First attempts, and Diaspora on Apache/Passenger

Faulteh

Sep 16, 2010, 12:48:32 AM9/16/10
to diaspora-dev
Got the preview code server working pretty quickly, but noticed bugs
where my status updates and photos were not being shown on my friend's
"news feed" (we're both logged into the same server). However I put
that aside to check out how easy it would be to get going on an
Apache2 server.

Anyone else tried to get this developer code working with Apache2 with
the Passenger RoR module? Some features broke (status updates, photo
uploads, album creation/deletion), with the following culprit
identified in the log file:

NoMethodError (undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass):
/lib/diaspora/websocket.rb:15:in `push_to_user'
app/controllers/sockets_controller.rb:17:in `outgoing'
/lib/diaspora/websocket.rb:45:in `unsocket_from_uid'
app/models/user.rb:196:in `retract'
app/models/post.rb:51:in `propogate_retraction'
app/controllers/albums_controller.rb:29:in `destroy'

Log messages very similar to this appear for all the broked features,
all sharing the NoMethodError in push_to_user

As far as I could see as I was installing there were no errors
installing all the ruby gems etc. Perhaps it's a file permission issue
(something needs to be readble/writable by www-data user?)

Anyway I should be studying for a test, so I'll look at it in more
detail later tonight.

Good work team!

Cheers,
ScottB

PS - server details - apache 2.2.12 on ubuntu karmic w/ Passenger.

PPS if i should be submitting this to some bugtracker, I apologise in
advance for posting to this mailing list instead

Shajith

Sep 16, 2010, 2:36:06 AM9/16/10
to diaspora-dev

On Sep 15, 9:48 pm, Faulteh <faul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Got the preview code server working pretty quickly, but noticed bugs
> where my status updates and photos were not being shown on my friend's
> "news feed" (we're both logged into the same server). However I put
> that aside to check out how easy it would be to get going on an
> Apache2 server.
>
> Anyone else tried to get this developer code working with Apache2 with
> the Passenger RoR module? Some features broke (status updates, photo
> uploads, album creation/deletion), with the following culprit
> identified in the log file:
>
> NoMethodError (undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass):
>   /lib/diaspora/websocket.rb:15:in `push_to_user'
>   app/controllers/sockets_controller.rb:17:in `outgoing'
>   /lib/diaspora/websocket.rb:45:in `unsocket_from_uid'
>   app/models/user.rb:196:in `retract'
>   app/models/post.rb:51:in `propogate_retraction'
>   app/controllers/albums_controller.rb:29:in `destroy'
>
> Log messages very similar to this appear for all the broked features,
> all sharing the NoMethodError in push_to_user
>
> As far as I could see as I was installing there were no errors
> installing all the ruby gems etc. Perhaps it's a file permission issue
> (something needs to be readble/writable by www-data user?)

FWIW, I set things up with nginx and mod_rails, and saw the same
error.
Have added a github issue here: http://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/issues/issue/48
Feel free to add info.

Shajith