Genetic Engineering Lab Manual

Nathan McCorkle

Mar 9, 2011, 10:57:24 AM3/9/11
to diybio
Here is the lab manual from my current GE course... its pretty dang
good, especially the first 30 or so pages of technique and background
info:
http://people.rit.edu/rhrsbi/GEPages/LabManual.html

--
Nathan McCorkle
Rochester Institute of Technology

C.R.S.

Mar 9, 2011, 12:17:39 PM3/9/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Wow!, Thank you very much. This saves me a lot of time. I had planned to go to the Medical library here in Houston to look up methodologies. I remember reading somewhere about a much simpler borate buffer without tris that was cheaper and works better. Ed in Houston

Albert Thompson

Mar 9, 2011, 12:19:58 PM3/9/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Good S@@t

earth11

Thank  You,

Albert Thompson

Albert Thompson cid:image001.png@01C99B2C.8DE4ACD0cid:image002.png@01C99B2C.8DE4ACD0m  粒体

ASU Schools of Engineering

School of EMTE, GWC Room 542
Tempe, AZ USA 85287-6106  Ph:480-965-0772
Em: THIN...@ASU.EDU
(DSO: DARPA's DARPA)

It’s the Mitochondria!

-Albert Thompson III

"Scientific revolutions may be sensed in advance by scholars

with an exceptional intuition, but the site where such revolutions

take place is frequently a complete surprise."

..Dr. Esra Galun,  RNA Silencing, 2005

Avoid fava beans. -- Pythagoras.

Forrest Flanagan

Mar 9, 2011, 12:41:01 PM3/9/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
That signature is painful Al.
image004.png
image001.gif
image002.png
image005.png
image003.png

Cathal Garvey

Mar 9, 2011, 12:58:41 PM3/9/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com

I think you're referring to sodium borate as a buffer for electrophoresis. If memory serves, you want around 19.17g/L of borax.

Expect ladders and PCRs to run a bit quickly unless you dialyse them or leave them in the well to let the salt diffuse. It's about 50 times cheaper than tbe or tae though, and it interferes less with downstream reactions with purified DNA etc.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Nathan McCorkle <nmz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is the lab manu...

Cory Tobin

Mar 9, 2011, 1:18:14 PM3/9/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
> I think you're referring to sodium borate as a buffer for electrophoresis.
> If memory serves, you want around 19.17g/L of borax.
>
> Expect ladders and PCRs to run a bit quickly unless you dialyse them or
> leave them in the well to let the salt diffuse. It's about 50 times cheaper
> than tbe or tae though, and it interferes less with downstream reactions
> with purified DNA etc.

Borate inhibits ligase, so if you're planning on extracting a band and
ligating it, use TAE instead of SB (sodium borate) or TBE.

SB works well for bands under 3kb. Over 3kb the bands are very
diffuse and blurred together.

Under 3kb SB is great - you can run the gel in ~15 minutes and the gel
stays very cool.

-Cory

Cathal Garvey

Mar 10, 2011, 4:34:57 AM3/10/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Awesome useful man, thanks! I'll know to avoid it now, I was gonna use it to prep my new plasmid and would have wasted a lot of DNA trying..

On 9 Mar 2011 18:18, "Cory Tobin" <cory....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you're referring to sodium borate as a buffer for electrophoresis.

> If memory serves, you...

Borate inhibits ligase, so if you're planning on extracting a band and
ligating it, use TAE instead of SB (sodium borate) or TBE.

SB works well for bands under 3kb.  Over 3kb the bands are very
diffuse and blurred together.

Under 3kb SB is great - you can run the gel in ~15 minutes and the gel
stays very cool.

-Cory

To post to...

balint

Mar 10, 2011, 7:16:32 AM3/10/11
to DIYbio
Hi Guys,

If you would like to get videos about basic lab techniques please have
a look to our blog:

http://labtutorials.org/

Moreover you are welcome to publish your protocolls or videos at
Labtutorials.org!

There are two ways to publish your protocoll:
1. ask to publish- this is straightforward, without any review.
2. ask for review- in this case you can suggest one reviewer and we
assign a second one. From this point on it is basically similar to the
process ofd scientific publication.

Cheers,

Balint.

General Oya

Mar 10, 2011, 7:45:19 PM3/10/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
http://www.molecularstation.com/

these guys have alot of user made video protocols as well.

Ryan

Anselm Levskaya

Mar 11, 2011, 3:05:51 AM3/11/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I use sodium borate buffer all the time. I don't usually do
restriction/ligase cloning anymore, but I don't seem to recall it
being all that bad in my reactions. I think it's a bigger issue if
you're purifying the DNA straight out of a low-temperature melting
agarose gel. If you're using a column-based method I think you get
rid of the vast majority of borate. In any case it'd be an easy
side-by-side test.

The nice thing about SB is that it's dirt cheap for DIY bio compared
to tris/edta buffers.

Re: band compression:
I noticed this reference that suggested making the SB buffer up at pH
6.5 in order to prevent high-MW compression. Making the SB buffer at
pH 6.5 gives me nicely resolved bands all the way up to about 10kb
and I'm now using it all the time (and running at 250V+ typically
takes 10min to get good resolution).

http://goo.gl/rmtCg

The Lithium borate buffer version would probably be even better, but I
haven't gotten any LiOH to try it out yet.

-Anselm

Cory Tobin

Mar 11, 2011, 4:57:56 PM3/11/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
> I use sodium borate buffer all the time.  I don't usually do
> restriction/ligase cloning anymore, but I don't seem to recall it
> being all that bad in my reactions.  I think it's a bigger issue if
> you're purifying the DNA straight out of a low-temperature melting
> agarose gel.  If you're using a column-based method I think you get
> rid of the vast majority of borate.  In any case it'd be an easy
> side-by-side test.

I usually use the Qiagen gel extraction kit. I did a side by side
with TBE vs TAE, extracted a 2.5kb fragment from the gel, ligated
(cohesive ends) into a 3.5kb plasmid and transformed into Invitrogen
Top10 cells, 3 replicates. TBE gave 32% +/- 8% fewer colonies. With
cohesive ends this isn't much of a problem because you'll have plenty
of colonies. With blunt ends a 30% decrease could be a problem just
because there are very few colonies to begin with. But I found that
during the column purification if I do 2 washes with the QG buffer and
2 washes with PE, the problems goes away.

> Re: band compression:
> I noticed this reference that suggested making the SB buffer up at pH
> 6.5 in order to prevent high-MW compression.  Making the SB buffer at
> pH 6.5 gives me  nicely resolved bands all the way up to about 10kb
> and I'm now using it all the time (and running at 250V+  typically
> takes 10min to get good resolution).

Great news! I'll try that out this afternoon.

-Cory

Patrik

Mar 12, 2011, 3:05:36 AM3/12/11
to DIYbio
On Mar 11, 12:05 am, Anselm Levskaya <levsk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Lithium borate buffer version would probably be even better, but I
> haven't gotten any LiOH to try it out yet.

In the DIY spirit - here's how to get the Lithium out of a Lithium
battery:

http://realitypod.com/2011/03/extracting-lithium-from-a-battery-cell/

Like Sodium, Lithium will react spontaneously with water to form
hydroxide and hydrogen gas, so be very careful when doing this!

Cathal Garvey

Mar 12, 2011, 5:02:45 AM3/12/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Great advice, thanks Anselm! Any idea how to deal with differences in salt between minipreps, PCRs, ladders?

To post to...

Nathan McCorkle

Mar 12, 2011, 8:29:08 PM3/12/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 5:02 AM, Cathal Garvey <cathal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great advice, thanks Anselm! Any idea how to deal with differences in salt
> between minipreps, PCRs, ladders?

ethanol precipitation? the lab manual I posted says to adjust the
volume to 0.1mM NaCl, then add two volumes of ice cold EtOH, ice for
15 mins, then centrifuge for 20 mins and decant, dry, resuspend in
buffer

Nathan McCorkle

Mar 20, 2011, 8:29:32 PM3/20/11
to diybio
So this is a bit unfortunate, but the manual has a good amount of
consistently wrong units (microliters being represented with ml)... my
Prof says this happened when he changed fonts... I might be able to
get an older version to post, then comparing the two versions should
clear things up.

I hope this message propagates before people are confused with strange
amounts and concentrations.

-Nathan