GitHub migration

Adrian Holovaty

Apr 27, 2012, 12:50:01 PM4/27/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys, here's an important heads-up!

We're going to do the migration to GitHub today. This means we'll no
longer be committing code to our Subversion repository. Committers,
please hold off on making commits until the migration is done.

I expect it'll be done by late afternoon Chicago time. I'm going to do
a dry run first to make sure all goes well, then I'll do the real
thing.

Here are some random notes about the process --

* Any fork of the existing GitHub repository at
https://github.com/django/django (which was a mirror of Subversion)
will be broken. That is, it will no longer be able to get changes from
upstream. Unfortunately, there's no way around this. But we'll provide
some instructions here on django-developers on how to change your
forks to use the new upstream repository in such a way that any of
your local changes will be preserved. Worst case, you'll just have to
generate a patch of your local branch's changes and apply it to a new
fork.

* One interesting part of this is coming up with a definitive mapping
between our old Subversion usernames and names/emails for Git. Brian
Rosner and some other folks have done a great job of doing that
research -- https://github.com/brosner/django-git-authors/blob/master/authors.txt
-- and we'll be using that file to convert committer data during the
migration. Basically this means that if you've ever committed to
Django, your commits will be associated with your current GitHub
account -- as long as your GitHub account is associated with the same
email address in that authors file. Due to the way Git works, there's
no way of changing this data after the import is done. But we've
accounted for everybody except two mysterious people "dcf" and "cell,"
both of whom were given temporary commit bits during a sprint six
years ago.

* If you're a Git/GitHub expert and are interested in helping, feel
free to join us in #django-dev on Freenode.

* Thanks in advance for bearing with us during this process. There
will be some pain, but it'll be worth it in the long run. I'm excited!

Adrian

Brendan Smith

Apr 27, 2012, 1:05:10 PM4/27/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
woohoo!  this is great,   good luck Adrian

Dana Woodman

Apr 27, 2012, 6:46:40 PM4/27/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Wow this is awesome! Congrats on the change! Very excited to be able to contribute a Pull Request or two!

Adrian Holovaty

Apr 27, 2012, 7:25:19 PM4/27/12
On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Adrian Holovaty <adr...@holovaty.com> wrote:
> We're going to do the migration to GitHub today. This means we'll no
> longer be committing code to our Subversion repository. Committers,
> please hold off on making commits until the migration is done.
>
> I expect it'll be done by late afternoon Chicago time. I'm going to do
> a dry run first to make sure all goes well, then I'll do the real
> thing.

Quick update -- I did a couple of dry runs and successfully posted the
dry run repository to my personal GitHub account. I'll post here again
when the migration is done for the official Django GitHub account.

Adrian

Aymeric Augustin

Nov 25, 2012, 4:46:00 PM11/25/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Django's development moved to GitHub 7 months ago, and it's a success!

No guidelines for pull requests were published, but usage patterns have emerged. Here's what I've observed.

550 pull requests have been opened:
- 20% of them are still open. This figure is a slightly above reality because pull requests sometimes stay open even after the corresponding problem is fixed.
- 80% are closed. There's no easy way to tell if they were merged or rejected.

Most open pull requests reference a Trac ticket.

Trac is used for almost all discussions. I believe there are two reasons for this:
- every action on Trac is notified to more than 900 subscribers to the django-updates mailing list;
- Trac is customized to match the community's and the core team's workflows.

Pull requests are used as a replacement for patches uploaded to Trac, and as an code review UI. The killer features here are line-by-line commenting, and to some extent incremental review.

Pull requests that don't reference a Trac ticket tend to get lost into the noise (507, 500, 497, 478, 451, 432, 421, 402, 393, 317, 272, 211, etc.). They suffer from the lack of a triage process to ensure every PR gets looked at, and categorization to help to locate PRs of interest. (By the way, these are the main reasons why we didn't switch issue management to GitHub.) In the end, trivial fixes such as typos generally get merged, more complex ones don't without a discussion in a ticket.

Have you noticed other interesting patterns? What improvements to the development processes would you suggest?

--
Aymeric.

Alex Gaynor

Nov 25, 2012, 4:56:05 PM11/25/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
One major improvement I've seen is that when there's a small issue in a commit (such a typo) a contributor often leaves an inline comment and it can get fixed directly. This is a great workflow for simple issues.

Alex

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (summarizing Voltaire)