM7/5/11
to Django users
Hi Sax,
thanks for your work, i've already put it into my project.

Unfortunately, I've got this error when accessing change_list view.
Some apps works fine, but some of them shows this exception:
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/django/contrib/admin/views/
main.py" in __init__
81. self.query_set = self.get_query_set(request)

Exception Type: TypeError at /admin/markup/textprocessor/
Exception Value: get_query_set() takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)

I'm trying to figure out, what's wrong. Just posting in case you know
about this.

Does github have any issue tracker?

Thanks

On 4 čnc, 14:55, Stefano Apostolico <s...@os4d.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like some feedback onhttps://github.com/saxix/djangoscreenshots-home-page-iadmin<https://github.com/saxix/django-iadmin>
> .

sax

Jul 5, 2011, 5:05:48 PM7/5/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Tomáš,
which version of django are you using ? did you compare your settings with the one into the testprj app ?

You can find the issue tracker at https://github.com/saxix/django-iadmin/issues?sort=created&direction=desc&state=open

let me know as i can help you

sax

Tomáš Ehrlich

Jul 5, 2011, 5:18:26 PM7/5/11
to Django users
I'm using latest Django svn checkout.

I've just solved this problem, although still don't understand it.

Problem was with models simply registered to admin like:

admin.site.register(TaggedItem)

So, I created simple model admin and it works:

class TaggedItemAdmin(admin.ModelAdmin):
pass

admin.site.register(TaggedItem, TaggedItemAdmin)

On 5 čnc, 23:05, sax <s...@os4d.org> wrote:
> Ciao Tomáš,
> which version of django are you using ? did you compare your settings with
> the one into the testprj app ?
>
> You can find the issue tracker athttps://github.com/saxix/django-iadmin/issues?sort=created&direction=...
>
> let me know as i can help you
>
> sax

Tomáš Ehrlich

Jul 5, 2011, 6:01:09 PM7/5/11
to Django users
Hi Sax,
I've found, where is a problem, but it's much more complicated. I've
just filled issue: https://github.com/saxix/django-iadmin/issues/2

Hope we'll fix it soon, need to go sleep now

Björn Lindqvist

Jul 6, 2011, 4:12:02 AM7/6/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
2011/7/4 sax <s...@os4d.org>:

> Django iAdmin
>
> iAdmin is a replacement of standard django admin application.

It is more of an extension of the standard django admin, rather than a
replacement, isn't it? There are certain limitations in admin that are
hard to work around such as different permission levels for different
users. For example, if you want to limit a users access to the blog
database to only articles the user has created, that's not possible to
express in admin. I think if someone had the time, a completely
rewritten and redesigned admin system would be a great project. But
I'll definitely take a closer look at your project it looks very
promising!

--
mvh/best regards, Björn Lindqvist
http://www.footballexperts.net/

leo

Jul 10, 2011, 12:30:18 AM7/10/11
to django...@googlegroups.com, s...@os4d.org
hi, sax
I downloaded the package and want to install is using normal way
then I got error like this:

D:\saxix-django-iadmin-ec7ad2a>setup.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\saxix-django-iadmin-ec7ad2a\setup.py", line 44, in <module>
    version = ".".join(iadmin.__version__),
TypeError: sequence item 0: expected string, int found

I got confused because the package install procedure is different
with online's manual...
--
chlin

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]

Jul 10, 2011, 4:45:54 PM7/10/11
On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 5:30 AM, leo <eilin...@gmail.com> wrote:
hi, sax
I downloaded the package and want to install is using normal way
then I got error like this:

D:\saxix-django-iadmin-ec7ad2a>setup.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\saxix-django-iadmin-ec7ad2a\setup.py", line 44, in <module>
    version = ".".join(iadmin.__version__),
TypeError: sequence item 0: expected string, int found

Oh jeez, looks like that release is broken.

Go to here: "D:\saxix-django-iadmin-ec7ad2a\setup.py", line 44

And replace this line:
version = ".".join(iadmin.__version__),

With this:
version = ".".join(map(lambda x: str(x), iadmin.__version__)),

(the above just basically recasts the values in that list as string objects, rather than ints. I suspect this was caused by the string not having a dot or something)

Let me know if that works.

Cal

leo

Jul 10, 2011, 8:31:14 PM7/10/11
to django...@googlegroups.com, s...@os4d.org
hi, sax
After downloading the newest code and i try to implement the iadmin
the setup works well this time but when I try to access the localhost/admin
got the follow error ,

My platform Win2008R2, python 2.6.6

I checked the code found something,
I write my code in Win, and in Win python can not import grp.
but when i try import in FreeBSD it works.My win's python install
by default.
So I think your iadmin is not suitable for Windows now.

ImportError at /admin

No module named grp
Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://localhost:8888/admin
Django Version: 1.3
Exception Type: ImportError
Exception Value:
No module named grp
Exception Location: D:\Python26\lib\site-packages\iadmin\plugins\fm\fs.py in <module>, line 4
Python Executable: D:\Python26\python.exe
Python Version: 2.6.6
Python Path:
['D:\\Documents\\Workspace\\server',
 'C:\\Windows\\system32\\python26.zip',
 'D:\\Python26\\DLLs',
 'D:\\Python26\\lib',
 'D:\\Python26\\lib\\plat-win',
 'D:\\Python26\\lib\\lib-tk',
 'D:\\Python26',
 'D:\\Python26\\lib\\site-packages']
Server time: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 08:22:54 +0800
--
chlin

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]

Jul 10, 2011, 8:36:35 PM7/10/11
to django...@googlegroups.com, s...@os4d.org
Hmm, grp is only valid on unix platforms according to here:

line 4-6:
from grp import getgrgid
from pwd import getpwuid

Replace with this:

import os
if not os.name == 'nt':
    from grp import getgrgid
    from pwd import getpwuid

line 40-41:
            self.user = getpwuid(itemstat.st_uid)[0]
            self.group = getgrgid(itemstat.st_gid)[0]

Replace with this:

if not os.name == 'nt':
    self.user = getpwuid(itemstat.st_uid)[0]
    self.group = getgrgid(itemstat.st_gid)[0]
else:
    self.user = 0
    self.group = 0

This may or may not work lol.

Cal

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]

Jul 10, 2011, 8:37:27 PM7/10/11
to django...@googlegroups.com, s...@os4d.org
Oh and, the fix I pasted here is *somewhat* hacky, and is really just meant to get you off the ground. The maintainer will need to patch this at a later date though.

Cal

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]

Jul 10, 2011, 8:40:15 PM7/10/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
I've submitted an issue to the maintainer:

leo

Jul 10, 2011, 9:08:07 PM7/10/11
to django...@googlegroups.com, Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd], s...@os4d.org
hi,guy,
your code works but not very well. i got this error:

  • Please enable javascript.

and the layout of index page of admin got mess,
I have to sleep not :),but I will follow the code update.
thanks to answer my questions.

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]

Jul 10, 2011, 9:16:43 PM7/10/11
to leo, django...@googlegroups.com, s...@os4d.org
Damn, I guess it had unexpected side effects.

Sorry I couldn't help get you up and running :/

Cal

David Graves

Jul 10, 2011, 11:31:42 PM7/10/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Björn,

I'm working on a project very similar to this one (but have a long way to go to reach it's maturity), but I do have a working feature that I believe matches what you're looking for.  The project is at https://bitbucket.org/graveyboat/gravey and the feature is called RestrictedModel.  It acts just like a regular model, but the object is automatically assigned to the user that created it, and the user is allowed to grant access to any group he/she is in.  Also, any admin can change the owner of the object.  It can be used by using gravey.db.models.RestrictedModel and gravey.admin.RestrictedModelAdmin.  As I mentioned before, the rest of the project has a long way to go, and I need to get some documentation up, but hopefully this will help you along the way.

David

sax

Jul 11, 2011, 5:23:08 AM7/11/11
to Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd], django...@googlegroups.com
should be solved in github.

sax

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]

Jul 11, 2011, 7:12:14 AM7/11/11
to sax, django...@googlegroups.com
Nice,

Can a Windows user please test and confirm:

Thanks

Cal

leo

Jul 11, 2011, 8:10:59 AM7/11/11
to django...@googlegroups.com, Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd], sax
I will test 12 hours later, if any information i will let you know.

leo

Jul 11, 2011, 7:01:58 PM7/11/11
to django...@googlegroups.com, Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd], sax

reinstall and try got error below.

TypeError at /admin

unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'NoneType' and 'str'
Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://localhost:8888/admin
Django Version: 1.3
Exception Type: TypeError
Exception Value:
unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'NoneType' and 'str'
Exception Location: D:\Python26\lib\site-packages\iadmin\widgets.py in Media, line 73
Python Executable: D:\Python26\python.exe
Python Version: 2.6.6
Python Path:
['D:\\Documents\\Workspace\\server',
 'C:\\Windows\\system32\\python26.zip',
 'D:\\Python26\\DLLs',
 'D:\\Python26\\lib',
 'D:\\Python26\\lib\\plat-win',
 'D:\\Python26\\lib\\lib-tk',
 'D:\\Python26',
 'D:\\Python26\\lib\\site-packages']

sax

Jul 12, 2011, 6:36:56 AM7/12/11
to leo, django...@googlegroups.com, Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]
iAdmin require STATIC_URL into settings ( see commit 8a875b8b3001486855b9098383479776dddeb9db )

sax