Cucumber in your testing salad?

Kenneth Kalmer

Jun 10, 2009, 6:51:58 PM6/10/09
to daemo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

I've started on a long term project called ruote-kit [1], which is a RESTful wrapper around John Mettraux's ruote [2] workflow engine. Apart from my own production use, the plans for ruote-kit has been a major driver in what is bundled inside daemon-kit today, and will probably fuel the changes for some time to come.

For ruote-kit I planned on writing the entire daemon from the "outside-in" using Cucumber. This lead me to the bunch of changes I pushed up a few moments ago, which now includes rudimentary support for cucumber.

In your existing daemons:

$ rake daemon_kit:upgrade
$ ./script/generate cucumber

For new daemons, simply pass the --cucumber argument:

$ daemon_kit cukes --cucumber

This gives you the familiar features/ , features/step_definitions and features/support setup that you've come to love in Rails. The environment (or world) is however free of webrat or any Rails integration test magic.

This adds to the default rspec testing included in each daemon, hopefully making it easier for all of us. As for testing a daemon, I'm no expert (yet), but these little steps will help us gain experience and discipline, at least I hope so.

I've not bumped the version in the Github gemspec, nor released a new gem. I'll battle test this feature over the coming days and fix any possible annoyances I find, and you guys report. As a refresh, here is how to get the update:

$ git clone git://github.com/kennethkalmer/daemon-kit.git
$ rake gem
$ sudo gem install pkg/daemon-kit-0.1.7.6.gem

Best

--
Kenneth Kalmer
kenneth...@gmail.com