ADSL problem?

Matt Gibson

Nov 12, 2008, 3:48:23 PM11/12/08
Did anyone else's ADSL just stop working? My router's fine, my actual
ADSL connection is fine, but even after a reboot the IP level of
things seems unhappy -- my router is picking up a gateway of
217.47.188.134, with DNS server of 62.6.38.125, which I'm guessing
isn't right?

Are those the numbers that indicate that I'm through to the BT side of
things, but not routing through Demon? That's all I can think of as a
diagnosis at the mo...

Ta,

Matt

Alan Woodford

Nov 12, 2008, 3:56:03 PM11/12/08

My adsl was fine but the interweb went to sleep for about 45 mins and
has only just come back :-)

Couldn't get through to the techies, either.

a fairly major fall-over, perhaps?

Alan Woodford
The Greying Lensman

Gizmo.

Nov 12, 2008, 3:55:45 PM11/12/08

"Matt Gibson" <gothic...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Got no ADSL here at all. Just getting the BTWholesale error page.

Connecting at present via Vodafone.

Valmet

Nov 12, 2008, 4:04:26 PM11/12/08
In message
<ab2b2c89-1a79-4203...@a26g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Matt Gibson <gothic...@gmail.com> writes

>Did anyone else's ADSL just stop working?

Yep - mine went belly up too...same symptoms, connected according to the
router but no connection. Nothing on the status line and they blocked
calls to the help desk.

Trevor Wright

Nov 12, 2008, 4:08:35 PM11/12/08
In message <IXvFDJAa...@west36.demon.co.uk>, Valmet
<Valm...@hotmail.com> writes

>Yep - mine went belly up too...same symptoms, connected according to
>the router but no connection. Nothing on the status line and they
>blocked calls to the help desk.

Router apparently disconnected here - rare, bordering on unique. Back
on now (obviously)
--
Trevor Wright

Andrew Holme

Nov 12, 2008, 4:09:23 PM11/12/08

"Gizmo." <moŹ0...@ltlrm3.com> wrote in message

It was the same here.

Service has just been restored.

James Coupe

Nov 12, 2008, 4:11:03 PM11/12/08
In message <ab2b2c89-1a79-4203...@a26g2000prf.googlegroup

s.com>, Matt Gibson <gothic...@gmail.com> writes:
>Did anyone else's ADSL just stop working? My router's fine, my actual
>ADSL connection is fine, but even after a reboot the IP level of
>things seems unhappy -- my router is picking up a gateway of
>217.47.188.134, with DNS server of 62.6.38.125, which I'm guessing
>isn't right?

Similar symptoms. Kicked it at just after 8, came back at about 9.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

Matt Gibson

Nov 12, 2008, 4:15:03 PM11/12/08
On 12 Nov, 21:11, James Coupe <ja...@zephyr.org.uk> [along with many

other helpful people] wrote:
> Similar symptoms.  Kicked it at just after 8, came back at about 9.

Ta everyone. Nice to know it's not just me (having replaced my modem/
router a month ago, I'm still not exactly confident in its ability to
reliably throw packets about...) Hopefully I'll be back up soon, then,
probably just after I've rebooted a few things...

Cheers,

Matt

BlueC

Nov 12, 2008, 4:15:22 PM11/12/08
On Nov 12, 9:11 pm, James Coupe <ja...@zephyr.org.uk> wrote:
> In message <ab2b2c89-1a79-4203-bca5-c5087fb7d...@a26g2000prf.googlegroup

> s.com>, Matt Gibson <gothick.f...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >Did anyone else's ADSL just stop working? My router's fine, my actual
> >ADSL connection is fine, but even after a reboot the IP level of
> >things seems unhappy -- my router is picking up a gateway of
> >217.47.188.134, with DNS server of 62.6.38.125, which I'm guessing
> >isn't right?
>
> Similar symptoms.  Kicked it at just after 8, came back at about 9.

+1 me too. Router was getting a strange (wrong) IP and gateway
address. All back now.

Les

Nov 12, 2008, 4:17:14 PM11/12/08
In message <XvJhzTZn...@gratiano.zephyr.org.uk>, James Coupe
<ja...@zephyr.org.uk> writes

>In message <ab2b2c89-1a79-4203...@a26g2000prf.googlegroup
>s.com>, Matt Gibson <gothic...@gmail.com> writes:
>>Did anyone else's ADSL just stop working? My router's fine, my actual
>>ADSL connection is fine, but even after a reboot the IP level of
>>things seems unhappy -- my router is picking up a gateway of
>>217.47.188.134, with DNS server of 62.6.38.125, which I'm guessing
>>isn't right?
>
>Similar symptoms. Kicked it at just after 8, came back at about 9.

Dropped out at about 8pm here and returned at 8:37pm, tried alternative
DNS during break with no success.
--
Les

Chloe

Nov 12, 2008, 4:23:11 PM11/12/08

All my clients, and my own ADSL went down, and got a BT IP after a while.

I tried to ring the helpdesk, but it went straight to a message that the
call couldn't be connected.

Systems have been coming back, but I now appear to have a bunch of sites
with routers that need a reboot. I guess I'm going to get a lot of phone
calls in the morning....

Chloe

James Coupe

Nov 12, 2008, 4:41:01 PM11/12/08
In message <6f149804-521f-472f...@v13g2000pro.googlegroup

s.com>, Matt Gibson <gothic...@gmail.com> writes:

From elsewhere on t'Interweb, where I was moaning:

<anonymous> At exactly the same time I had a problem between a machine
hosted at Manchester IFL and a Webtapestry DSL

So it may not be just Demon.

Andy

Nov 12, 2008, 5:07:32 PM11/12/08
In message
<ab2b2c89-1a79-4203...@a26g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Matt Gibson <gothic...@gmail.com> wrote

>Did anyone else's ADSL just stop working?

Yes

>My router's fine, my actual
>ADSL connection is fine, but even after a reboot the IP level of
>things seems unhappy -- my router is picking up a gateway of
>217.47.188.134, with DNS server of 62.6.38.125, which I'm guessing
>isn't right?
>
>Are those the numbers that indicate that I'm through to the BT side of
>things, but not routing through Demon? That's all I can think of as a
>diagnosis at the mo...

I got a green screen saying that various nasties could have happened,
one being that BT WHolesale had lost contact with my ISP.

Rebooted everything - no better.

Had leisurely drink - now OK.
--
Andy Taylor [Editor, Austrian Philatelic Society; Chair, N E Lupus Group].
Visit <URL:http://www.austrianphilately.com> or <URL:http://www.northeastlupus.

Ian Jackson

Nov 12, 2008, 5:13:22 PM11/12/08
In message <uOb$bHct10...@gratiano.zephyr.org.uk>, James Coupe
<ja...@zephyr.org.uk> writes

>In message <6f149804-521f-472f...@v13g2000pro.googlegroup
>s.com>, Matt Gibson <gothic...@gmail.com> writes:
>>On 12 Nov, 21:11, James Coupe <ja...@zephyr.org.uk> [along with many
>>other helpful people] wrote:
>>> Similar symptoms.  Kicked it at just after 8, came back at about 9.
>>
>>Ta everyone. Nice to know it's not just me (having replaced my modem/
>>router a month ago, I'm still not exactly confident in its ability to
>>reliably throw packets about...) Hopefully I'll be back up soon, then,
>>probably just after I've rebooted a few things...
>
>From elsewhere on t'Interweb, where I was moaning:
>
> <anonymous> At exactly the same time I had a problem between a machine
> hosted at Manchester IFL and a Webtapestry DSL
>
>So it may not be just Demon.

Same here (S Bucks) - right in the middle of doing a manual Windows
Update (which confused me). On my Linksys router, it looked as if the
ADSL line had been dropped. I rebooted it (and the PC) a few times, and
eventually the line came back. However, when trying to connect, I got
the 'You will need to buy a universal licence' message. I then tried my
now-unused Speedtouch modem, and this connected first try. About 30
minutes, I reverted to the router, and all was OK again.
--
Ian

Colin

Nov 12, 2008, 5:20:00 PM11/12/08

Similar symptoms here: whatever the problem was it rendered our ADSL
router effectively dead - no control panel, not even responding to pings
on its LAN interface.

Power-cycled the router and ADSL came up OK, but no pings to gate.dcu
ect. Further investigation showed it had connected through
'host81-152-141-194.range81-152.btcentralplus.com' instead of the
expected '.demon.co.uk' node.

Telling the router to drop and re-establish the connection appears to
have fixed the problem for now.

Nicholas D. Richards

Nov 12, 2008, 6:12:52 PM11/12/08
In article <migmh49sote2k5im8...@4ax.com>, Alan Woodford
<al...@bortas.demon.co.uk> on Wed, 12 Nov 2008 at 20:56:03 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

I was down between 8:07pm and 8:33pm.

The indicators on the ADSL router were OK but I could not make any
contact with the outside world.

My Turnpike log shows

Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:07:00 Collecting mail from POP3 server
POP3.demon.co.uk
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:07:00 Collecting mail from POP3 server
pop3.demon.co.uk
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:07:15 Failed to connect to POP3 server
POP3.demon.co.uk:
[translating host name to IP address]
Connection failed - Host not found
-- Winsock ERROR : Valid name, no data record for type

Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:07:30 Failed to connect to POP3 server
pop3.demon.co.uk:
[translating host name to IP address]
Connection failed - Host not found
-- Winsock ERROR : Valid name, no data record for type

Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:09:20 Collecting Usenet News from news.demon.co.uk
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:09:35 Failed to connect to news machine
news.demon.co.uk : [translating host name to IP address]
Connection failed - Host not found
-- Winsock ERROR : Valid name, no data record for type

Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:09:35 News connection to news.demon.co.uk completed
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:17:01 Collecting mail from POP3 server
pop3.demon.co.uk
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:17:16 Failed to connect to POP3 server
pop3.demon.co.uk:
[translating host name to IP address]
Connection failed - Host not found
-- Winsock ERROR : Valid name, no data record for type

Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:19:21 Collecting Usenet News from news.demon.co.uk
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:19:36 Failed to connect to news machine
news.demon.co.uk : [translating host name to IP address]
Connection failed - Host not found
-- Winsock ERROR : Valid name, no data record for type

Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:19:36 News connection to news.demon.co.uk completed
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:22:01 Collecting mail from POP3 server
POP3.demon.co.uk
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:22:16 Failed to connect to POP3 server
POP3.demon.co.uk:
[translating host name to IP address]
Connection failed - Host not found
-- Winsock ERROR : Valid name, no data record for type

Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:27:02 Collecting mail from POP3 server
pop3.demon.co.uk
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:27:17 Failed to connect to POP3 server
pop3.demon.co.uk:
[translating host name to IP address]
Connection failed - Host not found
-- Winsock ERROR : Valid name, no data record for type

Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:29:21 Collecting Usenet News from news.demon.co.uk
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:29:36 Failed to connect to news machine
news.demon.co.uk : [translating host name to IP address]
Connection failed - Host not found
-- Winsock ERROR : Valid name, no data record for type

Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:29:36 News connection to news.demon.co.uk completed

Rebooted my ADSL router and everything seemed normal.

Finger Status shows
bishopvi Some Broadband customers may currently be unable to
connect.
21:44 Nov 12 Engineers are investigating.
--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Peter Grange

Nov 12, 2008, 6:37:07 PM11/12/08
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:48:23 -0800 (PST), Matt Gibson
<gothic...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here it looks as if what happened was the router disconnected,
reconnected and picked up the same naff addresses as above (or at
least similar, as memory serves). Tried telling router to disconnect
and reconnect, got the same, so rebooted router and it all worked
fine. Shrugged shoulders and forgot about it until I read this thread.
I reckon the down time was <15 mins.

Pete

Peter Ceresole

Nov 12, 2008, 8:57:14 PM11/12/08
Trevor Wright <news...@thewrights.uk.com> wrote:

> Router apparently disconnected here - rare, bordering on unique. Back
> on now (obviously)

My router said it was connected, but the outside world had disappeared.

I waited (went to sleep for some time) and it has come back. As you say,
very, very rare.
--
Peter

Harry

Nov 13, 2008, 11:57:22 AM11/13/08

"Peter Grange" <pe...@plgrange.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
We have a demon connection at work and this happened on Tuesday lunch time.
It happened at home also on a demon connection yesterday evening (like most
it seems)
Has this got anything to do with Unable and careless taking over thus/demon
internet?
Have we been moved to there connection?
Comment please

Tony Quinn

Nov 13, 2008, 12:10:02 PM11/13/08
In message <T%YSk.39692$AS2....@newsfe20.ams2>, Harry
<ha...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>>>Are those the numbers that indicate that I'm through to the BT side of
>>>things, but not routing through Demon? That's all I can think of as a
>>>diagnosis at the mo...
>>>
>> Here it looks as if what happened was the router disconnected,
>> reconnected and picked up the same naff addresses as above (or at
>> least similar, as memory serves). Tried telling router to disconnect
>> and reconnect, got the same, so rebooted router and it all worked
>> fine. Shrugged shoulders and forgot about it until I read this thread.
>> I reckon the down time was <15 mins.
>>
>> Pete
>We have a demon connection at work and this happened on Tuesday lunch time.
>It happened at home also on a demon connection yesterday evening (like most
>it seems)
>Has this got anything to do with Unable and careless taking over thus/demon
>internet?
>Have we been moved to there connection?

During the outage I couldn't even ping the Demon DNS machines - it's
possible that a key router failed.
--
If one person has delusions, we call them psychotic. If, however, 1.5 billion
people have delusions we must apparently call them a religious group, and

Soruk

Nov 13, 2008, 12:53:51 PM11/13/08
On 2008-11-12, Ian Jackson <ianREMOVET...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Same here (S Bucks) - right in the middle of doing a manual Windows
> Update (which confused me). On my Linksys router, it looked as if the
> ADSL line had been dropped. I rebooted it (and the PC) a few times, and
> eventually the line came back. However, when trying to connect, I got
> the 'You will need to buy a universal licence' message. I then tried my
> now-unused Speedtouch modem, and this connected first try. About 30
> minutes, I reverted to the router, and all was OK again.

When my link did the same, my router was reporting an IP starting
81.x.x.x (I didn't note it down), normally I'm in 62.49.x.x. My logs
pointed to it happening at about 8:04pm.

A disconnect and reconnect of the router when I got home and I was back
on my correct IP and packets were flowing again.

Clifford Frisby

Nov 14, 2008, 4:12:16 AM11/14/08
Matt Gibson wrote:

Now that you mention it, yes. Sometime between 20:00 and 20:15 judging by
the DNS failures in my logs, but no indication of a problem at PPP level.

I noticed it at about 20:55 and restarted the PPP layer. First attempt got
successful CHAP authentication, but then failed with 'Peer refused to agree
to our IP address' (which is a first, I think). Second attempt was
successful though.

Insistence on having my allocated IP address is probably something I
configured about 12 years ago when I first got my Demon dial-up account, on
a sort of "well I know it's probably pointless, but why not?" basis. (Or
did we have to do it, back then?) Well, I guess this was probably the first
time it had any sort of effect whatsoever!